Transmission problems

MichaelSN95

Reaction score
Good day all,

My name is Michael and I'm living in the Netherlands.
Last summer my uncle gave me a 1995 3.8 V6 with a broken engine.

We replaced the engine with a used one, which runs nice.
We had some problems with mounting the engine to the automatic gearbox, does this sound familiar to you? Are there different types of gearboxes for a 95 V6?

Now let's get to the real problem:

As I already said, the engine runs fine.
But when I put it in D, it does not automatically drives forward, only when I push the throttle. Normally it has to drive slowly forward when I put in D right? Even worse is the reverse, when I put in R it does nothing untill I'm pushing the throttle real hard.

The transmission fluid is filled..

I'm looking forward to your soonest reply's and thanks in advance.

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
Michael, can you tell me what kind of problems you had when you were installing the new engine? They should go together pretty easy.

Also, did you remember the spacer plate that goes between the engine and transmission?

OP
OP
M

MichaelSN95

Reaction score
Michael, can you tell me what kind of problems you had when you were installing the new engine? They should go together pretty easy.

Also, did you remember the spacer plate that goes between the engine and transmission?
When we fit the engine and transmission together, the engine wouldn't turn around, we had to make some really small rings between the engine and gearbox, where we fitted the bolts through.

After that the engine turned and everything seemed okay.

And yes, I also remember this spacing plate.

(Excuse me for bad english, when you have trouble understanding what I mean, please let me know)

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
When we fit the engine and transmission together, the engine wouldn't turn around, we had to make some really small rings between the engine and gearbox, where we fitted the bolts through.

After that the engine turned and everything seemed okay.

Im not following what you mean when you say the engine wouldn't turn around.

I also dont understand what you mean by making rings between the engine and gearbox.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Im thinking the torque converter wasnt all the way back when he attempted to bolt the engine and tranny together. Busted the front pump?

Now, im no transmission guy. Dont beat me up if my comment comes out stupid...lol

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Your English is fine. We do have a member on here from the Netherlands who may be able to help if it would be easier to explain in Dutch. [MENTION=12861]Mack[/MENTION] is an excellent source of knowledge.

I wonder if the torque converter is just not working correctly. If it needs a ton of input to do anything, it sounds like that is the case.

The 3.8 may not make a ton of power, but it is a torquey motor, and can easily pull a car forward and back without throttle input when in "D" or "R"

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
I’m thinking you nailed it [MENTION=14727]96blak54[/MENTION]. If the converter wasn’t seated or it got jammed up, the pump may not be making the pressure it needs (hence the high rpm to move).

I was hoping that wasn’t the case, but that’s really what it’s looking like.

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
If I’m not mistaken, unplugging the transmission connector will default it to full epc pressure, granted it’s getting main pressure from the pump. Then you should be able to get reverse and I think 3rd.

07GtS197

Reaction score
The bulk connector that the epc solenoid is wired through also has both shift solenoids. With both off 2nd will be the only gear that works. Still, the epc pressure being low most likely isnt caused by the epc itself so I doubt unplugging it will help but its a start. Its likely its clogged with debris from the pan. I believe they usually fail fully open so he would have high line pressure. And I agree with the pump but I didnt want to jump the gun lol.

OP
OP
M

MichaelSN95

Reaction score
I really apppreciate all your reply's!!
I will check these options and let all of you know :thumbsup:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member