Thunder in paradise... the snake has developed a misfire...or three

94gtstang50

Reaction score
Ok, so I have this posted on two other sites and I have been sucessful in stumping all of the people there so far, so here it is, the question for the SVT scolars world wide.....

So I go to change the plugs on my 96, I pull out the old ones, platniums which look decent, and put the new ones in, everything goes perfect, then driving I get on the gas a few times, and when I get off the highway and halfway home all of a sudden the motor starts getting boggy. Acceleration and smoothness go to hell and I have have to keep the rpms above 2500 or else it slows down. I have to rev to 2500 to keep her from stalling when taking off from a stand still. At idle the car struggles to stay running under a load (holding brakes, headlamps on, and air going) The lights dim too when I hit the brakes or window switch. I took it to work and hooked it up to the obd2 scanner and I get a misfire detected on cylinders 2,5 and 7. Thought it may be a coil pack or the wires b/c they are both original from 96. I also smell a very strong odor of gas while its running, so I'm am almost positive its not the injectors. I ordered a set of wires off of summit, and they should be here monday, I figured this would be the first step since I tested the wires and they all had pretty high resistence ratings (12-16k ohms) The car has 110,000 miles on it and I am usually very nice to it. Anyone ever have this happen before?

OP
OP

94gtstang50

Reaction score
Ok, thinking its the wires. If not coil packs are next to get tested. As far as the lights dimming thing, probably the alt about to go, which is also going to be tested. Wires arrive monday, I'll let you know the verdict.

EThorpe

Reaction score
You gap'd the Plugs right? I just did mine yesterday, and guess what ;) not one of those MO-FO's came anywhere near the correct gap out the box(.38-.42, should be .54). Also, did you torque those plugs?

You could be right on the wires, maybe the final pull/touch on theim, that's alot miles on a set of wires.

As for the lights dimming and whatnot? that's not cool at all :dunno: could be part/all of the problem of the bogging.

OP
OP

94gtstang50

Reaction score
Plugs are all gapped at .54 (did em myself) None of the wires were mixed up, they were all torqued enough, and as far as the dimming, I think the problem might actually be the alternator going, which might be causing the misfire as well.

OP
OP

94gtstang50

Reaction score
WWOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO BITCHES!!!!!!!!!!! Not only does it run beautifully with the new plugs, wires and mil eliminators, but its 10X faster. I love this car. Looks awesome with the msd wires too.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online