1994-96 MUSTANG PARKING BRAKE LEVER BOOT Install anyone??

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Recently ordered the parking brake lever boot and am hoping for some hints & tips on the R&R, if anyone has done this? I’m aware the OE piece is plastic-welded on, so how is the best way to remove the OE one? And if that doesn’t work, Plan B?

And then of course the installation of the replacement piece. How best there??

I greatly appreciate any/all help on this. It’s something that’s always nagged me, so now that I’m at home recovering from surgery, I can take my time and do this.

Cheers and thanks again!

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
It has been so long that I can't remember the specifics, I think I just used contact cement on mine and it has held up.

cobrajeff96

Reaction score
There are plastic welds holding it on. You must remove the entire console and put it on a working surface, on a towel or something non-marring because you'll have to place it upside down. The have to brake the plastic welds holding it on and this requires either a soldering iron or best bet is just buy a cheap amazon plastic welder. Best bet for install is to also plastic weld it back on. You might get away with good quality plastic glue, but the surface has to be surgically cleaned with 80% or greater isopropyl alcohol first for the glue to hold.

95opal

Reaction score
There are plastic welds holding it on. You must remove the entire console and put it on a working surface, on a towel or something non-marring because you'll have to place it upside down. The have to brake the plastic welds holding it on and this requires either a soldering iron or best bet is just buy a cheap amazon plastic welder. Best bet for install is to also plastic weld it back on. You might get away with good quality plastic glue, but the surface has to be surgically cleaned with 80% or greater isopropyl alcohol first for the glue to hold.

This /\

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Awesome! Thanks both of you!

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
$12 for the kit on Amazon Prime ($15 - $3 points). Be here Thursday, right before my LMR order arrives. Perfect!

I have a couple few other plastic items around the house and yard that could use a staple weld or two! (storage bins, trash can lids, etc)

Last edited:

Slice

Reaction score
To remove the console, first pull the plastic gear shift surround towards you. It should snap out. Then undo the screws holding the console storage box under the armrest. Lift that out. There should be a couple of anchor screws underneath that and everything will become visible. To get the console out of the car I believe you have to pull the parking brake back so that you can lift the console up and out. Not too hard. Once you do your fix remember to give it a good clean because it gets kind of grimy where the seat bolsters rub against it.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Plastic welding kit arrived today. $13 Amazon Prime! Just waiting on my goodies from LMR. Should be here tomorrow:)

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Perfect instructions, cobrajeff! Soldering gun broke the factory tabs free and the plastic welding gun was a godsend! Simple to use and did an amazing job. I’m going to use it for a few other things around the house and property that have been needing repair (trash can lids, storage containers, etc). Great tool to have around.
Thanks again!!

cobrajeff96

Reaction score
Still got mine from many years back. Recently repaired the lower cowl on the Stang where a piece broke clean off, now you can't even tell it was ever damaged. Of course I used a sheet of metal mesh to reinforce it but after the sanding/priming/painting, it's just like original. Plastic welders are the shit, and if you use the correct rod material, you can repair just about any plastic thing that got damaged. You're welcome, and keep on truckin.

badass98svt

Reaction score
I ended up swapping my plastic stocker out last spring for a leather boot from Redline.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
/\ ditto. Would like to see

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
top notch work. I have their shift boot, parking brake and the steering wheel cover. Their do it yourself steering cover is a nice little kit.

joe65

Reaction score
Just to mention if you go to the LMR website they have tons of how-to videos that can be pretty helpful. For future use.

badass98svt

Reaction score
Thank you! I checked out Redline.com I can see where it’d be easy to spend some bucks there!
I did a shifter boot and e-brake boot in leather. I don't think the price was THAT bad. I DID order it during a sale they had too. Black Friday maybe?

Keep in mind the lead time is a couple months or so. They come from Sweden (if I remember right)

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I did a shifter boot and e-brake boot in leather. I don't think the price was THAT bad. I DID order it during a sale they had too. Black Friday maybe?

Keep in mind the lead time is a couple months or so. They come from Sweden (if I remember right)
Yeah, 4-6 weeks. And true, the prices aren’t THAT bad. I just turned into a kid in a candy store and put 4 things in my cart ($300) with the discount! Had to reel myself in before I went bonkers and ordered all!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suprasuavy

Members online

No members online now.