Power antenna upgrade 1995 Cobra coupe?

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone swap the stock mast antenna for a power (retractable) one? I swapped the stock mast out for a windshield-mounted antenna bar and it is worse than the mast. Very likely due to the topography of the area I live in.

I could just go back to the mast (still have it), but I’d like a retractable for a car cover. Plus, it’s just a cleaner look, IMO. Is this a major PITA install for a stereo shop? What’s involved?

Many thanks everyone! Cheers!!

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
not a big deal at all but it might cost ya a couple of hours labor as the fender liner has to come out, some wiring needs to be ran/connected and then the cost of the part itself.

I hardly noticed any difference at all from my windshield antenna

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
not a big deal at all but it might cost ya a couple of hours labor as the fender liner has to come out, some wiring needs to be ran/connected and then the cost of the part itself.

I hardly noticed any difference at all from my windshield antenna
I noticed a significant loss in AM/FM reception. Was tons better with the mast. But again, I live and do the majority of my driving/travel in hills/valleys.

Anyone do the swap to power antenna??

badass98svt

Reaction score
I just unscrew my antenna and lay it across the cowl when I throw the cover on the car.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
I like to leave the antenna on under the cover. Gives it that BIG Johnston pup tent look!

Just kidding

I took mine off along with removal of all the audio crap

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I gotta have my music!

garrittpwl

Reaction score
Antenna? Whats that? I just opted for a radio with bluetooth. My phone does all the antenna things.

taOCqXV.jpeg

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I do Bluetooth, Pandora, radio station apps, etc. I just want to peruse radio stations every once in a while. My choice.

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
I just unscrew my antenna and lay it across the cowl when I throw the cover on the car.

That's what I do too on my foxbody. The antenna is only finger tight, so when I get back from my ride, i just unscrew it, law it across the cowl and toss the cover on.

They do make car cover antenna grommets as well. My cover is too stretchy for this but it could be an option depending on the type of cover.

1710421970044.png

On the SN95 i just installed one of those 8" tall antennas. I don't really listen to FM anymore.

joemomma

Reaction score
The juice probably isn't worth the squeeze here if I was guessing.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, probably not. So “never mind “!!!

TrickVert

Reaction score
They do make car cover antenna grommets as well. My cover is too stretchy for this but it could be an option depending on the type of cover.

View attachment 33372
This is what I'd do. You can even put some clear Gorilla tape on both sides then punch a hole for the mast to go through if you don't want to mess with a grommet.

I unscrewed my antenna and plugged the hole with a small Christmas-tree fastener. BT music is all I need. (And much of my driving is far from the reach of CO Springs radio stations anyway.)

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
I think it’s actually 10-24. It’s coarse pitch and my 5mm bolts don’t match up

I only have 10-32 nuts on hand so they don’t fit but it’s close.

Attachments

• IMG_8576.jpeg
    IMG_8576.jpeg
    97.5 KB · Views: 3

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suprasuavy

Members online