Went to the Track Last Night; Kinda Disappointed

OP
OP
S

sneaky98gt

Reaction score
97 king cobra said:
What if you launch at 5,500? lol jfwy

Considering how flexible the stock SN-95 chassis is, and if the tires held, and nothing broke, it might would lift the front left tire off the ground. lol. Just kidding, but it would be one hell of a ride. Would knock a sizeable chunk of time off my ETs as well.

dklimek

Reaction score
Idk how I missed this! 'Nam is actually a GREAT track! Alot of new best set there and the rock. I took my car with the SCTxcal2 (mods in sig) and ran a best of a 13.4@104 on an 2.0 60'. Caleb @ fastlane also tuned my car....it seems like it needs some timing pulled out of it (conservative tune). It's kind of sluggish up until the 3k range where it pulls, it was also 96 degrees outside. I too have a stock auto and rear gear (though I think mine is a 3.08) but my run was on 17" cobra r's and 275/35/17 street tires and my KYB's set as hard as possible up front, and no front sway...but I had the rears set softest on one side and hardest on the other on accident (didn't realize until I got home!). I want to hit it again with some slicks, some more messing with the tuning, new plugs, and the passenger seat pulled with MAYBE open x-pipe if it's not too much of a pain. I'd really like to see a 12 before I leave, since I'm moving to NY and there is no track around.

We should try and go together.

Are you on horsepowerjunkies? If not you should join up, it's a pretty big local site.

OP
OP
S

sneaky98gt

Reaction score
dklimek said:
Idk how I missed this! 'Nam is actually a GREAT track! Alot of new best set there and the rock. I took my car with the SCTxcal2 (mods in sig) and ran a best of a 13.4@104 on an 2.0 60'. Caleb @ fastlane also tuned my car....it seems like it needs some timing pulled out of it (conservative tune). It's kind of sluggish up until the 3k range where it pulls, it was also 96 degrees outside. I too have a stock auto and rear gear (though I think mine is a 3.08) but my run was on 17" cobra r's and 275/35/17 street tires and my KYB's set as hard as possible up front, and no front sway...but I had the rears set softest on one side and hardest on the other on accident (didn't realize until I got home!). I want to hit it again with some slicks, some more messing with the tuning, new plugs, and the passenger seat pulled with MAYBE open x-pipe if it's not too much of a pain. I'd really like to see a 12 before I leave, since I'm moving to NY and there is no track around.

We should try and go together.

Are you on horsepowerjunkies? If not you should join up, it's a pretty big local site.

Hey man! Sorry I missed this. I have been so busy the last month or so; I don't think I've been on sn95forums since this thread.

Yea, I've been told by lots of people that Fayettenam is a good track. I've got an account on HPJ of the same name as here, and I occasionally lurk around, but I rarely post. I know that all of those guys really like that track. I don't doubt that, but SOMETHING was wrong that night for sure, and I'm about to explain why.

I went to Rockingham yesterday. The DA was about 500 feet less than my trip to Fayetteville, and I had about 50 more pounds out of my car yesterday. So that accounts for roughly .1 seconds and 1 mph in the 1/4 mile. Everything else yesterday was IDENTICAL, right down to the air pressure in the tires.

I ran a 12.65 @ 108.15 mph with a 1.84 60' yesterday. Yes, you heard that right. And it wasn't a fluke. I backed it up with a 12.66 @ 107.88 mph with a 1.83 60'. I had a whole slew of 12.7 time slips. All this is with only a 500 feet DA and a track that really wasn't prepped very well. It's got 12.5s, maybe even 12.4s left in it with good weather and track prep.

So when the weight and weather accounted for, I ran (on average) over half a second faster and 3-4 mph faster at Rockingham with the IDENTICAL configuration I ran at Fayetteville. My 60's were also WAY better; 1.85 was the average yesterday, versus 2.02ish at Fayetteville. Was the same type of launch yesterday (brake stand, floor gas off the line) except I could only get it to 1750ish rpm yesterday, versus 2000ish at Fayetteville.

I don't really know how to explain half a second and 4 mph other than something being off at the track. And considering that Rockingham is IHRA certified, I think it's safe to assume their track and timing system is accurate. Another guy in the club had VERY similar results as I did between the two tracks on the same days. He has a full bolt on, geared, cammed, weight reduction 01 Bullitt. He ran a best of 12.98 at about 106 (IIRC) at Fayetteville on the same night I did; in the IDENTICAL trim, he ran 12.59 @ 110 yesterday at Rockingham with wheel spin. 4 tenths and 4 mph. I don't know how to explain it, and maybe Fayettevillle is normally right on the money, but something was wrong that night.

Anyway, I had a great time yesterday and am ridiculously happy with my times right now. My best 2 time slips (right lane in both):

And the link to my thread about these recent track times: http://sn95forums.com/index.php/topic,57731.0.html

OP
OP
S

sneaky98gt

Reaction score
Gearhead559 said:
those 2.0 60 foots are killing you. get some suspension on that thing

Suspension doesn't have anything to do with it. The stock stall and stock 3.27 gears do.

And read the last post; I cut low-mid 1.8s this past weekend with the identical setup.

OP
OP
S

sneaky98gt

Reaction score
Venom351R said:
Have you done anything w/ the suspension yet?

No, it's all stock.

I wonder what's the best 60' someone has cut with a stock stall, stock gear, stock suspension 4R70W GT? I've always heard 1.90 was pretty dang good for all an stock drivetrain. I cut a 1.83, and honestly, I think it has more in it.

Venom351R

Legend
Reaction score
yeah you might be able to get it lower depending on track prep and what tires you are using. Or you could just say screw it and get some suspension like I have and cut mid 1.6's lol

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
T's Convertible

Members online