The M90 swap BIBLE

slow_v6_stang

Reaction score
I've been seeing a few people on here that are doing the M90 swap, so I thought it'd be beneficial to write down all necessary stuff for the swap. This info is based off of a combination of my own knowlege, V6Sprout's write-up on v6power.net, and other bits and pieces of information I find here and there. I will add to this as I think of stuff to add and as I get the time until I feel it is the IDEAL M90 swap bible that I wish I had when I did my swap :thumb:.

Because I am writing this as something that I wish I would have had when I did the swap on my car, this is written for a swap that...
-Is based on a stock Super Coupe setup
-Uses the Mustang radiator and fan (however it is a VERY tight squeeze to get that intercooler to fit!)
-Does not use the EGR (will not pass emissions)
-Uses a tune from VMP tuning

JUST SWAPPING THE BLOWER ON TO YOUR N/A 94-98 V6 MUSTANG BLOCK? READ THIS!
YOU'LL NEED THESE PARTS...
-Eaton M90 blower (off of a 89-95 Thunderbird Super Coupe)
-Super Coupe Blower top (often refered to as a "blower hat")
-Super Coupe Lower Intake Manifold
-Super Coupe Inlet Plenum (connects the throttle body to the blower)
-Super Coupe Air Intake Tube (you'll use this to connect your 94-95 Mustang GT throttle body to your stock V6 Mustang MAF)
-94-95 Mustang GT throttle body (Super Coupe throttle body WILL NOT work with the Mustang throttle cables!!!)
-Super Coupe Upper Intake Manifold (connects the lower intercooler tube to the lower intake manifold)
-Super Coupe Thermostat Housing
-Super Coupe Jackshaft Pulley Bracket (accessories bracket that mounts on passenger side head)
-Super Coupe Power Steering Pump Bracket (accessories bracket that mounts on the drivers side head)
-Super Coupe Crank Pulley
-Super Coupe Water Pump
-Super Coupe tensioner pulleys (for accessories belt, jackshaft belt, and blower belt)
-Super Coupe Injectors (89-93 Super Coupes had 30lb/hr injectors, 94-95 Super Coupes had 36lb/hr injectors)
-Super Coupe Fuel Rail
-Super Coupe throttle cable bracket (you will have to use the base of the Super Coupe bracket and weld it to the end of the Mustang bracket)
-94-95 Timing Chain Cover (if you have a 96-98, you'll need either a 94-95 Mustang OR a 94-95 Super Coupe timing chain cover)
-Super Coupe Intercooler
-Super Coupe Valve Covers
-Super Coupe coil pack bracket (will probably be already attached to your Power Steering Pump Bracket)
-Super Coupe Throttle Position Sensor
-Super Coupe Throttle Position Sensor Pigtail (needs to be soldered into your mustang wiring harness)
-Super Coupe Intake Air Temp Sensor
-Super Coupe Intake Air Temp Sensor Pigtail (needs to be soldered into your mustang wiring harness)
AND DONT FORGET TO...
-Replace the Super Coupe water temp sensor with the Mustang water temp sensor (this way you can use as much of the Mustang wiring harness as possible)
-Bend the brake line (the one that is the closest to the front of the car, the one that is closest to the firewall will clear just fine) that comes out of the master cylinder towards the rear of the car to make room for the lower intercooler tube.

SWAPPING IN THE COMPLETE SUPER COUPE ENGINE? READ THIS!
YOU'LL NEED THESE PARTS...
-All of the parts listed above
-Super Coupe engine (obviously...)
-94-95 Super Coupe harmonic balancer OR 97-98 4.2L F-150 harmonic balancer
-01-04 Mustang Flexplate (for automatics) or Flywheel (for manuals)
AND DONT FORGET TO...
-Do all of the stuff listed above
-Remove the Super Coupe engine mounts and replace them with the Mustang engine mounts.
-Remove the knock sensor and heat shield from the passenger side of the Super Coupe block and replace it with the plug on the passenger side of your Mustang block. If memory serves me right, it gets in the way of the Mustang motor mounts.
-Use your Mustang oil pan, the Super Coupe oil pan has an oil level sensor that is not needed
-Replace the Super Coupe oil pressure sensor with the Mustang oil pressure sensor (this way you can use as much of your Mustang engine wiring harness as possible)

OTHER PARTS NEEDED FOR THE SWAP
-Accessories Belt (Dayco Part# 5060895, you'll be using a 6 rib belt because you'll be using your Mustang accessories pulleys)
-Jackshaft Belt (Dayco Part# 5070425)
-Blower Belt (Dayco Part# 5080393)
-Super Coupe upper radiator hose
-Teflon IC tube gasket set (not needed, but they are the cat's meow. You can get an air tight seal on your intercooler tubes without using that nasty messy tape stuff. I got mine from Ddubb @ sccoa.com, he makes them)
-Engine Gasket set (I got mine from supercoupeperformance.com...great place to deal with)
-Super Coupe spark plugs gapped at .035" (gap specified by VMP tuning)
-Super Coupe thermostat (while you have the thermostat housing off, you might as well get a new thermostat...they're cheap)
-Fuel pump (Walbro 255lph for 94-97's and a Ford Focus 310lph for 98's)

