"There are no long tubes"

kyle94gt

Reaction score
OnyxCobra said:
I don't think it was so much the Fast and the Furious's fault as it was all the stupid ricers that was the result of it. In the movie they were using NOS brand nitrous, so saying NOS was accurate in the movie.

yeah it wasn't those guys faults completely since they used the NOS brand but was all the rerun ricers that saw the movie and went out in the parking lots and did burnouts in their moms honda. haha tis still funny to hear them talk...

OP
OP
M

Mr. OAM

Reaction score
V said:
The issue being here steve, is that as time goes on, common terms, names, ideals, etc all change, and so does the car community. The introduction of a 'shorty' style header is just part of it, and far from it is the idea that its not performance oriented, however I do understand that it is by no means a longtube in performance gains. That is how it was back in the day, if you didnt run longtubes you ran stock manifolds, but in this day and age there are other ways to do things, so just because of past nicknames and common terms of parts from back in the day, that doesn't justifiably say that tubular exhaust manifolds is therefore the correct term for the day and age. It's all taken with a grain of salt, but headers and longtubes and shortys are all coined terms and ideas made up by the enthusiasts, so by no means are shortys an incorrect term today.

Pretty good post there. I am sure you are right. It's kind of difficult to be there when things happened, knowing the difference, and then interacting with people that were not there and them confusing the difference enough times for the error to now be acceptable.

For perspective, Nitrous Oxide Systems. I read about them in car magazines back in the early 1980's, probably the first officially marketed kit with solenoids for adding gas to the mixture so that the engine wouldn't lean out and detonate. The buzz around us car guys was "nitrous oxide, man." It was that stuff that some racers used. Then you heard "But it will blow up your engine." So everyone was finding out as much as they could about nitrous oxide, which they then learned is N2O. Cool.

And so it was nitrous oxide with kits by Nitrous Oxide Systems, Zex, and a few others. Then along came Fast and the Furious. As others mentioned here, Nitrous Oxide Systems' kit was used on the cars but the characters didn't refer to this as "nitrous", instead they said "naws." (Incidently, before this movie I never heard anyone refer to it that way)

Soon after the movie, and now years later, MANY of the auto enthusiasts, mostly ricers, refer to nitrous oxide exclusively as "naws/nawz." Most of these guys are very young and never heard of nitrous oxide before TFAF movie. These people are just plain wrong, but there are sooo many saying it this way that it is now accepted in many circles. This will tick you off everytime...

...kinda like when people call tubular exhaust manifolds "headers." :coolsmiley:

Steve

Steven

Legend
Reaction score
:p I understand that, the NOS thing really annoys me. However it may have been accepted by many, that bu no means should make you have to accept it as a correct term :) Shortys and longtubes are fine with me, i've never really worried about it, but NAWS just sounds plain dumb.

ryclef331

Reaction score
You people have no lives....and I have long-tube/ full-length headers.

Best Regards,

Ry

Nestromo

Reaction score
I have my opinion and you have yours, but I like hearing what old farts have to say. Pretty cool.
I didn't read any post other than the first one, but I hope that I'm the first to ask... did it have a 3/4 cam in it? :rollinglaugh: "Hawged out" heads? :hammer:

PS: It's all in fun. I got off of work a couple of hours ago so... :happydrunks:

OP
OP
M

Mr. OAM

Reaction score
Yeah, I like these generational comparisons too. Just remember, you guys will be going through the exact same thing!!

"No! It's called a throttle body, not a "go valve!" :crazy2:

Steve

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CBR51Stang

Members online