Want to put a factory stereo back in my SN95 - does it look like dash has been hacked up or should I be able to put a factory stereo back in?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
adding steering wheel controls to aftermarket radios was just becoming popular when I graduated tech school and quit installing full time. There was an add-on piece that you could put on and then program that used resistance so you could keep the controls for your aftermarket radio as long as it had wireless controls.

PNW Mike

Reaction score
Bummer that the Mustang never got the steering wheel buttons. I run an aftermarket stereo and there are adaptors available to convert from hardwired factory controls to a modern setup for steering wheel audio controls; IIRC, some Japense cars used similar setups in the '90's. The issue is getting a steering wheel and clockspring (and possibly column) that could be made to work for an SN95. You had my hopes up for a bit there, but oh well. :)

The two wire audio control setups generally use different resistances per button, same as the Ford cruise control buttons for older stuff, not sure when that started or ended, though. I know Pioneer decks have a hardwired control that works this via resistance between two wires, and other aftermarket decks likely do as - hardwired remotes were common for a while, and I've heard they are popular for boats so the deck stays hidden away and dry. Other makes of cars did something similar for early steering wheel audio controls, though not on the horn circuit like Ford did for the cruise control, that was...creative... and ended up not always working as well as desired. My '86 F250 used this setup for the cruise, and making it work is... fussy. As stuff ages, the resistances tend to creep out of spec, and it doesn't always want to work unless you mash the butons and hold them down. Before clocksprings it was better than nothing, but having dedicated wires per button, or a canbus connection to all of the buttons on on the wheel, is so much better.

I've often pondered trying to retrofit a clocksping from a later model, or finding one that was "close enough" to work, but specs are hard to find, so it would be trial and error, and messing with the airbag gets dodgy real quick, as I don't want to disable the airbag if I can avoid it.

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
The resistances are usually published in the EVTM's. The cruise control resistance values are there, so i would hope the steering wheel controls would be there as well.

I have a lot of these radios for parts and can remember buying a few that had harnesses plugged into the remote control spot. Trying to go back and remember what vehicles those were now. Explorer maybe? It would definitely be circa 1993-1998 time period as that's what I target due to 'internal" compatibility between the head units. I might dig around a bit here and see if I can find a appropriate vehicle and at least see what the controls look like and what they do.

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
Went down the rabbit hole with this doing some searching as to what the remote control would have been used on.

95-98 Ford Windstar used this head unit with rear audio controls.
92-95 Taurus also used remote controls but not steering wheel mounted.

This is where they mount in the Taurus circled in red. You can see the stock SHO radio is a head unit and slave cd setup very similar to the 94-00 Mustang Mach setup. Why Ford put controls here? No clue.

1694711017936.png

This is what they look like. Part number F2DZ-19A181-A
1694710752516.png

Thing is, they are 7-pin plugs, so would need to grab a wiring diagram from an 92-95 taurus to see how it's configured. I'm assuming based on that plug that you can do volume, cycle the radio presets, and command the FM tuner to skip to other stations.

The Windstar rear controls look like this.

1694711123238.png

I might poke around a bit more on this. Those taurus controls are rather cheap on ebay, so maybe i'll grab one to play with.

Last edited:

PNW Mike

Reaction score
Interesting, thank you! I had never thought of the rear controls use case for the two wire controls input, but that makes total sense.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
God I forgot about the windstar stuff. That little panel made a simple radio install into one hell of a job if I remember correctly.

The lincolns mark 8's probably used the steering wheel controls.

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
The 93-94 Mark 8 was the first vehicle I checked as I had the same assumption. I even owned a 1993 Mark 8.

But they have the same steering wheel design as the SN95 mustang and no buttons. 1995 went to the double din unit.

But the Mark 8's had a 10-disk CD changer based on the Sony CDX-A30 that would work with the Mustangs premium head unit. If anyone wanted a functional CD changer with your OE radio, that would be the way to go. Unfortunately not easy to find these days. I made a video on the changer with part numbers. The video is foxbody specific but this unit would work on the 94-00 Sn95 head unit. That version cd changer starts at 13:00

CD changer for Ford single din premium head units

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeanfltns01

Members online