Under size pulleys

Adam Vinnicombe

Reaction score
Hi all I have a 2001 ford mustang GT running 4.10 gears, full decat and a pro chamber mac flow exhaust system and am now looking at under size pulleys but is it worth it?
The is only a weekend car and sees no more that 3,000 miles a year
Cheers

07GtS197

Reaction score
In my opinion no. They slow down the accessories to free up a few hp but its not much. Id do a 75mm tb and upper intake plenum before touching the pullies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
if its a street car I would keep the stock pullies on it. In a track car or one that isn't sitting and idling they are find but if you spend time in traffic its not worth the trouble.

OP
OP
Adam Vinnicombe

Adam Vinnicombe

Reaction score
OK thanks for the replies lads I will be dropping the underdrive pulley idea. Just want to get as much power out of the old V8 as possible but still be able to drive it on the roads and in town traffic.
Any ideas on what else I could do to gain more power about from nitrous and a blower?

OP
OP
Adam Vinnicombe

Adam Vinnicombe

Reaction score
The budget is around £2,000 a year. So I was either going to do a for bolt on N/A car and look at some stage two or even stage three cams OR put the £2,000 a year budget away for two ish years and get a blower

OP
OP
Adam Vinnicombe

Adam Vinnicombe

Reaction score
The mods I've done this year are as follows
Decat
Long tube headers
Pro chamber mac flow exhaust (from headers to tail pipe)
4.10 gears
Corba drilled and slotted front and rear discs
Corba calipers up front & new pads all round.
Steeda adjustable clutch
11" Corba clutch and pressure plate
Diabolospot 91 octane tune
I have also fitted a new aftermarket intake manifold but people are saying its the worst one I could of fitted. I will post a picture of it in at tick. So advise on if it is a crap one or not would be good

07GtS197

Reaction score
Oh yeah thats probably a Dorman intake, the runners are smaller and shorter than factory. There has been documented losses associated with that intake. When you can swing it find an frpp intake and swap it.

I dont think youll be happy with 2v na power. Itll be more cost effective and I think youll be happier in the long run if you save up for a blower. Once you get one I would highly recommend you keep on saving for incidentals like windowing the block lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
There have also been a lot of issues of just getting that intake to seal up correctly. It sucks but I don't know anyone that has been happy with it.

OP
OP
Adam Vinnicombe

Adam Vinnicombe

Reaction score
Poo, so I've brought a crap intake nice. I can say that the intake has sealed and the engine is running which is nice but I will keep my eyes open for a ford racing intake.

D3VST8R96GT

Reaction score
If you do under drive pulleys do the full steeda kit or atleast a march harmonic balancer. Get the ARP bolt too. Do you have a manual trans?

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Having been through the upgrade train a few times i'd recommend:
Brakes first, good performance / feel for the $ and looks better.
Clutch/shifter next
exhaust is all about sound, you won't gain much of any power being NA.
then the rest.

That's my $.02 anyway. Sound like a fun weekend car :)

OP
OP
Adam Vinnicombe

Adam Vinnicombe

Reaction score
Brakes, clutch, exhaust, 4.10 gears, shifter have already been done. Home made cold intake system fitted as well. Now is time to make her faster
And yes she is a great weekend car I'm loving it. She a big difference from my turbocharged 1972 VW beetle but I need her faster

01yellercobra

Reaction score
Get the proper intake first. My son's car came with crappy intake. He swapped it for a good PI intake and said there was a noticable difference in power. Then save your pennies for a blower.

OP
OP
Adam Vinnicombe

Adam Vinnicombe

Reaction score
I which there was a company in the UK that sold the ford racing intake. Buy the time I got it from the states and payed import and duty on it its nearly doubled in price

Reaction score
For the record - it’s underDRIVE, not undersize pulleys. The pulleys are in fact larger than factory.

lutter94

Reaction score
For the record - it’s underDRIVE, not undersize pulleys. The pulleys are in fact larger than factory.
I've never had them but which pulleys do you get? The crank pulley better be smaller.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cwacaser

Members online