Tranny questions....

Hybridbird

Reaction score
I was wondering if some of you could tell me was the T45 used in all SN95s or only behind 4.6s?What exactly is the difference between the T45 and the T5 and are the differences significant enough that a T5 can't be used behind a 4.6? A friend of mine was asking me about this today and I told him I would have to ask the pros I didn't know. Thanx for the help!

luke five oh

Reaction score
Hybridbird said:
I was wondering if some of you could tell me was the T45 used in all SN95s or only behind 4.6s?What exactly is the difference between the T45 and the T5 and are the differences significant enough that a T5 can't be used behind a 4.6? A friend of mine was asking me about this today and I told him I would have to ask the pros I didn't know. Thanx for the help!
The T5 was used in the 94/95 and was paired with the 5.0.

The T45 has an electronic VSS, which you can use a speedcal with, while the T5 uses the good ol standard gear. (Although I think the very early T45 might have had a gear as well, but not sure on that)

In terms of trany size, they are the same, but the bellhousing bolt patterns for the T45 and the T5 are different due to differences in the motors.

OP
OP
H

Hybridbird

Reaction score
So on the tranny case side of the bellhousing is the bolt pattern the same T5/T45?How about the input shaft spline count/diameter?Long story short,is it a straight forward swap or would putting a T5 behind a 4.6 require major mods? O0

Downshift

Reaction score
Hybridbird said:
So on the tranny case side of the bellhousing is the bolt pattern the same T5/T45?How about the input shaft spline count/diameter?Long story short,is it a straight forward swap or would putting a T5 behind a 4.6 require major mods? O0

Not sure on that, just curious as to why you would wanna do that? I have always heard that T45 were better then the T5.

OP
OP
H

Hybridbird

Reaction score
Cuz he already has a a T5 laying around......just an attempt to save a few $$.

MeanGrn Gt

Reaction score
the t5 has a seperate bellhousing from the tranny while the t45 has the bellhousing "integrated" (cant think of the right word, it is one piece basically)

MeanGrn Gt

Reaction score
not that i am aware of but maybe :google2: and see what comes up

TxCobrA98

Legend
Reaction score
yep the t45's bellhousing is connected to the tranny with bolts on the inside of the bellhousing.. so if you want to take the two apart, you would have to drop the whole transmission then disconnect the two from each other.

Thomas_W

Reaction score
There are a few variations of the T-45.

you have 96-98 Gt's and 96-98 Cobra's. The difference between these is nill as i believe the first gear ratio is the only significant difference between the 2 transmissions. The GT's have a 7 tooth speedo drive gear while the cobra's have a 8 tooth speedo driven gear. The VSS (vehicle speed sensor) is still electronic, but it uses a "gear" to spin the VSS to recieve its electronic signal.

Then you have the 99-mid 2000 or 2001 (i forget which year exactly) T-45. These are essentially identical to the 96-98 T45s except that the VSS no longer has a gear and uses a hall effect style sensor to pickup the electronic signal for the speedometer.

Then there are the T3650's used up to 2004. I dont care how many people say "its a completely different tranny". Its STILL a T-45 made by Tremec (Borg Warner was bought out by tremec) with a few differences in the shifting mechanism and gear ratio's.

The T5 has a seperate "transmission" and bellhousing, while the T-45 bellhousing is an intergral piece of the transmission. The spline size is 1 1/16" w/ 10 splines for T5, T45 and 3650's.

Thats what i know.. way to much info. floating in my head about mustangs. lol

Downshift

Reaction score
Hybridbird said:
Cuz he already has a a T5 laying around......just an attempt to save a few $$.
Ok gotcha I was just wondering. Sounds like it would be kind of a headache to do the switch unless all the parts are free lol. Then you cant go wrong...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EdgarR213

Members online