Throttle Body Question - 96' Cobra

Venompower

Reaction score
I recently discovered a vacuum leak at the throttle body. There is a hole on the top of the throttle body that was apparently capped from Ford, well my cap is missing. I've tried to google it and can't find anything about it... what was it for, and why is it even there is they just capped it off?

The upper half of the hole is smooth and 1/2" then about half way down it decreases in size and has threads. I took the Throttle Body to Menards last night and it's not as far as I can tell a normal pitch for either SAE/Metric. Does anybody have any information about this?
tb-hole.jpg

I also found upon removal that the previous owner reinstalled the throttle body after having the intake powder coated with no gasket... so that will be ordered as well.

Merlin

Reaction score
I recently discovered a vacuum leak at the throttle body. There is a hole on the top of the throttle body that was apparently capped from Ford, well my cap is missing. I've tried to google it and can't find anything about it... what was it for, and why is it even there is they just capped it off?

The upper half of the hole is smooth and 1/2" then about half way down it decreases in size and has threads. I took the Throttle Body to Menards last night and it's not as far as I can tell a normal pitch for either SAE/Metric. Does anybody have any information about this?
tb-hole.jpg

I also found upon removal that the previous owner reinstalled the throttle body after having the intake powder coated with no gasket... so that will be ordered as well.

If it is threaded it is most likely 1/8 in pipe thread. Please do not plug it with RTV, it will most likely get stuck into the engine. You will then have another vacuum leak and crud inside your engine

OP
OP
Venompower

Venompower

Reaction score
I don't see any thread in there myself? a dab of rtv would probably work.

Trust me there is thread, it's just hard to take a picture of...

If it is threaded it is most likely 1/8 in pipe thread. Please do not plug it with RTV, it will most likely get stuck into the engine. You will then have another vacuum leak and crud inside your engine

I have no intention of putting RTV in to try and seal it, if I can't find the thread size or a stock throttle body that still has the plug... then I'm likely going to pull the upper intake and grab an Accufab.

Shifty Powers

Reaction score
HMM Never noticed this on my TB. Could be there but I cant see it in pictures and I dont live with my car. But based on pictures it is a little rubber cap or so.

If you feel you need to replace it, try finding a used one. You will gain absolutely nothing from getting an accufab/bigger TB on these cars. Plus it should cost less

OP
OP
Venompower

Venompower

Reaction score
HMM Never noticed this on my TB. Could be there but I cant see it in pictures and I dont live with my car. But based on pictures it is a little rubber cap or so.

If you feel you need to replace it, try finding a used one. You will gain absolutely nothing from getting an accufab/bigger TB on these cars. Plus it should cost less
The issue is finding such a specific throttle body used, as you said the accufab isn't really an upgrade.

Shifty Powers

Reaction score
The issue is finding such a specific throttle body used, as you said the accufab isn't really an upgrade.
Nothing online is an upgrade for these cars unless you are throwing a KB on it or pushing 500+. So try finding a new one on the forums or FB.. Hell even you-pull-it yards near you. Stock is all you need until that point..

OP
OP
Venompower

Venompower

Reaction score
Nothing online is an upgrade for these cars unless you are throwing a KB on it or pushing 500+. So try finding a new one on the forums or FB.. Hell even you-pull-it yards near you. Stock is all you need until that point..
I've got a Procharger P-1SC... but I still don't think it's necessary over stock.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ccrider

Members online