time for the dyno tune or is there any other hints?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
because of my current health situation being so poor I found some guys in my club that are good with motors that wanted to do install the trickflow heads and stage 1 cam. They got everything back together, set the timing and while that helped it is still idling a little low at 680 rpms. Are there any hints/tricks you could recomend or just go to the dyno? Also the shop that does it is a good 40 miles away, should we trailer it or would it be ok to drive it there? 3rd question is that I have an anderson power pipe on the way, should I wait till that comes in to do the tune or just slap it on later? I imagine it wouldn't matter for the tune but it would be nice to know the final numbers with it on.

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
it should be here before then but it is comming from over seas so not really sure when. also I have had a friend suggest that it might not be bad to step up to a lightning maf but not sure I need something that big.

current mods are
Adding the anderson power pipe
75 mm pro-m maf
73 mm TB(can't remember the brand right now)
ported 94 cobra upper/lower with 1/2" phenolic spacer
24 lb injectors
Trick flow 170cc(i think) twisted wedge heads
trick flow stage 1 cam
BBK shorty headers
Magnaflow True-X pipe with high-flow cats
dynomax side exhaust

Would stepping up the maf help? They seem cheap enough used and it would be in the fender with the new pipe so I don't care what it looks like.

rz5.0

Legend
Reaction score
you can but will need a tube for sure.if your current maf is calibrated for the 24s and it runs good you should be fine till your powerpipe gets there. Your idle is fine aslong as it does not stall.

2slo95fiveoh

Reaction score
No, just recalibrate your current MAF for the 24lb injectors (unless it already is).
The Lightning MAF is a common upgrade on forced induction cars, but IIRC on 94/95 it is more complicated to hook up
than 96+.. I could be wrong, but I thought I saw that somewhere.

Mrstangerbanger

Reaction score
So how does the car run ?

Have you driven the car ? How much more power does it feel like it has?
i'm doing the same swap soon and would love the input .. Any problems that you ran into?
What Rockers did you use?
does the Car idle or surge?

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Mrstangerbanger said:
So how does the car run ?

Have you driven the car ? How much more power does it feel like it has?
i'm doing the same swap soon and would love the input .. Any problems that you ran into?
What Rockers did you use?
does the Car idle or surge?

no I have been sick and in the hospital and a friend is working on it. idleing is a little rough right now because he is chasing a leak between the upper and lower intake at the phenolic spacer so we are ordering a new one. He drove it a short way but said it was running rough and didn't take it far, just to get gas.

I used SVO 1.6 roller rockers and the only problems we ran into was having enough space under the valve covers for the RR's and then the space needed above the valve covers from hitting the upper intake. Took a little while but no big deal.

I called a local place that does dyno testing and they are only a couple days out for scheduling at this point. A couple of years ago I tried putting what I thought was a nice used set of holley heads/cam, upgraded the fuel injectors and new headers/x-pipe and then threw it on the dyno to tune them only to watch the crank chew up the bearing on the dyno and eat itself up. At that time I had spent everything I could on it and just needed to get it runnng to move back to the midwest due to my health issues so we just threw a rebuilt stock longblock from jasper eng/trannys, finished the tune I paid for(I assume maximizing the new injectors, intake and new exhaust and was just happy to have it running again. I hope they did the tune and put a chip in it as that will save me money next week when I tune it again as they can just reburn the chip rather then buy a new one. After my first experience on the dyno I am a little hesitant to do it again but it needs to be done.

Addermk2

Reaction score
TFS intake ALL leak at the upper/lower gasket. tell your friends to use a sealant.. like permatex hi tack.

Addermk2

Reaction score
yes... mostly because of the hardware they use to hold the intake down, and the amount of room you have to actually tighten the hardware up.

Like I said, when you replace the gaskets, use some Permatex High Tack. It's a thick red liquid, usually in a can with a brush applicator. Much like a bottle/can of rubber cement (dont use rubber cement... im comparing the containers)

*edit* pic

DSC_7639.jpg

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
not sure what you mean about room to tighten them down. The bolts are on top of the upper intake easily manipulated. I will tell my buddy working on it, thanks for the tip.

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
also what would you guys recomend for a break-in period before it is safe feel free to get on it(other then the dyno tune)? I was plannin on going for along drive and running a couple tanks of gas through it and then changin the oil and checking for shavings or other problems. Good or bad idea?

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
my friends gave me a call tonight and tried the sealer and got it to seal. They took it out for a drive and said it was running but that it has a hanging idle when you push in the clutch the idle hangs around 2k for a little while before it goes back down. They said they didn't mess with the IAC, and the check engine light came on is that all due to needing a tune?

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
uh, dunno. What is that? not to sound dumb but I am when it comes to motors, still learning so any help would be great.

itsblue95

Reaction score
ok i didnt know if you were close to louisville cause i saw somewhere you were from indiana just didnt know where. but there are a few places that around here and one thats really good with mustangs

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carolinastang78

Members online