Torque Converter lockup when shifting from park

VERT94GT

Reaction score
My converter locks up and chokes the car out or chirps the tires when i shift from park into reverse or D. The transmission was rebuilt recently, but i was having this problem beforehand. The tranny shop is telling me it has to do with my smog equipment. The previous owner welded the tube to the back of the head for the egr crap and i'm assuming none of that functions. it has been bypassed. I have taken it to the mechanic near me, he works exclusively on ford vehicles and has built plenty of drag cars for AMS. He says that they put a shit converter on it. They say it's the computer with the car, he says it's them doing a shitass job. It's not as bad after the car has warmed up, so when i entertained selling the car recently i just hotdogged the shit out of the car on the way to meet for a testdrive. What other information do i need to give, and what should i be doing now to fix the issue?

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score
Its def. not your smog equipment. Thats just a BS excuse.

Why would you ever sell your car to someone and not tell them about this problem? thats a piece of shit thing to do.

Something is wrong with the trans or converter obviously.

Im pretty sure your trans is not electronically operated.

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score
Thank you. So much.

Not sure if this is serious or sarcastic.

There is a lockout solenoid that controls lockup in the valvebody that could be stuck.

Could always try dropping the valvebody and having someone look at it

toyman

Reaction score
The '94 is an AODE. It's electronically controlled.

OP
OP
V

VERT94GT

Reaction score
I was pretty sure it was. I thought that most auto tranny's had been controlled by the ecu or a tsu for years.

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score
The '94 is an AODE. It's electronically controlled.

You are correct, my mistake. I was comparing it to my old 91 with an AOD

"The AOD was redesigned with electronic controls in 1992, becoming the AODE"

Steven Huggins

Reaction score
I have a 94 GT and the transmission stalls the engine when 1st or 2nd is engaged I have changed the lock up control solenoid but no change. I’ve got a fault code for “lock up circuit fault”but I’m having no luck finding what or where the fault is.......HELP!

Matt12eagles

Reaction score
Hi All!

Did you guys find a solution? Have the same problem. All gears work great (even OD) 120K miles.

Thanks!

Matt12eagles

Reaction score
Well, I did some digging. I “fixed” the issue on my 95 GT automatic V8 by pulling the brown / orange wire out of that 21?ish pin connector at the very top left of the engine bay passenger side. That’s the wire that controls the TCC solenoid. Strangely… mine is always “on” when hooked up which is wrong. I tapped it a few times with 12v with the rest of the harness in and it’s off now… but as soon as I plug that wire back in it locks up. Will likely change the TCC solenoid next year as I think I have proven the electrical part of it is working. Will see how it goes

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hazel113

Members online

No members online now.