Tesla Model S Driver killed while on AutoPilot

1998cobrasvt

Reaction score
Driver was apparently watching Harry Potter on a portable DVD player (since Tesla Motors Inc. said it is not possible to watch videos on the Model S touch screen.)
https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/jul/01/tesla-driver-killed-autopilot-self-driving-car-harry-potter

Read this in the article you just posted

"According to Tesla’s account of the crash, the car’s sensor system, against a bright spring sky, failed to distinguish a large white 18-wheel truck and trailer crossing the u. In a blogpost, Tesla said the self-driving car attempted to drive full speed under the trailer “with the bottom of the trailer impacting the windshield of the Model S”."

Jesus.

Tally_4.6

Reaction score
Lol are you kidding tally? Did you care to ask why i dont use cruise control before making assumptions?

The reason i dont use cruise control is for one reason only. I ENJOY DRIVING. :) I trust the use of cruise control on my daily and on my cobra, But its rarely used because i enjoy driving.

It's something to be said about having your leg in a fixed position for 3_4 hours. When the cruise in my black car wasn't working I learned to use my left foot for acceleration purposes cause of the cramps. Driving to tallahassee or miami requires cruise control.

Tha trap house.

1998cobrasvt

Reaction score
It's something to be said about having your leg in a fixed position for 3_4 hours. When the cruise in my black car wasn't working I learned to use my left foot for acceleration purposes cause of the cramps. Driving to tallahassee or miami requires cruise control.

Tha trap house.

I see your point dont get me wrong. Thats what it was made for and it can come in handy and thats about that only time i was refering to in the "Rarely used" eariler. If i was on about a 500 mile trip i might mess with the cruise control for about 20 miles of the trip just for fun safely messing with the accel decel buttons when permitted my foot does not stay afixed in the same position :) Because 12 second car.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Just made a 1,250 mile round trip to Florida and back over the last week and cruise was on the majority of the trip!!! Lol

This message courtesy of crapatalk!

OP
OP
mcglsr2

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
The auto pilot features are still in beta testing and you have to go through a process to activate them in the new cars. The driver was very aware of how the system works and enjoyed it enough to make a few YouTube videos showing it off. I've been genuinely interested in how the stuff works since they first started talking about working towards autonomous cars from an engineering stand-point so I've been keeping up with this story. The features in these cars are not a 100% autonomous driver with 0 driver interaction. It's more or less a system that can judge and make basic decisions and avoid certains along with alerting the driver in case of a problem to take control.

Tragic loss, don't get me wrong, but no system with human interaction will ever be perfect, so the first was bound to happen eventually. I wouldn't dismiss the technology so quick considering these are literally the very beginnings of it. I will be MUCH happier with all the texting idiots on autopilot rather than slamming into me without it.

I totally get what you are saying. From a technological point of view, it's pretty interesting stuff. But for something like that to work, *everybody* has to be be using it. And yah, there are people now that don't pay attention and stuff - even more if this becomes "normal." More and more people will be texting and stuff. So we will rely more and more on hoping that the car's software is up to snuff. Having a mixture of cars that can communicate with each other and self-drive along with humans in control and completely unpredictable will be quite the tough nut to crack.

Tha trap house.

Yah, no cruise here. When I was at college, it was about an 8 to 9 hour trip from school to home. Drove the entire time with no cruise ;)

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I agree.
at some point, the computer will have to choose who dies.... or mess up. either way I'll keep my hands on the wheel, eyes on the road, and other cars...

Nighttrain

Reaction score
AUTO PILOT.....listen, im not driving a spaceship and this aint star trek. I started driving at twelve years old because i love cars, i LOVE to drive, and drive fast. The neccesity of driving didnt happen till later. Now end rant....
If i wanted auto pilot id ride a friggin bus...

BMAC96GT

Reaction score
Hell, I use cruise on any road above 55mph....lots of times on roads less than 55mph lol. If Im not in a hurry it keeps me from speeding and getting a ticket. I love it

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TN95gt

Members online