Transmission swap issues

Little Silver

Reaction score
So I have done a TKX swap this past weekend. For the most part, everything went pretty smooth. But there is now an issue with the starter being misaligned. The OEM starter bolts had trouble threading in at first until we discovered that the mounting holes for the starter had an edging causing the threads to catch. We beveled the edge without changing the shape of the holes. We double checked threadings and procceded to mount the starter. No problems. But now when starting the car the starter is screeching. Any ideas of suggestions of what to do next?

cobrajeff96

Reaction score
Can the bell detach from the trans? I ask because you can still mount the starter and watch from the backside as the starter bendix engages the FW teeth without the rest of the trans obscuring your view. I know at least my T-56 Mag will allow for that sort of testing with its detachable bellhousing.

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
Did you install the transmission spacer plate? The plate that goes between the engine and transmission is what lines the starter up.

OP
OP
Little Silver

Little Silver

Reaction score
Yes, I did install the plate. After a little research it seems to be a common problem with QuickTime bell housings to have starter alignment issues. I am thinking the engine block plate they provided was too thick. I am going to measure the OEM vs the QuickTime to see if there is a difference. I am also on the phone with their tech support so hopefully they'll be able to provide some answers and/or solutions. Below is their new block plate with the flywheel on.

Attachments

• IMG_2114.jpeg
    IMG_2114.jpeg
    183.2 KB · Views: 12
OP
OP
Little Silver

Little Silver

Reaction score
So as of now, the quick time tech believes that the starter needs to shimmed. I guess I am going to paint the starter gear and run it a few times to see how it contacts the ring gear. Also the tech at Modern Driveline is telling me a completely different story that I have a 157 tooth ring gear and need to switch to a 5.0l style starter. Could've sworn the new flywheel had a 164 tooth ring gear. Guess we will see.

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
So as of now, the quick time tech believes that the starter needs to shimmed. I guess I am going to paint the starter gear and run it a few times to see how it contacts the ring gear. Also the tech at Modern Driveline is telling me a completely different story that I have a 157 tooth ring gear and need to switch to a 5.0l style starter. Could've sworn the new flywheel had a 164 tooth ring gear. Guess we will see.
Hang on now, you’ve got a mod motor right? Judging by the 3 bolt starter, I’d say yes. If he’s saying swap to a 5.0 pushrod starter, that won’t work. They are 2 bolt. If he’s saying a 5.0 coyote, that won’t help because it’s the same tooth count as the 2v. How are you going to shim the starter?

95opal

Reaction score
Yes, I did install the plate. After a little research it seems to be a common problem with QuickTime bell housings to have starter alignment issues. I am thinking the engine block plate they provided was too thick. I am going to measure the OEM vs the QuickTime to see if there is a difference. I am also on the phone with their tech support so hopefully they'll be able to provide some answers and/or solutions. Below is their new block plate with the flywheel on.

Did you index the bell housing before bolting everything up?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
That could be the problem. I forget how far off mine was but it was far enough to need to be adjusted.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online