Tremec TKX fluid check

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
How do you check the fluid level on a T45? Or can you?? And what fluid does it call for: Mercon III? Full Sun ATF? Or ??? Where do you add fluid?

badass98svt

Reaction score
How do you check the fluid level on a T45? Or can you?? And what fluid does it call for: Mercon III? Full Sun ATF? Or ??? Where do you add fluid?

Remove fill plug and stick something in there to check the level. Should be right at the bottom of the fill hole.
I have ATF in my T45 if I remember correctly.

You sure your car isn't a T5? (Same procedure anyway)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Remove fill plug and stick something in there to check the level. Should be right at the bottom of the fill hole.
I have ATF in my T45 if I remember correctly.
Thank you, good sir! And is there a particular ATF? Brand? Full synthetic? or NOT synthetic??

Thanks again for fielding my seemingly endless chain of what likely appear to be stupid questions! Sometimes I ask seeking confirmation of what I already know, but I ask “just in case” because I certainly don’t know everything and I’m humble enough to ask!
Cheers!

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Last question before I drag my carcass under the car:

Will I need a pump to fill the tranny fluid or is there enough room to tilt and pour the quart bottles in? I suspect I’m going to need a pump but wanted to ask first. I’m not going to fill from the shifter.
Thanks!

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score

Will I need a pump to fill the tranny fluid or is there enough room to tilt and pour the quart bottles in? I suspect I’m going to need a pump but wanted to ask first. I’m not going to fill from the shifter.
Thanks!
I’ve always used a pump. I don’t think there is enough room to tilt the bottle in there.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks, lwarrior!

badass98svt

Reaction score

Thanks!
Did you watch the video? Definitely not enough room.

cobrajeff96

Reaction score
If you were to do a shifter upgrade, you could just pour it right into the shifter hole. Might be a good excuse to upgrade.

joemomma

Reaction score
Easy mode is run a tube down through the trans tunnel to the fill hole. Go slowly, otherwise you'll end up with fluid all over the garage floor (ask me how I know).

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
If you were to do a shifter upgrade, you could just pour it right into the shifter hole. Might be a good excuse to upgrade.
Already have the shifter upgrade!
i have a 5 Gallion bucket full with a pump handle and long hose and a spout at the end
no mess when its on the lift
Yeah. A lift. If only… LOL

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Finally finished the tranny fluid R&R. The first POS squishy pump from HF lasted 2 pumps, literally. Ordered a syringe style from Amazon Prime(next day pick up @ Amazon Fresh). Took 2 days. Urrrrgh!

But, perseverance paid off and the deed is done!

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Hmmm…. Probably not a bad idea at all. I had the gears changed to 3.55’s about 3k ago and I could check and see the gear oil is devoid of shavings, etc.

I changed the gear oil on my ‘12 Ram 2WD. No unwanted guests, thankfully. It has 176k.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
It shouldn’t, no. I was thinking of just pulling the plug, plugging it up with something real quickly (like my thumb!), and checking the magnet for debris. Then topping it back off.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suprasuavy

Members online