Under drive pulleys question

Win

Legend
Reaction score
Yeah win I realize what a stocker idles at and as Ive said Ive ran them on stock and bolt on cars including Bolton fox bodies with zero issues.

I with ya on that Rich these guys must cruise at idle to be having all these problems... Well actually not one person has stated a specific problem or failure. IDK

I actually stated I had them on my current 95 when I got them. I promptly removed them when I got them and traded for a set of stock ones. It was causing a charging issue. I was only pulling mid to low 12's. Battery and alt tested perfect. Changed out to a OEM set and bamn 14+ volts . It might have been rich I traded with. I can't remember.

RichV

Reaction score
Ya, it was Win. I sent you my crank/pump OEMs a while back for your BBK aluminums.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
now that I am taking a look at cleaning things up under the hood I have considered a nice looking stock replacement set but it seems like there are 10 different chevy styles available for every 1 ford.

fiveohwblow

Reaction score
Just curious what the good/bad difference is between aluminum and steel?

From my understanding the aluminum ones have a tendency to be a bit softer and more malleable and prone to dusting from constant contact with the belt.

95opal

Reaction score
Just curious what the good/bad difference is between aluminum and steel?

Rotational mass

I think the best pulleys besides stock are stock replacement by wazee

Mikes not producing pulleys anymore so you cant buy them anymore.

Not my experience, just what I've read. Steel is certainly stronger and aluminum pullies I'm told dust in the tracks/ribs if not coated properly. Again, just what I've read.

Some of said wear issues along with failures in this thread

http://forums.corral.net/forums/5-0...13-steel-vs-aluminum-under-drive-pulleys.html

You do realize ASP has fixed that problem with the water pump pulley already.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Rotational mass

interesting I didn't think there would be much of a performance gain in aluminum vs steel I figured it was a quality problem of some type. Any idea what the hp gain between the two is?

fiveohwblow

Reaction score
Rotational mass

Nope. I took a long hiatus from UDP and the concern for them years ago. I just remembered reading about it and saw dislike for them here again and made the connection.

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
My few pullies I do have are all aluminum lol .... Blower pulley ,crank and alternator lol oh and power steering . With the amount of pullies missing I think I'll be ok with my alternator underdriven pulley , my car was fine before so will see how she goes

J-rod17

Reaction score
Anyone that was concerned with the cooling issue ever ran the 93 cobra water pump pulley?

Read something like the center hole can be opened up just a tad and fit the SN95 water pump. Any knowledge on that here?

Also...anyone here able to tell me what the measurement on an UD crank pulley is supposed to be?

Thanks!

95opal

Reaction score
Anyone that was concerned with the cooling issue ever ran the 93 cobra water pump pulley?

Read something like the center hole can be opened up just a tad and fit the SN95 water pump. Any knowledge on that here?

Also...anyone here able to tell me what the measurement on an UD crank pulley is supposed to be?

Thanks!

yes you can problem is finding one

rz5.0

Legend
Reaction score
Yes you can use make the hole bigger.. I did it on my 95. Used one of the bits that looks like a cone. . Forgot what they are called. .

Enviado usando mi SHP-L710 usando TapaTalk

J-rod17

Reaction score
Step bit

i got some of them. I had thought to find one and use an old 94 water pump to make it fit off the car then swap to mine on he car

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Srchop16

Members online