Turbosmart Konpact BPV

Wild Horses

Reaction score
A couple months ago when I had the car on the dyno I saw these in the shops display case and was pretty interested having never heard of them before. Looked em up and saw they are super cheap also! Still having my plastic Bosch bpv from vortech on the cobra and nearing 17 pounds of boost I’ve known I needed an upgrade. I ordered one from an eBay store today and it is on its way.

Question is... why aren’t these things more popular with the centri blower guys? They are advertised as direct replacements for the plastic BPVs. I’m hoping the spring will help my boost build up a little sooner and keep the IATs maybe a little cooler.

Hopefully someone can fix the spelling on “kompact” in the title. it won’t let me for some reason.

Here’s a link.
http://www.turbosmartdirect.com/Product-Categories/Ford-Kompact-BOVs/Kompact-Plumb-Back-25mm.html

01yellercobra

Reaction score
My first guess would be that you can't change the spring. For superchargers you need to run the green spring which opens around 0" of vacuum. That BOV won't open until you see 15". Not ideal in a supercharger set up. It's going to close as soon as you start to take off.

This won't help boost build sooner. The blower will still need to hit the right RPM to start making boost. If you want to get around that you need to go to a waste gated set up. Which can be hard on the blower, but they're pretty popular with the S197 crowd.

OP
OP
Wild Horses

Wild Horses

Reaction score
My first guess would be that you can't change the spring. For superchargers you need to run the green spring which opens around 0" of vacuum. That BOV won't open until you see 15". Not ideal in a supercharger set up. It's going to close as soon as you start to take off.

This won't help boost build sooner. The blower will still need to hit the right RPM to start making boost. If you want to get around that you need to go to a waste gated set up. Which can be hard on the blower, but they're pretty popular with the S197 crowd.

the link I posted has been taking people to the wrong one I’m pretty sure. The BPV that came has three spring options and it comes w the green one in it. It ended up working out perfectly. Fit exactly in the same spot as the plastic Bosch part and it’s the same size...just billet aluminum and has an o ring setup like the popular expensive BPVs. It’s kinda loud but it’s been working great.

OP
OP
Wild Horses

Wild Horses

Reaction score
Here’s the one I got. They even have a “dual function” version where it recirculates until WOT and then it vents to atmosphere, but that one is a little bigger. Check these things out guys.

F9898D1F-8F12-49D7-A8F4-B53C7064CC7C.png

01yellercobra

Reaction score
Here’s the one I got. They even have a “dual function” version where it recirculates until WOT and then it vents to atmosphere, but that one is a little bigger. Check these things out guys.

View attachment 2324
If it vented to atmosphere at WOT the car wouldn't build boost. It probably means that you can either run as recirculating or vented to atmosphere. Which you can do with pretty much any bypass.

OP
OP
Wild Horses

Wild Horses

Reaction score
If it vented to atmosphere at WOT the car wouldn't build boost. It probably means that you can either run as recirculating or vented to atmosphere. Which you can do with pretty much any bypass.

It works as a both a blow of valve in race conditions and a recirculating bypass in normal driving. Idk what system could have use for that but that’s what the dual feature is.... AT wot driving it vents to atmosphere between shifts is what I should have typed out.

OP
OP
Wild Horses

Wild Horses

Reaction score
Here’s the dual feature. The pic has the smaller diameter tube option but you get the idea. I think they’ve got some decent parts in their catalog.

715E4889-8711-451B-8F2A-F86AB2E57012.jpeg

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
IF your venting to atmosphere after the maf has metered the air isn't that going to make it run rich?

OP
OP
Wild Horses

Wild Horses

Reaction score
IF your venting to atmosphere after the maf has metered the air isn't that going to make it run rich?

No idea. I wouldn’t think it’d matter on a wot pull but I wouldn’t use that dual function unless I was doing a blow thru system.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
No idea. I wouldn’t think it’d matter on a wot pull but I wouldn’t use that dual function unless I was doing a blow thru system.
I am still new to the boost arena, but I thought that was why people used the bypass that instead of going to atmosphere.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
You never want to vent to atmosphere after the maf. It can cause issues.

This is why the bov should always go before the maf so the the ecu only sees what’s actually going in to the motor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I thought that was the case. After the air gets past the maf, the computer is already figured the adding the gas needed for that much air. If you vent to atmosphere and the computer doesn't know it, it will still add that much gas now for much less air. I started off running a bypass valve and the stock computer so I have an upgraded bypass valve that I had planned on using. Then I switched to the holley hp system that uses a MAP sensor instead of a MAF. I am not positive but I am fairly sure that with the MAP sensor reading the pressure of the upper intake and with the bypass before it that it would not be a problem now for me to vent to atmosphere but at the moment if it ain't broke I ain't fixing it....

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I thought that was the case. After the air gets past the maf, the computer is already figured the adding the gas needed for that much air. If you vent to atmosphere and the computer doesn't know it, it will still add that much gas now for much less air. I started off running a bypass valve and the stock computer so I have an upgraded bypass valve that I had planned on using. Then I switched to the holley hp system that uses a MAP sensor instead of a MAF. I am not positive but I am fairly sure that with the MAP sensor reading the pressure of the upper intake and with the bypass before it that it would not be a problem now for me to vent to atmosphere but at the moment if it ain't broke I ain't fixing it....

Map’s don’t have that issue. That’s why many switch over to them with turbo setups.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vallybell

Staff online