Upper/Lower Intake Question

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
Good point [MENTION=10188]white95[/MENTION] I often forget about the world products heads . As you said though I've seen used low mile afr's in the 800-1000 range regularly on corral which is a great price . The only reason I have gt40 heads on my combo right now is because the motor in my car was free . I litterally only paid for gaskets and threw my fuel injection stuff on it headers etc.

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
My friend has a set of GT40 heads on a 351w that flow just under 300 cfm [@.600" lift] but it took a massive amount of port restructuring, blending, enlarging the valves and essentially transforming them into what they are. Most likely has AFR205 money in them but they still look stock to the public. YMMV, but I could care less. Most people couldnt tell a 302 from a 351w and steel from aluminum heads anyway...

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
The only reason I have gt40 heads on my combo right now is because the motor in my car was free . I litterally only paid for gaskets and threw my fuel injection stuff on it headers etc.

Aint nothing wrong with that killa

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
Yea the combo works great it goes 12.40's n/a can't wait for May 2nd opening street legals

95opal

Reaction score
QFT, you'll be drawing in more air than your stock E7 heads could ever handle.

Unless he does a fox conversion which is a PITA

wait for it..

Wait for it...

Now.. All this talk about GT40 heads makes me giggle when you guys forget about another cheap, steel head. World Products Windsor Jr. heads can be had for a good price and will pwn any GT40/GT40P head you pull from a junkyard unless you spend the extra money to have them cleaned up and ported. They'll work with your stock pistons [with 1.6 rockers, Musturd most likely runs the 1.7's on his exhuast valve to cheat for more exhaust airflow :evil: SMART GUY] but always check P to V clearance. Another GREAT option would be to scour Corral for a set of used AFR165 heads. The best and most recommended option is to spend wisely, and spend once. I bought cheap, aluminum heads to spend more money on my bottom end. I ended up with a 800-hp capable short block with a >400 hp top end that has now ate itself. Moral? When you finally get enough money to buy junkyard GT40 heads and a cheap used intake...

KEEP SAVING!!!!!

You will be amazed at the difference a properly thought out HCI will make over one thats cobbled together.

RichV is right, keeping the stock cam would be just fine on the street if it meant using more money to buy better heads first.

Looking on corral shows AFR165 heads are going anywhere from 700-1300 depending on mileage.... DUDE.... Save your Shekels and buy AFR heads

Great post white... you nailed it.
To be perfectly honest to do all that work for a set of gt40s just isn't worth it.

95opal

Reaction score
The only reason I have gt40 heads on my combo right now is because the motor in my car was free . I litterally only paid for gaskets and threw my fuel injection stuff on it headers etc.

Don't worry kyle well let ya slide :grin:

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
[MENTION=9659]95opal[/MENTION] - I really wish I wouldv'e listened to everyone who told me the same thing when i was building my engine... There's a saying that goes soemthing like this: "If you can't afford to do it right the first time, you better save to do it a second time" and that's about as accurate as wet to water.

95opal

Reaction score
95opal - I really wish I wouldv'e listened to everyone who told me the same thing when i was building my engine... There's a saying that goes soemthing like this: "If you can't afford to do it right the first time, you better save to do it a second time" and that's about as accurate as wet to water.

110% truth right there...

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score

Same here. I have a friend that works at a local salvage yard and he got a complete 120,000 mile exploder motor that sat on the shelf too long. You could still see the cross hatching on the cyl walls.
He didn't have a 5.0 anymore so he gave it to me. Soo I upgraded the vlv springs and did some minor port work on the intake and heads. (basically just smoothing the roughness out of the ports)
I'm going with a stage 1 cam and still undecided on rockers. I had thought about staggering them like you but didn't know the benefits.

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
Exactly , when I run it in may again I'll be sure to post slips

OP
OP
the5.ohh

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
Yea it it works well. If ur dad insists on the hci route you can either go the cheaper route we discussed or piece together your own kit with some better heads , prolly cost you around 800 or something for a nice used set

Thats good. Yeah he's not too fond of forced induction so hci it is for me. I'll be looking for AFR's or even edlebrocks if they come up. thanks man

RichV

Reaction score
Agreed, there are a lot of better choices than GT40 gear, but the stupid E7s shouldn't even be on top of a pushrod.

I think the fact that the OP has a new HCI thread like every week tells me he's prolly broke, but realistically to make 300 at the wheels you don't need a ton of parts or money. Shoot, you could get lucky and do it for under $500. Or you could spend $2500 on a top end kit.

So the moral is, if you have the coin, knock yourself out. Spend a bunch and build it. But if you're on a budget like everyone here, you want to spend wisely.

300HP is the same whether you have GT40 gear, or something else. But is 300 'all you will ever want?', that's when you may need to open your wallet or you'll be doing it over again.

OP
OP
the5.ohh

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
Agreed, there are a lot of better choices than GT40 gear, but the stupid E7s shouldn't even be on top of a pushrod.

I think the fact that the OP has a new HCI thread like every week tells me he's prolly broke, but realistically to make 300 at the wheels you don't need a ton of parts or money. Shoot, you could get lucky and do it for under $500. Or you could spend $2500 on a top end kit.

So the moral is, if you have the coin, knock yourself out. Spend a bunch and build it. But if you're on a budget like everyone here, you want to spend wisely.

300HP is the same whether you have GT40 gear, or something else. But is 300 'all you will ever want?', that's when you may need to open your wallet or you'll be doing it over again.

Yeah I'm looking around a lot and seeing whats best for me. I am broke, 18 and college plus mustang so yeah lol. But I'm saving now towards doing the HCI. I'm really not looking to buy used heads or spend 2k on them. Its a budget build. Out of this car I think 300hp will be fine for a long time, and if not than I can see what I'd like to do. But right now I'm not looking for huge power, just want a nice 100hp gain over stock. I definitely want to spend wisely, thats why I want to do the Gt40 route. I can get the intake for probably under 200, new heads around 5-600, tfs 1 cam around 200. If i can keep it under 2k i'll be really happy.

95opal

Reaction score
thats why I want to do the Gt40 route. I can get the intake for probably under 200, new heads around 5-600, tfs 1 cam around 200. If i can keep it under 2k i'll be really happy.

I wouldn't waist 5-600 on a gt40 head...don't pay more than $350...
Don't forget unless someone upgraded the valve spring youll need to buy the springs and install them or pay someone to go through the heads for you...which is a smart move with any used head.
If you search corral you can scoop up a set of tfs or afrs for what your going to dump into a set of 40's. or close to it.

If 300hp is your goal buy a used nitrous kit and be done for under $400

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
You can get Windsor jr's new for just over 600 new and they will blow them outta the water . My new combo is afr head equipped but won't be ready for a year or two , fuel system upgrades etc .

Nice [MENTION=9659]95opal[/MENTION] another nitrous lover like myself .... Wes both boosted and nitroused up this year .

OP
OP
the5.ohh

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
Just talked to my dad again about what I should do. Gonna just bite the bullet and do Trickflow twisted wedge heads, edelbrock performer efi upper and lower, tfs 1 cam.

1bad9d5

Reaction score
lemme know how it goes with the TF setup man!... when are you thinking about doing it? in the same debate myself about intake/heads as you know.. wouldn't be a bad thing to have more low rpm power when im driving
after you do your car, definitely wanna see how it looks and works out

1bad9d5

Reaction score
gonna be a completely different car afterwards especially with the 4.10s... track day is gonna be fun as hell

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online