Termy swap specific questions

TheDragon

Reaction score
ok so for starters i dont yet have an sn95 mustang. i just recently bought an 05 mustang.

Ive been poking around forums and such deciding if i should mod my v6 mustang or im also toying with the idea of getting an sn95 body and doing a termy swap.

What i know
1) i need the engine obviously.
2) i need a new tranny (probly a T56 6 speed)
3) i need a new rear end
4) i need a new computer
5) i need a new wiring harness

Now what im not so sure on. if i get the sn95 body either a v6 or a gt, depends on how much the v6 will save me, can i get a t56 fitted to it that will also wire to the termy engine? i ask this because i wouldnt be able to get the termy engine for several years.

Also same question on the rear end, can i use the 8.8" rear with a v6 or v8 GT engine?

also if anyone can give me rough estimates. as far as i can tell a termy engine will probly run 7-8k. the tranny im seeing about 1.5k
how much would the new rear end/computer/and harness run me.

Also i am an amature, if i have help how likely will i be able to do this?

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
T56s came on terminator cobras. you can snag a pair (motor and transmission) off ebay as a kit.
this being said, im not sure about the T56's computers/electronics vs. whatever a V6 msutang has.

the 8.8 rear end came in many different ford cars/trucks. you can use it on any mustang application. the V6 msutangs have a 7.5 rear end, so if you get a V6 mustang, plan on changing that out rather quickly once you get some power. all 1994-2004 mustang V8s came with an 8.8 rear end (although 99+ cobras have the IRS back end)

you can get just the motor and tranny off ebay for roughly $5,000.00 (USD)
i spent 6375.00 on just my motor, but it came with 100% of the computer equipment out of the cobra, along with intake, exhaust, MAF, etc. etc.

you can pull an 8.8 rear end out of another car at the junk yard for $200.00, then spend $1000.00 in parts and labor fixing it up.

being an "amature" you wont be able to re-build the rear end. but from what ive read (and ive read ALOT) on the termi swap, you should be able to do it fine.

i suggest buying a 1999+ mustang GT and doing the swap. that way you dont have to worry about the fuel system, the computer junk is alot alike, and you wont have to replace the entire rear end.

if you get a 1994 V6 mustang (for example) youll have to replace pretty much everything... im not 100% sure on the computer stuff and if it will work from a V6.

I'm begining this swap as well, and you'll get alot of great help from users on this forum.

here's what ive got so far (feel free to correct me if im wrong, veteran members)

you can use the OEM computer from a 1996+ V8 mustang. there is no major need to swap to a cobra computer as well, unless the opportunity presents itself, and its economical.

you can use OEM fuel system foundation from 1996+ V8 Mustangs. the difference is switching from return style (1996-1998.5) to returnless (1998.5-2004) this is not mandatory, if you use the equipment off the 1996-1998.5 on the 2003/2004 cobra motor.

1) engine: runs roughly $4,000.00 by itself, fully assembled, and running. This is the easiest way to obtain a "terminator" style motor, as getting bits and pieces its timely and expensive.

2) tranny: any transmission that bolts to the 4.6L motor will work. T45, for example. no need for a T56 right away, but the T56 is a much more durable transmission.

3) rearend: an OEM 8.8 rear end is fairly durable. i suggest getting a GT mustang and driving it until the rear end explodes, then worry about upgrading it. If you get a V6 mustang, you will have to swap to an 8.8 or 9" almost immediately.

4) computer: uncertain about V6 computer systems, but with a 1996+ OBDII swapping computers isnt mandatory, and some of our veteran members suggested i not changed because of the hassle.

5) wiring: this goes in line with the computer. you can keep you OEM 1996+ equipment, but you will have to change from coil on plug ignition to coil-pack style, amongst other minor things.

some of out members have already done the swap, and they can chime in with more accurate information.

jthorn9

Reaction score
A lot of money needs to be invested to put things simply. You'd almost be better off buying a v6 mustang and doing the m112 swap which will run you near 2 grand.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online