Tip and Tricks for dealing with Customer Service

ProKiller

Reaction score
When you purchase that next new mod for your mustang, you always want to it arrive exactly how you pictured it and in pristine condition....and then once in a while it doesn't. Here's a couple things you should do and know for taking that first step towards resolution from a man on the inside:
http://www.americanmuscle.com/ryand-1994-mustang-gt.html

1. Have your order number, part number, contact information at the ready! This is will save a lot of time when looking up your problem and getting it addressed without a lengthy search.

2. Be able to talk, move, and write down. I can't tell you how many people call me while driving. This is by far the worst time to ever call about a problem (one of my personal pet peeves). You won't have any of number 1 above or #2 below to aid the rep. Just makes everything more difficult to resolve.

3. Have the part near you with the box. Be prepared to go over with the rep on the phone. Write down the rep's name and what was discussed for yourself. I write copious notes in an order when a customer calls, but that doesn't mean everyone does. You may have to refer to it later.

4. Take pictures of the damage or contents of the box. This will help in getting a shipping damage claim started if UPS/FEDEX messed it up. Also will help go over the contents one-by-one if an item is missing. Some manufacturers want this for quality control in the future. Also be prepared to send them in immediately. It doesn't help if you took pictures on your camera but don't know where the cable to plug it into the computer is.

5. Don't blame a reseller for a manufacturer defect or a shipping damage. We all understand how frustrating it is to get something that is broken, but don't take it out on the rep over the phone. This doesn't help you or the seller resolve the issue, just pisses everyone off. Be polite and understand that the seller will make the best of the bad situation as best they can. Most reps are more willing to go to battle with their superiors/policies if the customer is a good person. If you call in yelling and screaming, expected to be treated the same way.

6. If the seller clearly sent you the wrong part, understand that accidents do happen. Again, be calm and polite. They will send you the right part out as soon as possible. Ask about expedited shipping but don't demand it. Shipping can be very expensive depending on the location and product. Understand that the seller is still at the mercy of shipping company. Having a new set of wheels/tires sent from PA to CA takes time and costs a small fortune (Last time I looked, overnight shipping was over $500).

7. Be realistic.
To follow along with #6, don't expect the seller to hand delivery your billet headlight knob across the country because you have a show coming up this weekend. It's just not going to happen. Understand that the seller still has to make some kind of profit at the end of the day and can't loose money on every error whether it's their fault or not. Otherwise they would go out of business. Not saying don't ask for faster shipping, but don't expect overnight shipping on a antenna. That one little mod isn't going keep you from getting to work the next day.

8. Follow up. If they said you would get a call back by 4PM, don't sit by the phone and when it hits 4:01 get angry cause they didn't call you. Understand that other customers have problems too and they may just need a little bit more time to resolve the issue. 90% of the time there is no resolution yet and that's why they haven't called you back. The rep may have to wait for further info from a manufacturer and they are taking longer. It happens. Give it some time. If you don't hear anything in a day or so, give a call in asking about the problem. You might not be able to get the original person you talked to so having your notes will help to tell the story concisely so the new rep can help.

9. Out of stock. This is a touchy subject with me. I don't like items out of stock and feel it's the companies responsibility to best plan their supply based on the demand. That being said though, a reseller is at the mercy of the manufacturer. Not every manufacturer makes every product all the time. Most companies within the mustang community are smaller start-ups and their production capabilities are small. They will produce 100 widgets for a month, then make 100 do-dads the next. If your waiting on a do-dad, it sucks, but that's the way it is. Be patient. The flip side of that coin is that all the larger companies are producing in China. Shipping alone takes a month via ocean-freighter. It could take months for a product to come back in-stock. My advise is only order something when you know it's in-stock to avoid any resentment for waiting.

