Truth about NPI vs PI

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
1996mustangGT said:
i gotta stupid question, however,
how difficult is it to install the cams yourself?
i really dont have the exra money,
and after doin the intake and cam swap (pi)
so i need to get a tune?
installing the pi cams and intake is fairly easy. You don't have to get a tune after but it would help.

1996mustangGT

Reaction score
what about cam positioning and all that jazz?
how do you know if its right or not?

caseypayne69

Reaction score
blackfang said:
When swapping PI cams, I recommend that you purchase 2001 + cams. These cams are Romeo cams (manufactured in the Romeo plant) and they have bolt on sprockets. Since the sprockets can be unbolted, you can use the Anderson tool to swap the cams. This makes the job a snap since all you have to do is take off the valve covers, cam covers, use the tool to hold the timing chain in place and then swap cams. Conversely, to do the entire PI head swap, you will have to either pull the entire motor, or tear it down in place to remove the heads.

The PI intake is a considerable improvement over the nPI intake. With its increased port volume and improved runner design, this intake has been shown to give up to 18 RWHP increases to the nPI equipped Stang.

Anyone know alot about the Anderson tool? I was wondering about being able to just drop cams in my car like this. I have a 96 GT of course, would their be in any troubles? Can the drop only be done with PI cams? What about comp cams? Anyone got an Anderson tool I could borrow :) if I did do it?

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
caseypayne69 said:
blackfang said:
When swapping PI cams, I recommend that you purchase 2001 + cams. These cams are Romeo cams (manufactured in the Romeo plant) and they have bolt on sprockets. Since the sprockets can be unbolted, you can use the Anderson tool to swap the cams. This makes the job a snap since all you have to do is take off the valve covers, cam covers, use the tool to hold the timing chain in place and then swap cams. Conversely, to do the entire PI head swap, you will have to either pull the entire motor, or tear it down in place to remove the heads.

The PI intake is a considerable improvement over the nPI intake. With its increased port volume and improved runner design, this intake has been shown to give up to 18 RWHP increases to the nPI equipped Stang.

Anyone know alot about the Anderson tool? I was wondering about being able to just drop cams in my car like this. I have a 96 GT of course, would their be in any troubles? Can the drop only be done with PI cams? What about comp cams? Anyone got an Anderson tool I could borrow :) if I did do it?
the Anderson Cam tool is not well made but is ok if you are installing PI cams. Ford also makes a similar tool which is thicker and won't bend like the Anderson tool. I would not install Comp Cams this way since they need to be degreed in to prevent PTV. Maybe you could get away with it if you were installing Comp NPI cams.

Ender

Reaction score
caseypayne69 said:

I wouldn't trust the tool. The timing chains jump very easily if they get the least bit of slack, and you may not see it happen. Taking the timing cover off is not hard, and you know the job was done right.

caseypayne69

Reaction score
Just weighing my options. I would really love to have the svo intake, and looking into cams. But for affordability, i'm gonna get that livernois motorsport intake swap kit. But I keep thinking, well if I have that much off, might as well do some other stuff. Looks like i'm getting a project, i'm not ready for, financial and time wise. College takes 90% of my life. I could still save up for the frpp heads Maybe, but then I wonder the quality of the block. My car has 220k miles on it. Blocks probably slowly warping. So all I can do is think, and maybe start stripping the intake off my self.

1996mustangGT

Reaction score
stuipid question
whats the svo intake?
is it just the frpp intake or something diffrent?

caseypayne69

Reaction score
FRPP intake was once called the svo intake. It fits 96 -98 GT's. 99-04 GT have an intake just like the FRPP one called Bullit intake.

1996mustangGT

Reaction score
so would the "svo" intake fit on the PI heads after the
PI swa or would we have to get the bullitt?

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
The SVO can fit the PI heads if you port match them....the Bullitt is the natural fit though.

seth_96_gt

Reaction score
not to get off topic but i hear that doin the swap with a set of fully ported heads looses you al lot of bottom end torque

1996mustangGT

Reaction score
probally,
your engine cant take full
advantage from all the air coming in,
messes up the air/fuel probally as well...
but you need to do some other mods before you fully port 'em

ck5.0

Reaction score
Awesome write up. Thanks a ton. I have P.I. Heads and intake already. Bases on this writeup and other suggestions I think that I may do the cams. Can anyone point me to some good (inexpensive) cams? What exact things would I need to put the new cams in.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
ck5.0 said:
Awesome write up. Thanks a ton. I have P.I. Heads and intake already. Bases on this writeup and other suggestions I think that I may do the cams. Can anyone point me to some good (inexpensive) cams? What exact things would I need to put the new cams in.

A friend of mine just took a set out of his 04GT...i think he wants $100 for them. They really are one of the best bangs for your buck for 96-98GT's. If your interested shoot me a pm.

voidfinger

Reaction score
so does the Bullit flow the same as the SVO b/c that is one exspensive intake. I look at it this way too, the pi intake looses 5 hp to the bullit intake so 5 hp vs. alot of money.???

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
voidfinger said:
so does the Bullit flow the same as the SVO b/c that is one exspensive intake. I look at it this way too, the pi intake looses 5 hp to the bullit intake so 5 hp vs. alot of money.???

The Bullit flows alittle better then the SVO, something about the runner design, the Bullit gets more then 5hp gain over the PI...it was rated 5hp by Ford so Insurance wouldn't go up. Most of the Dyno's i've seen were a 10-12hp gain over PI but up to 20hp gains in some midrange areas...its expensive but a good intake and when ported is even better. If i was using a Centri Blower or Turbo i would have had one a long time ago.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chasingomas