Tweeters

07GtS197

Reaction score
Does anyone know if all new edges were prewired for tweeters? One thing I didn’t realize when I bought my 02 gt is that it has the base audio with no tweeters. I’m installing an aftermarket radio and would like to use tweeters if possible.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
no I do not think the wiring is there unless you had the mach option. Its not hard to add the tweeter pod if you want and get some aftermarket component speakers to fill them and you can mount the cross over under the door panel

OP
OP
07GtS197

07GtS197

Reaction score
That’s what I think I’m going to do. I pulled out what looks like a 20 year old single din kenwood head unit and will swap it out with a double din unit. I’m planning on keeping this car forever so I’m actually going to mess with the sound system in this one.

badass98svt

Reaction score
You should be happy you don't have the Mach 460. It much easier on you to add or swap out speakers.
FYI the speaker in the upper door isnt a tweeter on these cars. It's for mids and highs. The lower door speaker is a 6x8 sub. Replacing the upper speaker with a tweeter would sound like crap. Trying to push mids out of the tweeter doesn't work.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
You will need to make a mounting plate to mount your tweeter in the stock location. I modified mine a while back and have a file for my cnc that I could modify and cut to make it easier for you.

PinkieT

Reaction score
You should be happy you don't have the Mach 460. It much easier on you to add or swap out speakers.
FYI the speaker in the upper door isnt a tweeter on these cars. It's for mids and highs. The lower door speaker is a 6x8 sub. Replacing the upper speaker with a tweeter would sound like crap. Trying to push mids out of the tweeter doesn't work.
I get confused. To me, a sub or subwoofer handles the very low bass notes, and just adds bottom to a regular woofer. Is there another woofer???

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
They are very similar but technically slightly different. a woofer plays low range/bass but a sub-woofer plays the lowest of that low range. It is not common to hear either term when you are technically talking about a sub-woofer and no one cares.

For example the system I am planning on installing will have a 12" sub(playing from 20-50ish hz), a 9" woofer(playing from 50-150ish), a 5" mid and a 1" tweeter to cover the full range

OP
OP
07GtS197

07GtS197

Reaction score
I originally wanted to go back to stock as I’m not really an audiophile but screw it now. I liked the stock mach system in my last 02 though. I already have a head unit to go in anyway.

Yeah Scott that would be cool, I’ll need to get the enclosures first and some speakers to go in there.

badass98svt

Reaction score
Last edited:

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
lower door i am sure he meant. The tweeter is technically more of a mid-range speaker that also goes into the higher/tweeter range.

badass98svt

Reaction score
lower door i am sure he meant. The tweeter is technically more of a mid-range speaker that also goes into the higher/tweeter range.

No, I mean the upper door. Upper door speaker or "tweeter" covers 300hz- 20k or so.
The 6x8 covers 300hz and below.
Read that link I posted. It's interesting how it's all wired.

PinkieT

Reaction score
They are very similar but technically slightly different. a woofer plays low range/bass but a sub-woofer plays the lowest of that low range. It is not common to hear either term when you are technically talking about a sub-woofer and no one cares.

For example the system I am planning on installing will have a 12" sub(playing from 20-50ish hz), a 9" woofer(playing from 50-150ish), a 5" mid and a 1" tweeter to cover the full range
I've been into audio as long as I've been into cars, and I'm also a musician. Yep, you are describing a true subwoofer application. My DD has a Rockford Fosgate system in it with tweets and 6.5s up front and a 12" sub in the cargo area. It grates on me when somebody selling a two way PA speaker and says it has a horn tweeter and a 15" sub, kinda like when somebody tells me about the posi in their SN95 axle.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I started installing car audio security the year before we picked up our 94 gt and have done it as a side job out of my garage as well as at a few different shops since. Its a hobby now.

TrickVert

Reaction score
I've been installing car audio as a hobby since the eighties. (Yes, I'm getting old.) The door speakers are not "subwoofers," even in the Mach 460 system. Yes, the Mach system sends frequencies below 300 Hz to them (in parallel? That's interesting), but you'll be lucky if they go below the 60 or 50Hz that's normal for most any standard automotive woofer. In the non-Mach system, the door speaker is being used for the full range of audio. If I recall correctly, it's a 6x8 with a whizzer cone?

If changing out the entire system, you'll likely want to install a a component set with a 6.5" woofer in the door, and a tweeter in the upper pod. A subwoofer in the trunk could then give you extended low end response.

If you're not going to install an amplifier, and won't be using a sub, you can get away with re-using the factory wiring, and install the crossover for the fronts in the door as mentioned above. Then find a set of coaxial 6x8's for the rear. The Alpine R series is a decent midline choice, IMO. Even if you do want a sub, you could still re-use the factory wiring, and use a line-level convertor, or an amp with speaker-level inputs. It's not ideal, but can work if your looking to not tear apart the car.

I have a full system in my '95,and would be happy to post pics and details if it will help.

OP
OP
07GtS197

07GtS197

Reaction score
I’m not looking to install everything just yet but eventually yes I want to replace everything but I don’t really want a sub. If you have it documented somewhere I’d like to see how yours is set up. I’m a novice when it comes to car audio lol.

badass98svt

Reaction score
If you're not going to install an amplifier, and won't be using a sub, you can get away with re-using the factory wiring, and install the crossover for the fronts in the door as mentioned above. Then find a set of coaxial 6x8's for the rear.
How will this work with a Mach 460 though?

Installing coaxials in the 6x8 hole is just going to feed them 300hz and below.

For the record, since everyone seems to be posting their resume, I've done 3 full stereos in Mach 460 cars, as well as every other mustang I have owned, other than a 1982 Capri RS.
Doing an entire setup in my 98 Cobra this spring. Sound deadener, all new speaker wires, Focal separates up front, Focal coaxials out back, Kenwood 800.5 amp, and JL Stealthbox with a 10w3v3.
I plan on taking some pics as I go along.

TrickVert

Reaction score
He doesn't have the Mach system.

"One thing I didn’t realize when I bought my 02 gt is that it has the base audio with no tweeters."

P. S. I suggested the coaxials for the rear.

Last edited:

TrickVert

Reaction score
I'll have to see where I might have posted my build before. Maybe Corral. In the meantime, then, I'd suggest you find some Mach 460 mid-tweet pods to retrofit, and go speaker shopping. :)

You'll have a little wiring work to do and will have to buy or make some adapter plates for the speakers, but it should be a fairly easy project. If you buy the equipment through Crutchfield, they can usually provide the correct wiring adapters and speaker plates. (They used to do this for free. Not sure if they still do?)

I'd suggest adding some sound deadening material to the doors while you have things apart. Even a small amount goes a *long* way toward improving the sound. I bought Noico material via Amazon for my F150. It was reasonably priced and works well.

TrickVert

Reaction score
I can't locate a write-up, so here are a few pics from the install in 2006 (!?).

DSC00940.JPG
DSC00877.JPG
DSC00876.JPG

And for anyone with a 'vert who' s interested...

DSC00716.JPG

(And yes, that's ice guard. It was better than nothing at the time. There weren't many affordable deadener options 15 years ago, and I was on a budget.)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hazel113

Members online

No members online now.