turbo recommendations?

GT3FC

Reaction score
I apologize in advance if this is posted in the wrong section. I want to go single turbo with my 2002 4.6l 2v. but I dont know much about the different kits on the market. anyone willing to help me out by educating me? or making recommendations on a unit or a kit? and please also tell me why you recommend said kit or what you like about it.

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Turbo builds can get pretty pricey.

Buying a full kit from hellion is cool if you have the pockets for it.
On 3 is also an option with their new forward facing kit.

I think most turbo setups will also require you to run a tubular k member setup, so there goes more money.

Maybe [MENTION=8889]justinschmidt1[/MENTION] can shed some light on the subject.

OP
OP
GT3FC

GT3FC

Reaction score
I was told by one of the two mechanics that I trust in AZ (no disrespect to any other mechanics in the state) that on3 was a good place to get the piping from but not to get the turbo unit from on3. anyone wanna shed some light on this please

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
at the minimum the V-band clamps that come with their kits suck. You can upgrade the turbo.

OP
OP
GT3FC

GT3FC

Reaction score
I just did a basic search on on3 reviews and on just morals alone I dont want to give that company my business. I saw some good stories, but there were some horror stories that are not worth the risk in my opinion. Buy cheap buy twice. its not always the case but in this situation I believe theres a good chance its true.

RichV

Reaction score
Well for what it's worth on reviews ...

You can have a million sales that went exactly as planned and you won't see shit for a review. One person feels like they got cheated and it's all over the web, whether it's the company or some person's fabricated story. I think turbo/SC setups get purchased by a lot of people that may not have the skills to do the job, or expect something unrealistic. Then they slam the manufacturer.

As stated, you can't go wrong with Hellion. I helped a buddy install a On3 kit on his Foxbody and I can say that everything fit correctly, there was plenty of clearance around everything. He did get every hot side part coated. Tune and fuel system was definitely necessary, he didn't have any issues running the car as a DD for the 6 or so months after the install. Then he sold it.

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score
I ran the on3 FF kit...and as far as the piping goes, its ok, you just at the very least should make sure the v bands are flat and buy some RPS v band clamps before installing the kit.

Dont use any of their gaskets and make sure to do something decent with the oil relocation setup, dont use fittins/hose/clamps.

There is 2 ways of looking at it.

You either go cheap all the way, stick with on3 turbo, gate, and bov and it should be ok if you take care of the other issues.

If you plan on upgrading all the components of the kit after you factor in the price of all the tubular shit and upgrades you're really not far off a Hellion tuner kit which comes with solid components and all the tubular front end pieces with coil overs so thats something to think about.

If you plan to upgrade everything I would say go Hellion.

FWIW, I upgraded all the components and dicked around with leaks and issues for a while and if I were to do it over again, I would have just spent a little more cash for a hellion setup.

Another thing to think about is if you ever decide to sell the car or pull the kit off it does look a lot better to have a hellion kit on the car and a hellion kit will probably have a lot more value than a used on3 kit.

The used on3 kits are almost scrap metal on the second hand market haha

KillNThrill24

Legend
Reaction score
JS would know better than most of us about the on3. So don't think I'm knockin on you man because I'm definitely not, but I have to throw it out there that I've read a lot more positive reviews on them RECENTLY with their newest ff setup. A lot of guys are saying that the kit has improved a lot over the old style ff and a lot of the issues were fixed. Hell there's a guy making over 700 on his bullitt (if your on fb much I'm sure you know the guy I'm talking about) and he swears by the kit. However I do still hear about the clamps being a weak spot so that is something to keep in mind should you decide to go that route.

Just posting what I've heard about them. JS had tons of problems with his old setup but that was the earlier kit. I'd do some digging on the newer revised kit and see what you find out.

But either way the Hellion is by far the superior kit in every way. From the core components to the way it fits.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score
The on3 is a great budget solution, im not knocking it at all, just a few things to be aware before you install everything is all.

And while it may work, theres still a lot of small things that let you know its a budget kit vs a hellion kit.

Hell, I couldnt even use the entire exhaust/ ypipe setup they supplied with the kit cause the design was retarded and made the center section hang down really far for no reason.

Im not sure if the hellion is any better but another thing that was annoying was the placement of the turbo made it so I couldnt install a turbo blanket.

decipha

Reaction score
I've dealt with them both and in my book they're both about the same, I remember running into some issues with the older on3 kits cracking manifolds but they've since fixed that issue

I wouldn't hesitate to use either one, the hellion is a tad better quality and its reflected in the price but I can't say anything bad about the on3 kits

which ever route you go just be sure you get yourself a nice turbo, this link will give you a bunch of good info you'll need to know before buying a turbo

http://info.efidynotuning.com/pre.htm

OP
OP
GT3FC

GT3FC

Reaction score
thanks y'all I thought this thread was prettty much dead I'll look more into the on3 because 2500 is alot easier on the wallet than 6000ish.....alot of good info being learned from y'all

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twisteddalek

Members online