Upper/Lower Intake Question

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
I'm starting to get serious about adding some more power and getting started on my HCI build. I'd like to start off doing my upper and lower intake first. I have a 70mm throttlebody going on. I'd like to do this Trickflow TrackHeat Upper and Lower. Says it has a 75MM TB opening. Question is. Do I need a throttlebody adapter thats 75MM too? My throttlebody will be a 70MM. I like the look of the black upper, so the tb adapter will be black as well. I won't need a tune for the upper and lower right? Only until I do the heads and cam I'd need one?
Heres the intake
http://www.latemodelrestoration.com...ustang-50L-Black-Trick-Flow-Track-Heat-Intake

Heres the tb adapter

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com...-50L-Gt-Black-Trick-Flow-75Mm-Throttle-Body-A

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
I wouldn't put the track heat on your car before heads

OP
OP
the5.ohh

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
I might grab a set of GT40s when I have the dough. So I'd do them at the same time most likely now that I think about it
What kinda power are you wanting to achieve?
Close to 300 RWHP. I have 56k miles, motor runs strong. Got mac 1-5/8" longtubes, full exhaust, cai, 76mm maf. Have a 70mm tb waiting to go on.

ElrodKTPQ_89

Legend
Reaction score
56K damn you! Lol. If that's your goal you could prolly save some money and just get a cobra or explorer intake with a good set of heads with 1.7's and a cam. Not gonna lie I was deadset on a trickflow intake til I saw the price tag for a new one.

OP
OP
the5.ohh

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
56K damn you! Lol. If that's your goal you could prolly save some money and just get a cobra or explorer intake with a good set of heads with 1.7's and a cam. Not gonna lie I was deadset on a trickflow intake til I saw the price tag for a new one.

Haha! I got it with around 53,4xx miles. Yeah man I'm looking for any where close to 300 rwhp. I could find a cobra upper and lower or a GT40. I'm leaning towards GT40 heads, 1.7 RR's and a TFS 1 cam. Now if I got a cobra upper and lower or GT40 i could put it on now right? Thinking 24lb injectors too. The trickflows $$ but they're good. But i could score a Gt40 for under 300. So figure upper/lower/cam for under 600.

Magic

Reaction score
Haha! I got it with around 53,4xx miles. Yeah man I'm looking for any where close to 300 rwhp. I could find a cobra upper and lower or a GT40. I'm leaning towards GT40 heads, 1.7 RR's and a TFS 1 cam. Now if I got a cobra upper and lower or GT40 i could put it on now right? Thinking 24lb injectors too. The trickflows $$ but they're good. But i could score a Gt40 for under 300. So figure upper/lower/cam for under 600.

Arent you AOD? Or have you done a T5 swap?

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
Rich's car and my car both made over 280rwhp with gt40 heads and I got the Chinese typhoon manifold my cams a bit bigger he's got the e303 and I have the f303 . So you can make the numbers your looking for . I would personally do a gt40 intake ported lower , and I'd do some porting on the gt40 heads if ur capEable .... The tfs stage 1 cam works great with gt40 setups as does the e303

ElrodKTPQ_89

Legend
Reaction score
Yea if you swap just the intake you can go ahead and run it. If you got an explorer intake you would have to have an elbow though. The pull yard where I live has atleast ten 5.0 explorers right now. I plan on pulling a set of GT40p's and having a lil machine work done and putting my 1.7's in them. I just had my bottom end completely rebuilt so I don't wanna spend the money on a stroker kit. I plan on a long term goal of 300 also so a budget top end swap is my best bet.

OP
OP
the5.ohh

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
Arent you AOD? Or have you done a T5 swap?
AODE yeah why?
Rich's car and my car both made over 280rwhp with gt40 heads and I got the Chinese typhoon manifold my cams a bit bigger he's got the e303 and I have the f303 . So you can make the numbers your looking for . I would personally do a gt40 intake ported lower , and I'd do some porting on the gt40 heads if ur capEable .... The tfs stage 1 cam works great with gt40 setups as does the e303
Those are good numbers. I'd be happy with 280 rwhp. Seriously gonna start saving and get a set of GT40 heads, GT40 upper and lower (might know someone to port it), E303 or TFS 1 cam, 1.7RR's, and obviously all the other misc stuff, lifters, pushrods etc.
Yea if you swap just the intake you can go ahead and run it. If you got an explorer intake you would have to have an elbow though. The pull yard where I live has atleast ten 5.0 explorers right now. I plan on pulling a set of GT40p's and having a lil machine work done and putting my 1.7's in them. I just had my bottom end completely rebuilt so I don't wanna spend the money on a stroker kit. I plan on a long term goal of 300 also so a budget top end swap is my best bet.
Sounds good. I'll have to start saving and see what I can get. Atleast I'll save on the intake part of the build. Everything else except if I can get a used TB adapter will be new. I might know someone who can port the intake for me. Ahh.. So your ready for FI lol. Around me I doubt theres any 5.0 explorers lying around. Got a local junkyard so who knows. I wanna get the heads new to be on the safe side. I'm on a budget too, so first purchase will probably be the upper and lower, than cam, heads, and all the other stuff

ElrodKTPQ_89

Legend
Reaction score
AODE yeah why?

