Tune for NA 5.4?

OP
OP
garrittpwl

garrittpwl

Reaction score
How has the car been driving? How does that 5th gear torque feel?
It drives great. The instant torque whenever I want is great along with the ability to downshift and blow the tires off whenever lol. I put strange 10 way coil overs on in the front during this process. I'd be lying if I say I love the ride quality but thats the sacrifice I make for the ride height and stance I want. I think it could make a bit more power but the base tune that is on it appears to have a bit of timing pulled out (better safe than sorry I guess). Once I make it on a dyno I'm sure they'll bump it up until its on the edge. They'll look like heroes on the graph when they do this too I'm sure ;)

OP
OP
garrittpwl

garrittpwl

Reaction score
How has the car been driving? How does that 5th gear torque feel?
Sorry for the double post here. But whats to stop a guy from buying the SCT software and backwards engineering my base tune a bit so I can make minor adjustments myself. I'm good with tech and I can learn anything I need to (this thread as an example, I'd never built a car engine prior to this and had only done kart/dirtbike motors). So I feel confident that I could learn a tuning software to make minor timing/fuel adjustments. For 350 dollars it seems pretty enticing. I'm handy enough with tech that I've built my own gaming computers for 15 years or so now and know my way around so I feel like it can't be THAT hard. When randoms on facebook are offering "remote tuning" services. At least if I blow it up its mine ;).

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Lee can unlock more adjustability from your handheld tuner now and its just enough for you to find out there is not much more hp to be had...lol. I hate saying it like that, but its true.

Modulars really dont respond to more timing. With out going into deep explanation why, the small bore and rod stroke ratio keep the timing very efficient.

Knowing Lee's tunes id say its a bit heavy on the fuel side. He tends to stay safe with a rich fuel mix throughout the entire rpm band. Especially the driving side of the tune where running lean is ok.

Send him an email and ask for tuner to be allowed more adjustments.

In my opinion, id get them cams out and knock a good 20° off the exhaust opening.

OP
OP
garrittpwl

garrittpwl

Reaction score
Lee can unlock more adjustability from your handheld tuner now and its just enough for you to find out there is not much more hp to be had...lol. I hate saying it like that, but its true.

Modulars really dont respond to more timing. With out going into deep explanation why, the small bore and rod stroke ratio keep the timing very efficient.

Knowing Lee's tunes id say its a bit heavy on the fuel side. He tends to stay safe with a rich fuel mix throughout the entire rpm band. Especially the driving side of the tune where running lean is ok.

Send him an email and ask for tuner to be allowed more adjustments.

In my opinion, id get them cams out and knock a good 20° off the exhaust opening.
This still doesn't give me the "do it myself" that I desire lol. I'm not a fan of subletting work. As for pulling the cams, that means pulling the motor and jacking with my dynamic ratio which may axe pump gas which im not quite ready for. Maybe a project next winter.

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
I’ve known a few guys that got the sct pro racer package and had good results. If I remember correctly though, the software will not allow you to turn off codes

OP
OP
garrittpwl

garrittpwl

Reaction score
I’ve known a few guys that got the sct pro racer package and had good results. If I remember correctly though, the software will not allow you to turn off codes
Yeah I've read that as well but I have mil elimators for the rear o2s, otherwise all my electronics function as they should.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
This still doesn't give me the "do it myself" that I desire lol. I'm not a fan of subletting work. As for pulling the cams, that means pulling the motor and jacking with my dynamic ratio which may axe pump gas which im not quite ready for. Maybe a project next winter.
Sooooo true! Having that freedom away from a tuner is a desire of mine to the point of switching mine up over to a carburetor. As much tinkering as ive done, swapping to a carb makes sence.

The only issue i have with my 5.4l swap is working on it...lmao. Kind of dumb, but that thing is huge! Any work desired means pulling the engine.

Im not folling you on the dynamic ratio...?
I assume you mean compression dynamic ratio? ....well youre in luck cause regrinding the cams doesnt touch the intake lobe, only the exhaust. Ill try to explain.

You paid for an intake lobe and overlap degree amount best known as "off the shelf cams". The exhaust lobe is where you find the power with your combination. Delaying the exhaust opening allows longer combustion period. This is possible long as the exhaust port can support the exhaust demands in a timely manner. A smooth stock drivable engine will normally open the exhaust around 50degrees BBDC. Regrinding the cam from a 115lobe seperation angle to a 108 means delaying the exhaust opening 14degrees, placing the exhaust opening at 36degree BBDC.

Dedicated race engines are known to be 10degrees ABDC.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online