Trunk license trim panel removal

blackhorse

Reaction score
How do you remove 94-98 trunk license trim panel?

I tried remove it , detaching that four bolts , but the panel didn't come out ...

OP
OP
B

blackhorse

Reaction score
There is a light epoxy but it should be easy to pry off.
I tried pry it out and already damaged a little spot in the corner , so I stoped.

Now with your information I will try again with more careful . Thank you.

I need that panel out to clean 20 years of accumulated dirt , wax and polish ...

9838stang

Reaction score
Any chance to put the bolts back into place just enough to be able to use the ratchet to push the panel out?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
you might try some heat on it to see if it helps. I really don't remember it being a big deal though so its possible that someone else might have epoxied it in with some more serious stuff.

nitroram33

Reaction score
There a couple more bolts on the inside of trunk towards the top if I remember right from when I was swapping trunk locks. I'll try and take pictures tomorrow.

OP
OP
B

blackhorse

Reaction score
you might try some heat on it to see if it helps. I really don't remember it being a big deal though so its possible that someone else might have epoxied it in with some more serious stuff.
I'm the original owner . Maybe some dude in the factory glued this thing for real , because I can't remove it . Tried pry out again and nothing.

Will try the heat tomorrow... Thanks.

OP
OP
B

blackhorse

Reaction score
There a couple more bolts on the inside of trunk towards the top if I remember right from when I was swapping trunk locks. I'll try and take pictures tomorrow.
I didn't realize that there are some more screws that needs to be removed ... I will check tomorrow ... Thanks for helping guys .

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
so your doing all this just to get some wax out? How much is in there? I would probably just wash it really well with some dawn(strips wax) and a tooth brush or a q-tip. Otherwise if you want to fix that problem a few of us have been filling the line to smooth it out.

2336501398480927-e0b0dc05c2.jpg

OP
OP
B

blackhorse

Reaction score
so your doing all this just to get some wax out? How much is in there? I would probably just wash it really well with some dawn(strips wax) and a tooth brush or a q-tip. Otherwise if you want to fix that problem a few of us have been filling the line to smooth it out.
There are wax,compounds and dirt ... It's a mess . Already tried q-tips , toot and others brushes with liquid wax , APCs , some save solventes ...

The only way is remove that panel and polish that gunk out (maybe some sanding/polishing) ... Or in the last case , smooth that thing like you said ...

OP
OP
B

blackhorse

Reaction score
Yes sir , you are right ! Thank you very much ! There are two nuts , one in each superior corner inside the trunk. Already looked at them and I thought that it was some kind of bushings to support the panel ... Ridiculous , that I had not tried work a wrench there ...

Anyway , here some pics just for the records , since I searched like a mad and didn't find any information on how to remove that panel .

In Haynes and Chilton's , they cover just the four front nuts . In the service manual , there's nothing about this ...

IMGP3531_zpsb46f6cfe.jpg

IMGP3532_zpscbb4427f.jpg

IMGP3530_zps33486617.jpg

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I never even thought about taking that off ever ever ever. Now you got me wanting to pop it off to see if anything is in there next time I do a serious detail :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
senior001

Members online