So your ready for FI lol. Around me I doubt theres any 5.0 explorers lying around. Got a local junkyard so who knows. I wanna get the heads new to be on the safe side. I'm on a budget too, so first purchase will probably be the upper and lower, than cam, heads, and all the other stuff

I seriously doubt I ever go FI that's just more money than I wanna spend. I just want a fun DD. There is one other SN car in my town, and it just happens to be a procharged 306 with like a 125 shot, so I want mine to be atleast second level cool lol.

I was surprised at how many explorers there were at our place. Just go take a look you may be surprised. If you do buy from a pull yard, make sure they will offer some sort of gaurantee on them. Or tell them that you are taking them straight to a machine shop to have them dipped and checked, and that you want a written agreement to refund you for them if they have any cracks or anything.

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
You might run into ptv issues with 1.7's all the way across my setup has 1.6's and 1.7's little fancy action I usually don't tell people that lol

OP
OP
the5.ohh

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
I seriously doubt I ever go FI that's just more money than I wanna spend. I just want a fun DD. There is one other SN car in my town, and it just happens to be a procharged 306 with like a 125 shot, so I want mine to be atleast second level cool lol.

I was surprised at how many explorers there were at our place. Just go take a look you may be surprised. If you do buy from a pull yard, make sure they will offer some sort of gaurantee on them. Or tell them that you are taking them straight to a machine shop to have them dipped and checked, and that you want a written agreement to refund you for them if they have any cracks or anything.

Yeah me either lol. I'd love to get a Vortech or turbo..But my dad won't allow it,he wants me to do the hci haha. I love my car, its decently powered but theres so much room for improvement. Another 100hp will be a nice kick in the ass! Shit a procharged 306 with a 125 shot... talk about power lol. I'd never get a written guarantee here, i'd get laughed at lol. I might be better off getting an intake off ebay, atleast you can dispute the item with paypal and that shit. I just found a nice, clean upper and lower for $199 painted already. When the time comes I'll definitely be on ebay 24/7.. But for now thats on hold until I get my radiator replaced (all new hoses, clamps, 180 degree t stat etc), and have a 70mm tb going on aswell as j&m rear lca's.

OP
OP
the5.ohh

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
You might run into ptv issues with 1.7's all the way across my setup has 1.6's and 1.7's little fancy action I usually don't tell people that lol

Piston to valve clearance? So what should I just get new 1.6s to be safe? I've never heard of mixing RR's like you're doing. Definitely a method to the madness haha

ElrodKTPQ_89

Legend
Reaction score
My thoughts too...if I can make another 100hp over what I have right now, that's like a night and day difference.

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
Piston to valve clearance? So what should I just get new 1.6s to be safe? I've never heard of mixing RR's like you're doing. Definitely a method to the madness haha

Yea it it works well. If ur dad insists on the hci route you can either go the cheaper route we discussed or piece together your own kit with some better heads , prolly cost you around 800 or something for a nice used set

RichV

Reaction score
You gotta do the heads while in there. You'll be pulling that intake again to do the heads. Kill 2 birds with one stone and do it all at once.

The cam you can do a little later and replace the timing set while you're in there.

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score

QFT, you'll be drawing in more air than your stock E7 heads could ever handle.

Yea you need that elbow look at your stock intake.

Unless he does a fox conversion which is a PITA

I might grab a set of GT40s when I have the dough. So I'd do them at the same time most likely now that I think about it. Close to 300 RWHP. I have 56k miles, motor runs strong. Got mac 1-5/8" longtubes, full exhaust, cai, 76mm maf. Have a 70mm tb waiting to go on.

wait for it..

Wait for it...

You gotta do the heads while in there. You'll be pulling that intake again to do the heads. Kill 2 birds with one stone and do it all at once.

The cam you can do a little later and replace the timing set while you're in there.

Now.. All this talk about GT40 heads makes me giggle when you guys forget about another cheap, steel head. World Products Windsor Jr. heads can be had for a good price and will pwn any GT40/GT40P head you pull from a junkyard unless you spend the extra money to have them cleaned up and ported. They'll work with your stock pistons [with 1.6 rockers, Musturd most likely runs the 1.7's on his exhuast valve to cheat for more exhaust airflow :evil: SMART GUY] but always check P to V clearance. Another GREAT option would be to scour Corral for a set of used AFR165 heads. The best and most recommended option is to spend wisely, and spend once. I bought cheap, aluminum heads to spend more money on my bottom end. I ended up with a 800-hp capable short block with a >400 hp top end that has now ate itself. Moral? When you finally get enough money to buy junkyard GT40 heads and a cheap used intake...

KEEP SAVING!!!!!

You will be amazed at the difference a properly thought out HCI will make over one thats cobbled together.

RichV is right, keeping the stock cam would be just fine on the street if it meant using more money to buy better heads first.

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
Looking on corral shows AFR165 heads are going anywhere from 700-1300 depending on mileage.... DUDE.... Save your Shekels and buy AFR heads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online