Truth about NPI vs PI

voidfinger

Reaction score
well how about that huh. how much does a bullit intake run and how much does a SVO run $$$ wise. I'm not saying it isn't a good intake, i really like it since it looks good and its not plastic ya know. :banana:

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
The Bullit and SVO intakes are about the same price @ $1300-1500
the only problem is you can't get the install kit for the SVO intake any longer...Ford doesn't sell them.
If you are thinking of getting the SVO heads, the Bullit can be port matched to fit easily.

voidfinger

Reaction score
nope i'm looking into a cobra swap, everyone told me that the bullit throttle cable you can buy from ford would work for it.

Mr. E

Reaction score
I am hearing on other boards that this isnt true. Full swaps with heads included are getting 60-65 rwhp while swaps with only cams and intake are making 25-30 rwhp. Everyone is telling me you NEED the heads to breathe better and to get the most out of all your other bolt ons. Now I am not sure what to do...

voidfinger

Reaction score
well best thing about the heads if your just doing that and not super or turbo charger is the good bump in compression. Thats where alot of the power comes from. IMHO if you have the money to get the heads then go on and do the full swap.

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
voidfinger said:
well best thing about the heads if your just doing that and not super or turbo charger is the good bump in compression. Thats where alot of the power comes from. IMHO if you have the money to get the heads then go on and do the full swap.

I agree :)

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Mr. E said:
I am hearing on other boards that this isnt true. Full swaps with heads included are getting 60-65 rwhp while swaps with only cams and intake are making 25-30 rwhp. Everyone is telling me you NEED the heads to breathe better and to get the most out of all your other bolt ons. Now I am not sure what to do...

i've never seen more then 40-45rwhp for a full pi swap ever ever ever...and i've seen dozens of dyno's posted! You won't get 65rwhp unless you step up the cams.

voidfinger

Reaction score
yea thats the truth, most people i've seen saying 55/65 rwhp had cams and tuning. Its important from what i understand to have the combo tuned and thats alot of the power.

Adam

Reaction score
You guys still arguing about this? lol. You aren't going to get 65rwho with just a PI swap. Unless your 1st dyno was 100 degrees and your after dyno was -20 outside. I picked up 72 rwhp by doing a PI head/intake swap, but I also put in VT cams, and FRPP shorties. And for all you guys saying to go with a blower because its the same money are crazy. A blower is $4000 minimum, then another $4000 for a new motor when you obliterate your stock one. These motors were only designed to handle about 1000psi of cylinder pressure. A blown car produces about 2.65psi of cylinder pressure per hp. A typical blown 4.6 makes around 400hp(or more, i am being very liberal here) actually around 460hp (the blower takes hp to run also) so take 460x2.65=1219psi of cylinder pressure. The best tune in the world is not going to matter, the engine components simply were not engineered to handle that kind of cylinder pressure....period. It is not a matter of IF the motor will let go, it is WHEN, this is fact, not internet rumor. Hope this helps some people.

Adam :)

voidfinger

Reaction score
So Adam all you did was add pi heads/intake/vt cams/ and shorties and you had 70 hp to the rear wheels. Did you get the motor tuned or no? and what vt cams did you put in? thanks

Adam

Reaction score
Yes, I put on 2001 PI heads, intake, VT Stage 1 cams and FRPP shorties. My 1st pull was 243rwhp and they tweaked it to 247. There is more left but why go there, I run 91 octane ethanol with no problems. The torque was 271. I previously made 175/225 which is about right for a stock auto 98. It went from a 14.30 car to a 13.30 car in about a week. We have now tweaked that down to 12.6-12.7 with longtubes and weighing 3200lbs.

voidfinger

Reaction score
ok nice, thats sounds about what i'm doing, i got a 98 auto but its a vert. I was planning on the pi H/C/I swap and i was getting some frpp shorties to go along with it and was doing a t45 swap while i'm at it. So i got to get the computer tuned for the 5 speed anyway so i'm going to go on and squeeze the power out of it. lol thanks

Adam

Reaction score
I have a friend with a 96 vert that has run as fast as me with similar parts. He has done a lot of weight reduction and has a very aggressive converter also. I only used the FRPP shorties because I bought them cheap used. I eventually went with the Flowtech longtubes, which is what I would reccomend if your going to do it. The uncoated ones are only about $250 and matching X is another $100. The torque gain is very noticeable. I have had mine on for 2 years and never had a leak or a problem. The H/C/I swap is the best way to wake these car up and keep them NA. good luck

voidfinger

Reaction score
yea thats cool, i got a guy selling me some frpp shorties for 40 bucks shipped lol and i got the mac prochamber o/r with the matching catback so i think thats ok for now, but i was wondering about doing a different cam instead of pi cams. how much is the vt cams and do they have a web page i can see them and the specs? thanks

Orion

Reaction score
great post man. thanks for the info. i plan on doing a PI swap on mine once I return to the states and I also am upgrading the cam and going with a typhoon intake also.

1996mustangGT

Reaction score
Adam said:
Yes, I put on 2001 PI heads, intake, VT Stage 1 cams and FRPP shorties. My 1st pull was 243rwhp and they tweaked it to 247. There is more left but why go there, I run 91 octane ethanol with no problems. The torque was 271. I previously made 175/225 which is about right for a stock auto 98. It went from a 14.30 car to a 13.30 car in about a week. We have now tweaked that down to 12.6-12.7 with longtubes and weighing 3200lbs.
do you have gears?
you did a 13.3 with the PI swap, cams and longtubes?

Adam

Reaction score
1996mustangGT said:
Adam said:
do you have gears?
you did a 13.3 with the PI swap, cams and longtubes?

yes 4:10's have had those since 1st ever pass (14.90) I did 12.98 with PI swap, cams, NO longtubes. I had FRPP shorties then. I was kinda stuck around 12.90-12.98 until I did longtubes. LT's and Accufab plenum got me to 12.61. These were all on slicks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bs.austin.tx

Members online