CUSTOM WORK NEEDED TO DO FOR THE SWAP
-EGR block-off plate for the inlet plenum (mine is just made of an oval piece of scrap stainless steel that my dad brought home from work)

-Block off the EGR on the exhaust manifold (I took off the EGR tube, cut the tube and slid it thru the EGR nut. After I did that, I cut a piece of sheet metal into the shape of about a dime and put it in the hole of the EGR nut...where the tube used to be, and welded it there to fill the hole. I threaded the EGR nut, that is now completely sealed off, back on to the exhaust manifold)

-Throttle cable bracket (I took the Super Coupe throttle cable bracket and cut off the end where the super coupe throttle cable mounts to. I also took the Mustang throttle cable bracket and cut off the base that mounts to the Mustang upper intake manifold. Now that you're left with the end of the Mustang throttle cable bracket and the base of the Super Coupe throttle cable bracket, weld the two together. Make sure to mock it up before you weld it to make sure you are welding it in the right position!) As of right now, the cruise control cable is too short. This winter I plan on making a custom throttle cable bracket from scratch, which will make the cruise control fully functional. I am a drafter, so I will make a fully dimensioned drawing, including bend lines, and will post it here so everyone can make their own throttle cable bracket and have cruise control

-Air Conditioning...This is completely optional, depending on if you need A/C or not. I chose not to mainly to make things cheaper and less of a hassle. If you DO want A/C, you'll need to get A/C lines from a 94-95 Super Coupe. You'll need a local hydraullic hose shop to splice your Mustang low pressure side (comes from the accumulator/dryer and goes to the compresser) to the 94-95 Super Coupe low pressure side A/C line. As for the high pressure side (goes from the compresser to the condenser), that should hook up fine with no modifications.

YOU'LL NEED THESE SPECIAL TOOLS
-Harmonic Balancer Removal Tool (not needed if you are swapping the Super Coupe stuff on to your 94-95 Mustang block OR if you are swapping in a complete 94-95 Super Coupe engine)
-Power Steering Pump Pulley Puller (the pulley needs to be removed in order to transfer the power steering pump from your Mustang accessores bracket to the Super Coupe accessories bracket)
-Fuel Line Disconnect Tool (a set can be purchased for somewhere around $5-$10 at autozone, you'll need these to detach your fuel lines from the fuel rail and you'll use them to disconnect the A/C lines)

VACUUM LINES
-from the Inlet Plenum to the threaded fitting on the upper intake
-from the Inlet Plenum to the PCV valve on drivers side valve cover
-there should be 3 fittings on the Inlet Plenum, the third one should be capped off
-from the Upper Intake to a boost/vacuum gauge
-from the Upper Intake to a T fitting, one going to the fuel pressure regulator and one to the bypass valve
-from the threaded fitting on the Upper Intake to the shorter of the two brake booster lines
-from the PCV valve on the passenger side valve cover to the air intake tube (between the MAF and throttle body)
-from the brake booster (the longer of the two coming from the brake booster) to a T fitting, one going to each vacuum line for the interior vents (both vacuum lines are located on the far passenger side of the firewall)

OP
OP
S

slow_v6_stang

Reaction score
Doc_G said:
good stuff thus far mane... :dancing6:

it has only begun, it will take quite a bit of time to get everything down that i want in this...eventually i hope to get a step-by-step how-to written down with some pics :thumb:

OP
OP
S

slow_v6_stang

Reaction score
ive been pretty busy and havent been able to work on this much...it already has tons of info that is helpful, but it could use more

1slosn95

Reaction score
im getting ready to do the swap i have evrything...i just need a tunerr

v6mustang94

Reaction score
Good luck with your swap. Let us know how it goes.

I suggest going to VMPtuning.com for a SCT Xcal II. Justin knows his stuff and will get you a great tune. Hopefully at some point you'll be able to go a step further and get a dyno tune.

OP
OP
S

slow_v6_stang

Reaction score
if at all possible, get a dyno tune right off the bat. i currently run a mail order tune from VMP, i think i'll end up getting a dyno tune this summer. you wont get a PERFECT tune by mail order.

x182dan

Reaction score
nice nice I've had two supercoupes. One day I want to put a supercoupe engine in a notchback stang and make it a sleeper. Your write up will def. help me a long my way.
Dan

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carolinastang78

Members online