The engine comes out this weekend *new vid on #121*

Marvin97

Reaction score
Re: The engine comes out this weekend *Update on post #91*

I feel you man, I've had mine apart since December putting new head gaskets on it. All the time spent ordering gaskets and having the heads machined and doing all the little stuff will kill u. Mine started last friday, Im going today to put insurance back on it, and after I too fix some vacuum line leaking issues, i'll be driving mine home tonight. Keep on keeping on
:thumbsup:

OP
OP
R

Rice_slayer

Reaction score
Re: The engine comes out this weekend *Update on post #91*

^ I feel worse for you, 4v's are A LOT more complex than a 5.0L in my eyes :p. You are right, getting things back together is a pain, but getting it actually running is even more of a pain. IF i get it running properly, it gets plated tonight again :). I'll also post a video of it, but it didn't sound like the same car at all when it ran for a bit...

Petek

Reaction score
Re: The engine comes out this weekend *project complete, vid on post #102*

Very awesome !

Steven

Legend
Reaction score

Sounds good buddy. Seems to be idling pretty well though. Some cars will flat out just not even idle with those kits, and others run like raped apes. Weird. A small tune and some tweaking, it'll sound damn good

OP
OP
R

Rice_slayer

Reaction score

It's got some issues though. when I try to give it 1/2 throttle or more it pops and backfires, also I have to give it a little gas to start it too. I think this is all timing related issues as we set timing without light since I have to get the timing light from my teacher tomorrow. Lights on driver side are also very dim, but I think thats a ground problem.

mygreengt

Legend
Reaction score

sounds good! how does it feel to be back behind the wheel

OP
OP
R

Rice_slayer

Reaction score

Feels good, but car feels alot different, need to get used to it and the bugs out, but seems like it will be faster once I figure stuff out lol.

mygreengt

Legend
Reaction score

i would hope it would be faster after all that work

Marvin97

Reaction score

Glad its up and running again man

Steve-Oh

Legend
Reaction score

SAweet man. I'm pondering a set of heads and a cam for my car as well. Cam hard to install, any problems to look out for? I haven't read the whole thread so this might have been answered already.

OP
OP
R

Rice_slayer

Reaction score

Cam install wasn't hard, make sure she is nice and lubed up. Setting the rockers was hard though. The exhaust is leaking bad(getting a nice ticking noise lol). Fixing that and timing tonight, we'll see how it goes.

Steven

Legend
Reaction score

Cam install = Cake. Steve-oh, pick up the AFM lifter grabbers to keep you from having to pull the intake if you don't go with heads. I'm sure it will be a world of difference with some more tweaking.

OP
OP
R

Rice_slayer

Reaction score

Well, got the headers tighten, the one side is still ticking a little bit, but I will keep tightening myself for a few weeks then bring it to a muffler shop. Anywho, We had the dizzy out 1 cog, after we got then dizzy back in place and timing set to 14 degrees, car runs and idles A LOT better than before. Stomped on it and the car died though :( My dad got out, and noticed an ignition wire was off, and probably caused my tach issues, and it did. Back on, fired it up and HOLY ****, Cams feel nice at around 3k, pulls really hard now. So the car is running decently now, just need a tune to smoothen out idle/get the most out of it. Still have the driver's side light dim and foglights very dim issue, I have a bad ground somewhere, but I'll look into that on Saturday. Anyone in doubt of this kit, I would do it if you have the cash, Defiantly makes the car a lot more fun to drive around in, and turns heads lol.

duh09

Legend
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score

Sweeettt man! Glad to see the bugs getting worked out!

OP
OP
R

Rice_slayer

Reaction score

I will tomorrow for you guys, but it idles higher and smoother now, and I can actually accelerate. I have to get a wheel alignment done saturday even though I got the new rack close to what it use to be, it still is off quite a bit.

Steve-Oh

Legend
Reaction score

Glad to hear you got some bugs worked out. Thanks for the info too, both you and Steve. Isn't it supposed to idle low and lopey like that though?! You don't want it to idle smooth?! IDK

OP
OP
R

Rice_slayer

Reaction score

I want it so it isn't struggling to run at idle, which it is doing better at idle now. It drives fine now, but remember, this is just a TFS stage 1 cam, nothing overly wild, so it isn't suppose to sound like it has huge lift lol.

Reaction score

just read the whole thread! looks great man! wheres the new vid?!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EdgarR213

Members online