transmission prob, maybe?

eliyarbrough

Legend
Reaction score
I have a 95 GT Auto. I use the cruise as much as I can. Also in Overdrive! When I am on the highway it seems kick itself out of OD. It stays there probably 5-7 seconds, then goes back normal. I thought it just did it on the hills, but I realized it did it all the time. Does anyone know of why it does this? I am sure I left some key info out. Ask and I can give it to ya! Thanks!!

95Grandtouring5.0

Reaction score
Hmm an auto kicking out of gear? Well that doesn't sound good and my best suggestion would be to take it to the professionals. Then again a good bit of mechanics I know, don't know too much. When you put it in over drive. Hold it there with your hand and feel if you can keep it there or it will still push it back into drive.

OP
OP
eliyarbrough

eliyarbrough

Legend
Reaction score
It does not really kick out of a gear, I would say. It just goes the other drive, not w/OD. It has 4 gears plus OD, right? It goes from 4th w/OD to just 4th, kind of. I am sorry, I don't know how to type what I am really thinking!

I forget all about it until I am driving out of town. That is not much, either! Thanks for trying!!

And, I never take it out of Overdrive! I do not understand what you mean 'Hold it there with your hand.'

1stTang

Reaction score
Are you sure it's your overdrive that your feeling....
you have four gears "plus" a lockup convertor, which you
could be feeling kicking in and out. Next time just after
you feel it go in, just touch your brake pedal with your foot off
and on and see if that makes it kick in and out... if so then it's
your lockup convertor. These trannys are famous for dropping
pressure. A lot of times if the tranny is still in good shape you can
cure this by installing a shift kit which will compansate for the pressure
loss..... just a thought :thumb:

OP
OP
eliyarbrough

eliyarbrough

Legend
Reaction score
Thanks! I had to print what you typed off so I can reread about 1000 times. I did not pick up on it like I wanted to!

Another thing I thought of late last night! My car stays in a gear. It does not decrease its speed. Like if it turned off my cruise or put it in neutral, I mean! Like I said, it rarely gets above 35 MPH. I try not to take it out of town, unless I have to. Thanks so much!!

OP
OP
eliyarbrough

eliyarbrough

Legend
Reaction score
So, is the lockup converter kind of my overdrive? I have no real idea about anything!!! It just seems to kick in regular drive, out of OD; to me. I am not good with my mechanical whatever any more! Can ya tell?

I think I now understand what you typed, 1stTang, for now! So when I hear it rev up, tap my brake to see if it stops. Right? I hear it rev and I can see it on my tach. If it stops then I might try a shift kit?

I just remembered. About a year ago, it was shifting at a higher RPM. A some kind of a *electrical thing was put in. Sorry, I went totally blank just now! Not a chip or a fuse, I've lost the right word!!

OP
OP
eliyarbrough

eliyarbrough

Legend
Reaction score
I just took her out to see if that brake thing worked. Before, I put it not OD to see my RPM reading @ 70. It is going out of OD when it does whatever it does! On the brake thing, that does not do anything! I tried it during 3-4 of its cycles.

I am confused, what now? I do not know if that matters when I ht the brake if it stops or keeps acting up! See ya!!

1stTang

Reaction score
Hi,
Your trans has four gears, 1st, 2nd, 3rd and a overdrive, (4th) plus there is another
clutch in the convertor it self. The convertor acts like a fluid clutch between the engine
and the transmission, this allows you to come to a stop without having to push down
on a pedal (besides your brake pedal ;) It also allows slippage untill it ether reaches
what they call "stall" speed or after a certain speed is reached and at that time the
clutch inside it will come on and lock the convertor as one solid unit between the engine
and transmission.... no more slippage O0
A lot of times this will come on (lockup) about the same time the trans shifts into 4th
gear which make these transmissions feel like they have a sloppy, lumpy shift there.
Go for a ride out on a highway, drive it normally and let it go through all the gears..
once your up to about 50mph or so, "lightly" touch your brake pedal, you should feel
a slight downshift feeling or see a rise in your tach rpm, this is the convertor clutch
unlocking. When you take your foot off the brake pedal, you should feel a slight shift
as it locks up again.... or see a drop in your tach.
As I said before, these trannys are famous for being touchy with thier pressures which
will cause this lockup clutch to lock and unlock by itself if you are lossing pressure some-
where in the hydraulic system of the unit. A good shift kit (I use Trandsgo kits myself)
will compensate for this pressure loss and boost the pressures back up to normal and
more if you like a firmer shift... now this is only if your trans is in fairly good shape yet.
A "good" transmission shop :noes: should be able to install on of these kits in about
2 hours, if they take more than that, thier ripping you off. The kit up here (B.C.) will probably run
you about $150 plus labour.... worth a try!!!!! :dunno:

OP
OP
eliyarbrough

eliyarbrough

Legend
Reaction score
I have not even mentioned it to my mechanic yet.  I keep forgetting until I am on the highway going somewhere.  The closest tran shop is 48 miles away, too. 

I typed some but I hit a wrong button and my window was closed.  I had something else, but who knows what it was!  Thanks!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cwacaser

Members online