too long of cam dowel pin? should I be paranoid?

Discussion in '94-95 5.0 - Specific' started by Kylebach14, Nov 11, 2014.

1. Kylebach14

Kylebach14 New Member

Im having some paranoid thoughts about what I did this spring when doing my hci swap. When I put my new toming set on and my tfs 1 cam in, the cam dowel pin was too lomg and it wouldnt let the washer sit flat. I torqued it down pretty good, but I didnt loctite it. I havent had any problems yet, but im scared to drive it. (I drove it today and was thinking about it.)

2. Kylebach14

Kylebach14 New Member

Anyone? Should I rip the timing cover off again?

3. nolan62

nolan62 New Member

I had a TF stage 1 cam and it came with 2 pins, long and short.

So, I have learned over the years to always listen to that little voice in my head. Yours is making you feel uncomfortable. Listen to it. Get the right pin.

4. Kylebach14

Kylebach14 New Member

Can I replace the pin with the cam in the engine or does the cam have to be removed?

5. whiplash473

whiplash473 Moderator Staff SN95 Supporter

You'll have to pull it out far enough to get the shorter pin in, if that answers your question .

6. Kylebach14

Kylebach14 New Member

I guess I'm asking, am I going to have to pull my lifters?

7. whiplash473

whiplash473 Moderator Staff SN95 Supporter

If I were to do it, I'd treat the situation as if I were installing a new cam. Go through re-degreeing the cam and all the re-installing again. It's really not worth taking the chance on short-cutting it.

8. NXcoupe

NXcoupe Well-Known Member

OMG, just take the gear off and remove the dowel, install shorter dowel and be done with it. Degreeing a camshaft is to determine of the cam is ground correctly, it's not an adjustment. If he didn't adjust it the first time, there is no need to do it now. OP, don't make a mountain out of a molehill, just remove the cover and install the proper one, and next time remember there is no 'good enough' in engine building, if it's too long you don't just ram the bolt and washer in it. I just pulled an engine apart this summer that was like this. Each cam comes with two dowel pins for a reason.