What length battery cable.

Twista

Legend
Reaction score
Replacing the fat (+) wire that goes from the battery to the starter. Does anyone know what length i need and would autozone/advanced auto.. etc have the correct length i need. I really don't wanna take it off then bring the old to the autostore. I kind of like the idea of leaving the old on there while i route the new one so i dont screw anything up :laughing5:

OP
OP
T

Twista

Legend
Reaction score
I brought the longest cable the autostore had. Since its universal i have ONE issue. The mustang has 2 (+) cables that run from the + battery. One goes to the starter and the other goes to the fuse box. So im assuming i have to cut the terminal off this new cable and install a crappy clamp terminal just to get both wire ends onto 1 terminal?

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
I brought the longest cable the autostore had. Since its universal i have ONE issue. The mustang has 2 (+) cables that run from the + battery. One goes to the starter and the other goes to the fuse box. So im assuming i have to cut the terminal off this new cable and install a crappy clamp terminal just to get both wire ends onto 1 terminal?

You could do that or order a set of these

PAPerformance Premium Battery Terminal - Positive (79-04 All)

All held down with set screws. I have a set of these, they are very good pieces.

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score

If you find out the length, please be sure to post it, I'd like to know. Thanks!

OP
OP
T

Twista

Legend
Reaction score
If you find out the length, please be sure to post it, I'd like to know. Thanks!

I brought the longest 70 something inches. I couldn't find anything online.. one site said 50 inches.. but it was a forum maybe for fox bodies or something. Im not sure. Ill let you know how the longest fits on my car.

Also anyone have any idea on adding the under hood fuse box connection back to the positive without chopping off the new terminal???

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I brought the longest 70 something inches. I couldn't find anything online.. one site said 50 inches.. but it was a forum maybe for fox bodies or something. Im not sure. Ill let you know how the longest fits on my car.

Also anyone have any idea on adding the under hood fuse box connection back to the positive without chopping off the new terminal???

Thanks.

As for the terminal, if you want to keep the one that came with the cable, then you could find a eyelet of the proper size, crimp or solder it on to the fuse panel wire, and then attach that eyelet to the bolt that tightens the terminal on the stud. If you do that, however, put the eyelet on the bolt side, not the nut side, so you don't have to remove it each time you loosen the terminal.

OP
OP
T

Twista

Legend
Reaction score
edit: DAMN IT! I couldve just brought this- http://www.paperformance.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=244

Thanks.

As for the terminal, if you want to keep the one that came with the cable, then you could find a eyelet of the proper size, crimp or solder it on to the fuse panel wire, and then attach that eyelet to the bolt that tightens the terminal on the stud. If you do that, however, put the eyelet on the bolt side, not the nut side, so you don't have to remove it each time you loosen the terminal.

That sucks. Just seems to defeat the purpose of a new cable if i have cut the end off lol. Im going to order up a PA performance terminal like suggested above and do this:
24719_800px.jpg

thanks guys

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
That sucks. Just seems to defeat the purpose of a new cable if i have cut the end off lol. Im going to order up a PA performance terminal like suggested above and do this:
24719_800px.jpg

thanks guys

That works well. There are also ones made by audio companies like Rockford Fosgate that work the same way, but have the added bonus of being covered (not an exposed positive terminal). Like this:

rfdb1_med.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
5pointSL0

Members online