10. A rep can't know every detail about every product. It may take them a minute or two to go over the product and come up to speed with it. I don't know any company out there that has their own back-end database of parts with more info than what a customer has. I use the same resources you guys do: Google, forums, past experience, other people, etc. Personally, I'm an all-star when it comes to SN95 parts but I'm lacking on the 05+ because I don't have one or like them very much. Takes me a minute of looking at the pictures and instructions to get my bearings. Be respectful of this learning curve if the rep is struggling for a minute. On the flip side of this, if a rep comes back with a solution you don't necessarily agree with, at least try it first. You might be surprised.

I'm going to tangent for a minute on a story that describes this point, skip if you don't care. I've never been more pissed off a customer in my 4 years than a couple months back. Item ordered was a CDC chin splitter for 05-09. It attaches to a CDC classic chin spoiler. I had to look it over first to fully understand how it installs. Customer was a young kid who would not listen to me. He kept going on about how this is the wrong part, I told him it can't be because: A) we don't carry any other chin splitters like this, B) CDC doesn't even make any others. After going back and forth with him for 10 min, I finally said I need pictures. I receive them and realize he has it upside down and flush against the spoiler. He calls back and I tell him such. I explain that he needs to first flip it over and then center it from side to side, then pull it forward so that it touches the back of the bumper by the wheels. He continues to insist that I'm wrong. Goes so far as to tell me I don't know what I'm talking about. I explain it every way I can think of to this kid but he just refuses to listen. In the end, I sent him out a new one which was the same thing. I looked it up weeks later and the second came back as well. I further investigated...this is the only customer who has EVER had problems with this product....

11. Discounts. Best thing is to sign up for the companies newsletter and forums that they sponsor. Don't expect a discount just because you called in and asked for it. Goes back to point #7. I'll hand out a discount to a long time customer a lot more readily than a guy who has never placed an order before. You have to earn it in my book. It's the marketing guy's responsibility to get the new people; my job to keep them.

12. Resolution. At the end of the day, the customer needs to be happy about the product they purchased. If you aren't, then call back. Talking to a supervisor is a last ditch effort. It shouldn't have to escalate that far if you've followed my above points but if it does, then so be it. Work with them to a common resolution. They will be able to definitively end the transaction. Don't just go on the forums and bad mouth the company before calling them about a problem.

Some final thoughts....
-Don't yell at the reps, they just work there and are trying to help you
-No name calling
-Speak clearly, don't mumble when calling off your credit card numbers
-Don't ramble on about your cousin's fox body he sold back in 1989
-Everyone is only human, accept that mistakes can and do happen
-Some companies do just have crappy customer service and won't always be willing to help
-If you're missing one 5/16" washer from the hardware packet, just go out and get one from the hardware store. It's the simplest solution

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
thanks PK! I (personally) find it disrespectful when I call unprepared... "uh, sorry man. i dont have my part number. el oh el" .... like your time and effort doesnt matter.

I've gone out of my way to pull up emails, invoices, and to hold the part on my desk while i call...

DeepList

Administrator
Admin
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I buy and sell electronics on eBay and I deal with idiots all day errr day. Stupid asses that buy shit and then don't understand how to use it. People buy office phones that belong on an Avaya IP office business phone system and then get pissed and call me, or open an eBay claim because the item was "not as described" and it "didn't work" when they plugged it into their residential home phone jack and it did nothing. Well no shit! *sigh*

Then they want to return it (on my dime of course with a pre-paid label) or get a full refund. I have no choice by to cave to their demands or run the risk of getting a negative feedback... which is every seller's kryptonite on eBay.

I HATE dealing with morons on the phone who have no clue what the difference is between their head and their ass. "What's the item number?" .... "I don't know." *ugh* "So, let me get this straight... you want me to wade through the 200+ orders I had last week and look for yours specifically because you don't know the item number?"

* For the sake of CS reps everywhere, please have your item number, order number, or PO number ready before you even consider calling in for help.

Hoseitdown

Reaction score
Thanks! Good to have info of such things from someone on the receiving end. I will say that everything I ordered from AM was awesome. CS was *****in. That's why I continue to order from there. :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online