Timing Cover reseal, cutting old oil pan gasket, need opinions

codfod

Reaction score
So last week my timing cover started leaking pretty badly so I parked the car and just got around to starting to replace the gasket. Once the timing cover was off, I went to cut the old part of the oil pan gasket that is visible with the cover off as you're supposed to but after taking scissors to it I realized that the gasket has a small layer of metal in between the rubber so it's very hard to cut. You're supposed to cut the visible gasket out all the way to the block but with it being metal it's damn near impossible. I've cut it back as far as I can but it's impossible to get an angle on it at this point. The only idea I have at this point is to take a dremel to it. Anybody have a better idea? Pics for reference

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I would think a dremel might screw up the mating surface a bit too much. What are you trying with now? Scissors only?

Have you tried scoring several times with a razor then peeling up with a putty knife?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I would think a box knife would be as far up the tool list as I would go. As he said a dremel will cause more problems then it will solve.

DKblue98GT

Reaction score
I would drop the k member and replace the oil pan gasket. It would be a long day but it can be done in a day.

OP
OP
codfod

codfod

Reaction score
I would think a dremel might screw up the mating surface a bit too much. What are you trying with now? Scissors only?

Have you tried scoring several times with a razor then peeling up with a putty knife?

Yeah, scissors. The metal's somewhat thick, not sure how well it would work, but it's worth a shot.

OP
OP
codfod

codfod

Reaction score
I would think a box knife would be as far up the tool list as I would go. As he said a dremel will cause more problems then it will solve.

I'll try scoring the metal like g36 said, I have a few box knifes I can try.

OP
OP
codfod

codfod

Reaction score
I would drop the k member and replace the oil pan gasket. It would be a long day but it can be done in a day.

That's probably going to be a last resort and even then I'm not sure how I'd be able to make it happen, in a pretty small garage space wise.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
look up an engine support bar from harbor freight. mounts on to the top and supports the motor at the shock towers and you can drop it right out the bottom.

DKblue98GT

Reaction score
That's probably going to be a last resort and even then I'm not sure how I'd be able to make it happen, in a pretty small garage space wise.

I did it in the driveway and used a couple of tall jack stands under the motor mounts because I didn't want to drive across town to Harbor freight tools.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
senior001

Members online