What makes a good street clutch?

shovel

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to replace the clutch in my 96 3.8 (noisy throwout bearing, but I might as well do the clutch while it's apart)

This is a road tripper, weekend car so what makes a good race clutch might not be what makes a good, long lasting and smooth street clutch. What am I looking for? Thanks for any constructive recommendations.

cobrajeff96

Reaction score
Single plate, organic friction material, sprung hub, with steel or iron flywheel, new fork, new pivot ball stud, new OEM style cable from Maximum Motorsports, firewall adjuster screw. Basically a stock replacement or stock refresh or whatever you want to call it.

GTamas

Reaction score
I read it somewhere earlier that the adjustable cables are no good, but why? What's wrong with them? I bought a Steeda kit with doublehook quadrant and firewall adjuster and an adjustable cable. I have yet to install them. What might go wrong?

cobrajeff96

Reaction score
The sheathing on the adjustable cables creates internal binding and the heat protection is lacking, and over time the stretching of the cable is probably worse than an OEM cable. At least that's what was well known for many years (maybe they got better in more recent years, but I can't be sure because all I ever bought when my car was on cable was MM variants, and now a days my car runs a full hydraulic setup). I bet you could actually run the adjustable cable if you sleeve it to shun the engine/exhaust heat away. But then the question is: why are there three separate adjustment areas when there really only needs to be two? The firewall screw and the quadrant adjustment is all that's needed. Being that the cable has a threaded end with a nut (and on a part that moves a lot during driving) that's just another potential concern to worry about. Just my opinion though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bs.austin.tx

Members online