Trick Flow Heads

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
So I posted up in my other thread "old gas" that I may potentially have a blown head gasket. I'll be doing a leak down/compression test in the near future to get a better idea. I currently run MMR Stage 3 PI heads with a custom grind blower cam (pretty small for my setup, .220/.230, 533/571) but that was the largest I could go because I never got my 18cc Manley pistons flycut. If this is in fact a head gasket, I think it would be a perfect opportunity to upgrade to some nicer heads and larger cams. I've been doing a bunch of research on TFS heads, but there really isn't many newer posts or threads anywhere. Mostly from '10 - '12. There are obviously different options/variations to go with these heads (38/44cc, 90/125/150lb springs, etc). I think I've narrowed it down to the 44cc and 150 lb springs. These are what I'm looking at:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/tfs-51910006-m44

Just a few questions:
Has anybody seen any higher hp boosted/nitrous setups running these heads with success? I'm not finding many boosted guys on any forums with much feedback.
How are the valves in these things? Are people having good luck with the valves that come assembled in these heads?
L&M Race Engines put out an article not too long ago about guys running PI ground cams in these heads, and they weren't getting power gains as expected due to the angle of the valve, and they offer custom TFS specific grinds for these heads...any truth to this?
Any newer info on these heads since the first year or two since they came out would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Those are the heads I went with except I got the 38cc. The cam concerns are legit. I talked to Mike at L&M on the phone and not only are TF specific cams making more power but it solves the issues people are having degreeing with non TF cams. I was planning on using my VT/CMS Blower cams but even Cushman said I should go with a TF specific grind. My dilemma now is if I want to be NA or boosted.

I bought my heads from Art (formerly Arts Parts) now JD's Performance. He beat everyone's advertised price by @$100 to my door plus he is local in South Jersey.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Oh and I can't help you with power number unless I decide to install them on my 96 in NA form. I took off my Fox Lake St 2's so I have a baseline although I would be using different cams so not an apples and oranges comparison.

I have seen online peeps claiming 50+ hp gains on heavy boosted combos though.

OP
OP
97stanger

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
Oh and I can't help you with power number unless I decide to install them on my 96 in NA form. I took off my Fox Lake St 2's so I have a baseline although I would be using different cams so not an apples and oranges comparison.

I have seen online peeps claiming 50+ hp gains on heavy boosted combos though.

Good info. I'll definitely reach out to Art about the heads. So far the cheapest I found the heads fully assembled like the link above is from Last Call Racing for $2,200 shipped.

Is it still kind of shunned against doing any port work to them due to how thin the walls get? I am reading a lot online that 99% of the guys do not get them ported because its like a 9cfm gain and you'll pay $700+ for any port work.

And if I understand this correctly, due to me having un-fly cut pistons already, since these are off set, I can run a nice big blower grind and not have to ever worry about PTV contact correct?

Bob do you know anybody else besides L&M doing these custom TFS grinds for these heads? just curious.

Thanks for all the help!

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Cushman is doing TFS specific grinds. I have been doing business with them for a decade so I am not sure if I will use CMS or L&M for cams. I was told CMS is just rebadging modular headshop stuff now so I don't know, I would have to get ahold of Scott before I dropped $600 on cams. L&M is only 10 mins from my office in Philly so that is a plus.

My total was $2,109 shipped. He beat everyone and because he is local I went through him.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Oh and Todd Warren is a good person to hit up on FB about cams. He has an excellent reputation in the modular racing community.

OP
OP
97stanger

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
Cool, good info Bob. Thanks for the advice and I'll keep you up to date.

1bad95

Reaction score
Def gonna keep an eye on this thread, debating on just going with -Trickflow vs ported PI when I get to building a motor in a year or so

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
97stanger

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
Def gonna keep an eye on this thread, debating on just going with -Trickflow vs ported PI when I get to building a motor in a year or so

From the research I've done and the results I'm seeing, if you have the funds it looks like TF all the way

1bad95

Reaction score
Yeah funds will be the hardest lol. I'm hoping this stock motor will hold out for a while with the vortech and let me take my time with the motor

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Trick flow is a no brainer now. If those heads existed 15 years ago I never would have dropped $2K on some Fox Lake ported PI's.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
I just erased a good paragraph of reasons why I think the guy is a hoax,....but you know.....im not gonna be that dood!

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Hey, everyone is entitled to an opinion and yours is a valued one. Just the fact that you are not "sold" on him is enough for me to do further research if I was to seek his products.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
I dont want to bash the guy. He has been alot of help to the modular community.....

Its fun to catch him in his contradictory info

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cwacaser

Members online