Upgrade bulbs?

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
‘95 Cobra coupe...

can I swap out upgraded bulbs (LED, Hhalogen, etc) for the OE directly or does this require additional wiring harnesses, etc?

Thanks!

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
If your doing it the right way it requires different housings or modifications with installing projectors. Otherwise your not helping your visibility, your just blinding everyone coming towards you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
as he said the hid/led lights have a different light output that is designed for a projector type of housing. It probably will not take long before someone says to you that they put them in their car and they are perfect and no one flashes him. By now we have all learned that these people are just WAITING for the opportunity to flash their brights back at you and we don't play that game anymore now we just curse and flip you off as you drive by.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I prefer to find out where they live and shine a high powered spotlight in their bedroom windows while they try to sleep at night. Seems a fair trade to me!!!!!! [emoji23]

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Evil & ttocs,

Thanks for the feedback. I’m going to scrap the upgrade idea and just get new OE bulbs all around.

Thank you both!

delling3

Reaction score
So, popular opinion is the LED bulbs won't work in reflector housings. That was true once upon a time, but the current crop of new technology is significantly different. There are newer bulbs will work quite well in a reflector housing, without tons of glare or crappy light patterns. Not saying that a quality projector housing isn't going to offer more performance, just that the LED's are a big improvement over stock or high performance halogens. Check out this video - very informative:

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
There is factory style bulbs that are way brighter and better coloring to use in the factory housings. You’ll spend about $50 on them but they truly make a huge difference

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Evil, et al...
You guys NAILED IT! I went with replacement bulbs, not LED’s or whatever all those “way too bright they get you flashed at “ and man am I happy! Did all 4 on each side rear with Sylvania long life and used whatever came with my new headlights/turn housings. Suits me just fine!! Now just have to wait for darkness to adjust.

Anyone know how to adjust headlights? Is it those black twisty things on the bolts?

Adfalenski

Reaction score
A big problem that many overlook and/or ignore is adjusting your headlights. You may have the greatest headlights(halogen, LED, HID) but if they are not properly adjusted, you will still have crap. I will park on the dark side of a building(Walmart, Costco, the local Chick-fil-A, etc) in a level parking lot at night with my low beams on. I adjust them so that the levels of both sides match and that they shine parallel with the surface of the parking lot. If your headlights are centered 23” at your bumper, they should be the same at 50’ from the bumper. This is what they are designed for.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
A big problem that many overlook and/or ignore is adjusting your headlights. You may have the greatest headlights(halogen, LED, HID) but if they are not properly adjusted, you will still have crap. I will park on the dark side of a building(Walmart, Costco, the local Chick-fil-A, etc) in a level parking lot at night with my low beams on. I adjust them so that the levels of both sides match and that they shine parallel with the surface of the parking lot. If your headlights are centered 23” at your bumper, they should be the same at 50’ from the bumper. This is what they are designed for.

level at 50’ out. Got it, thanks Adfalenski!

MyBoxersSayJoe

Reaction score
So, popular opinion is the LED bulbs won't work in reflector housings. That was true once upon a time, but the current crop of new technology is significantly different. There are newer bulbs will work quite well in a reflector housing, without tons of glare or crappy light patterns. Not saying that a quality projector housing isn't going to offer more performance, just that the LED's are a big improvement over stock or high performance halogens. Check out this video - very informative:

Awesome, thanks! I'd made a thread a few weeks ago about LED bulbs and received no responses. At least now I know what to and not to look for.

Werecow

Reaction score
I've got a set of LED's on my '04 sport-trac, and yes I did have to readjust them. I had to pull them waaaaaaaaayyyy down to get the proper adjustment. But after lining that out I've got really good lights on mine now, they reach out a lot further and it's a lot whiter light than the Sylvania silverstar's were. I've not been high beamed with them in the year I've had them in so far.. I'll have to look back to find which ones I got but they are a perfect fit on the factory Ford headlights with the retainer ring. Just my $0.02 worth...

TheOdessa

Reaction score
I have Morimoto H1 7.0's retrofitting in my stang. I have SV-4 LED bulbs in my 2018 F150.

The projectors are the best, hands down. The depth and width of the beam are light years above what you'll achieve from a reflector set up.

With that said, the SV-4 bulbs are an extreme upgrade from the stock bulbs. You will need to reaim them or you'll be blinding people. Headlight Revolution does a good job at educating on how to do this properly. Additionally don't go with a cheap LED bulb. Stick with SV or GTR from headlight revolution. I had Morimoto 2 stroke 2.0's and while the beam was good, they sucked with longevity.

Good lucky.

TrickVert

Reaction score
Projector housings can employ LED's or HID's with little or no issues. These "retrofits" will never work in reflector housings with 100% effectiveness until LED manufacturers can duplicate exactly the size and position of the comparison bulb's halogen filament. This is evidenced by "I had to adjust them way down," etc. If the bulb is a perfect match for another it replaces, there is no adjustment required.

MyLittlePony

Reaction score
A big problem that many overlook and/or ignore is adjusting your headlights.

I remember one time replaced g my headlights, though bulbs were still factory OEM. They shined as good as I thought they had previously, and we did adjust them, but I guess it still wasn’t accurate enough. I rarely drive at night anyway. Well, I was parked in front of a house with my lights on. Quiet residential street. And this guy starts approaching me flashing his brights. He wasn’t warning me of a cop or anything because he kept doing it. So I started flashing my brights too. He wouldn’t stop. So I didn’t either. Did he want me to keep my brights on? Would that make him stop? Because it should’ve been obvious they weren’t when I started mimicking him. Anyway, just seemed weird because it’s not like I had the blinding HID bulbs that modern cars have, or had upgraded to them.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cwacaser

Members online