The S197. Light track duty car ...

RichV

Reaction score
Gonna run TT this year, plus do some NASA instructing.

Got a 05 GT to DD and serve as a light track car. When I bought it ...

Haven't done too much ... yet. But not planning to.

Staying in TTD class really limits my modifications. Basically a stock 05 GT classes TTD and only has 5 points before TTC. So, my CAI is +1, some non OE swaybars is +2 (these are from a Brembo GT, $50 on craigs :D) and +1 for running 255mm tires instead of the D class 245mm. Not sure what else to do with 1 point, but here's how she looks with the new wheels. I picked up some Brembo GT wheels with 255 Pirellis for $600. Not a bad deal, drove them today for the first time. Definitely some sticky rubber.

Definitely a little deflated when I weighed it. 3700# with me in it!! I gotta shed some weight somewhere.

wmfateam

Reaction score
Very nice. My two cents would be some way to adjust camber or free up the exhaust. Not sure how the point system goes, haven't started nasa yet myself. When we ran or GT500, pushing was our biggest issue.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
RichV

RichV

Reaction score
Yea, the stupid stock shocks/springs are a little squishy. But I can't take the 8 points to swap them out.

Hence the swaybars, the front Brembo bar is a little thicker than a stock 05 GT. But my rear bar looks like a toothpick compared to the Brembo rear. That should definitely help front grip.

I still need a shifter, the OEM one is horrible. Possibly some rear LCAs too. But that will probably wait for a few weeks.

whiplash473

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Nice going, Rich. Always cool to see what you're up to in the track world.

ba#97

Reaction score
Gonna run TT this year, plus do some NASA instructing.

Got a 05 GT to DD and serve as a light track car. When I bought it ...

Haven't done too much ... yet. But not planning to.

Staying in TTD class really limits my modifications. Basically a stock 05 GT classes TTD and only has 5 points before TTC. So, my CAI is +1, some non OE swaybars is +2 (these are from a Brembo GT, $50 on craigs :D) and +1 for running 255mm tires instead of the D class 245mm. Not sure what else to do with 1 point, but here's how she looks with the new wheels. I picked up some Brembo GT wheels with 255 Pirellis for $600. Not a bad deal, drove them today for the first time. Definitely some sticky rubber.

Definitely a little deflated when I weighed it. 3700# with me in it!! I gotta shed some weight somewhere.

I know how us track guys are and I can sense a spec iron build sometime soon out of this car. Lol.

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Yea, the stupid stock shocks/springs are a little squishy. But I can't take the 8 points to swap them out.

Hence the swaybars, the front Brembo bar is a little thicker than a stock 05 GT. But my rear bar looks like a toothpick compared to the Brembo rear. That should definitely help front grip.

I still need a shifter, the OEM one is horrible. Possibly some rear LCAs too. But that will probably wait for a few weeks.

Ahem. Rich just ignores everything I say ;p

OP
OP
RichV

RichV

Reaction score
I know how us track guys are and I can sense a spec iron build sometime soon out of this car. Lol.

Totally reading my mind.

2 years ...

KY3kgCB.jpg

OP
OP
RichV

RichV

Reaction score
Ahem. Rich just ignores everything I say ;p

Gettin' to it. Wheels, swaybars, family vacation to Orlando, taking priority right now.

Hey, maybe we can all stay at your place. Save some green!! :D

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Gettin' to it. Wheels, swaybars, family vacation to Orlando, taking priority right now.

Hey, maybe we can all stay at your place. Save some green!! :D

LET ME KNOW WHEN YOU'RE HERE!!

Might be able to organize a little cruise or something (yes I understand your car won't be here, but you could join in!) so your family can have some fun!

ba#97

Reaction score
Totally reading my mind.

2 years ...

KY3kgCB.jpg

Yeah the new spec iron class is making some waves in the NASA community and everyone seems to be very interested in switching over to it. I think it'll take over soon enough as one of the predominant classes to race in. Solid, fast platforms with a decent mod list in a spec class....looks like a blast. You have a great starting point to get there someday.I'm jealous. Have you had it out to the track yet? Size wise how does it feel compared to the sn? Size is really the only thing holding me back from one of those and starting a spec build with one. Autocrosses my brothers and the first thing I noticed is how much of the course you lose sight on just from the noae alone.

OP
OP
RichV

RichV

Reaction score
Haven't had it out yet. That'll change in the next few weeks. I just registered for the 1st NASA weekend, but I think it will be more orientation and training for my instructor stuff. May get the 05 out, we'll see.

OP
OP
RichV

RichV

Reaction score
LET ME KNOW WHEN YOU'RE HERE!!

Might be able to organize a little cruise or something (yes I understand your car won't be here, but you could join in!) so your family can have some fun!

Cool! We're still in the planning phases on where to chill after Disney. Gettin close to pulling the trigger on the whole thing.

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
Rich, shifter still pending lol. I recommend you swap the sway bar end links for the newer style (if that TSB hasn't been done prior to your ownership) Syptoms of their demise are a creaking and popping when turning the tiller.

626d746b.jpg

d60b642f.jpg

You need a SCT tuner and a tune!! The drive-by-wire TB is lazy with the stock tune. That will wake it up for sure.

Also, the factory exhaust isn't very restrictive. We literally gained 2 hp [ LOL ] switching to a MAC axleback.

OP
OP
RichV

RichV

Reaction score
Good to know on the end links. Add that to the list.

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
Does it rain a lot where you live Rich? If so, you need to pull the passenger side of the wiper cowl panel off, remove the oblong shaped-rubber drainage grommet and trim it to where it's always open. If not, it WILL eventually clog up with debris and water WILL enter via the cabin air filter (replace filter if it's any color besides white while you're in there. 15-20$) and can/will wreak havoc.

ask me how I know...

Oh and get some charge motion delete plates... Then don't tell the tech guys you did it.. Unless thy make you pull your intake.. :evil:

intakeonground.jpg

What's the deal on those? What do they do? And removing them does what?

It allows the runoff from rain water into the cowl panel to drain. It's a uber-design flaw.. TSB repair item and general brain fart by the design team!!! Don't remove it, just trim the "flaps" so that it always flows freely.

*esit- you meant the charge motion crap.. Same thing as IMRC on a 4v, they close at low speed to promote torque and open at wot.. Remove them adds throttle response and a few hp.

OP
OP
RichV

RichV

Reaction score
What's the deal on those? What do they do? And removing them does what?

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
Detail of charge motion shit

oldchargemotionplate.jpg

After:

deleteplate.jpg

whoever tunes your ride can turn the system off after removal.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online