What power should i expect.

94RedGt

Reaction score
I know this has prolly been asked a million times but i'm planning on modding my 5.0 a bit for more power, its going to be in a budget so im going with GT40 heads wich i will try my best at porting and cleaning the intake and exhaust ports for some extra flow, going to probably run an E or B303 cam and top it all off with a stock 94-95 Cobra intake or an explorer knockoff with a bit of porting done to the upper, a bigger throttle body and maf.

What power should a 5.0 develop with these mods ? Will i need to tune it to get it to run ? I have heard from friends that the stock computer will run this combination with just an adjustable FPR and bigger injectors to keep the air/fuel stable. I will tune it anyways to get the most out of it but i would like it to atleast run in the meantime to get me to work and back lol.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
well with the porting and the bigger cam that would gain you a few over the stock cobra but it will not be much more then that.

OP
OP

94RedGt

Reaction score
Im looking to get maybe around 260 to 290 rwhp, is that doable with that combo ? I dont see why not with the proper tune, remember im also going for a better breathing intake, even if i can fine one of the good intakes like Edel or trickflow then i would use one of those better.

Sludge805

Reaction score
From what it sounds like your going for a cobra engine basically? Which was around those hp numbers depending what other little things you have done

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
260whp? possible, 290 I have my doubts. as long as you don't change the injectors the car should run decent without a tune, you might have a little idle hunt from the cam but it should be driveable. tune will increase power output for sure.

Slykin

Reaction score
As far as I know your heads is your biggest bottleneck in the 5.0. An intake is fine, but only if it matches the heads. I agree with Onyx.

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
I made 267 rwhp with mild ported e7 heads a ghetto E cam, edelbrock air gap and a demon 650 carb and went 12.40 at 108 -110 a million times 4.30 gears FTW

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I don't see it hitting 300 a the wheels in any way, maybe at the crank but Idunno. STarting of with teh stock heads you are just kinda holding yourself back from teh beginning. You can only do so much to them.

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
Thats actually not true. There is a company in the states that ports E7's that out flow edelbrock performers

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I got my trickflows for a grand and to me the extra $100 for a newly made aluminum head is worth it to me.

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
Yea this could be true. But I'm willing to bet I've gone faster then most people with aluminum heads with next stock E7's . I've got trickflow twisted wedge 190's on my fox and love them, my car makes huge power and tourqe. But I know I'll have no problem making more then enough power with some gt40's and everyone with there big dollar heads cam intake cars will still more then likely run slower.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
sure you can make good number out of them, but when your only a $100 cheaper then mine I guess I do not count as the high doller al heads?

See my problem like I have problems installing used heads and just swore to myself I would never do that again. Since I am never selling my momstang I am not saying I am completely aginst used parts as I have a set of caster/camber plates that I bought used and am waiting to put on but I don't see those doing much damage uneless they are not alighted correctly. I like to weigh my options before I go new/used and ask myself "what is the penalty for failure, what is the worst case scenario?" With those two questions in mind when it comes down to deciding new/used I find myself getting new more often then not when it is an important $$$ part of the motor.

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
Yes I understand where ur coming from. I don't run powerhead heads. But my trickflows were a pretty penny which is fine by me cus they are great. But like everyone has said by the time you get a stock head ported and shit you could have a nice set of aluminums. The edelbrock E street 190 heads are cheap and flow great I put a combo together with them and the cheapo pro products manifold with a comp 274hr cam and put down well over 300rwhp you can get e streets for around 890 taxes in. Which is cheap IMO

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
my only other problem with it is that you just don't know where that head as been or how it was ran, or that has happened to it. It might have been fresh off the car with only 5k miles on it that thing could have had the crap beat out of it. I have no idea what their standards are for taking stock heads back in and I just know that if I got them I would get teh pos that was under water and all f'd up, but it flows well!

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
The heads I was just talking about are brand new

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
The one you posted the link to earlier? The one that advertices that you need to give him your old heads or its $200 more? I am not sure how you think latemodel 302 stock heads are new. Those are reconditioned but certainly no new.

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
I was talking about E Streets. Powerheads hot tank the heads x ray them make sure there's no leaks they have been re decked and everything all new seals valve springs etc so in reality it doesn't matter what kind of life they had . All the fears with a used aluminum head are alot different then a completely rebuilt cast iron head

OP
OP

94RedGt

Reaction score
Well if i could afford getting brand new heads i would but i cant so i decided on GT40 castings since so many people run them and with the right combo appear to make the power i want, im not hoping to turn my car into an undrivable track beast but more of a fun street car that i can drive daily. And ofc i would tune it but it would be great if the car can atleast run to get me back and forth to work.

Also after looking at the Corral forum for similar threads i found one were people running gt40 combos are making 270 - 290 rwhp give or take . I know the risk of getting used heads but for 250 bucks i dont see how it could be a bad deal, some home porting should help.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online

No members online now.