What Should I Do With $5000

Grnstang

Reaction score
Didn't mean to get a rise out of anyone here, but I'm just basing my opinion on many stories I've heard and also the fact that I would not want to spend a few thousand on a blower and then several thousand later because I had it tuned wrong, or ran it too hard. I guess if your not going to beat the crap out of it, then stock/blown would probably be fine. I'm just saying if you had a forged motor it would be nice to know your really going to have to try to blow it up and it would probably open the door to much more power if you so choose to do so later. I'm not stating a fact, I'm just offering my opinion.

Jrgunn5150

Post Whore
Reaction score
Grnstang said:
I'm just saying if you had a forged motor it would be nice to know your really going to have to try to blow it up and it would probably open the door to much more power if you so choose to do so later. I'm not stating a fact, I'm just offering my opinion.

no rise dude, just making my viewpoint on the subject clear.

As to what I quoted, I suspect this is the main reason forged motors let go sooner. People are more apt to get stupid with them.

Grnstang

Reaction score
Yeah I guess I see your point there...A buddy of mine has an all forged 5.0 sn95 and he's allways tryin to push it to the limits. I guess he has the money to mess around with though, so why not. I was debating on building my own engine over a couple of years to save, but I'm not sure what kind of set-up I really want to go with. I've also heard good stuff about hypereutectic pistons too and they would probably save me a good sum of money over forged, but I'm really not sure. Just throwin ideas around right now. Of course, if I do this project, I'm still gonna go with a set of forged rods though.

Bluesn95

Reaction score
Our cars stock come with hypereutectic pistons. Also, they're not much cheaper. They're really good pistons for a N/A application but not for spray or boost.

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
5K and you want to keep it, and it's NPI.

Okay, I'd recommend this:
NPI blower cams
Vortec supercharger
Tune
Springs and LCA's

more power for your price range, and put it to better use, as well as lower the car so it looks and drives better.

OP
OP

97woodward

Reaction score
I recently put MM CC plates, MM RLCA's, and the Bullitt Suspension kit on. It lowered the car about an inch.

I already have PI Cams and the Livernois PI Intake Manifold Kit. I can return my PI cams any time I want before I install them. Would it be a better route to get NPI Cams? I plan to eventually get my NPI Heads Ported but after I get my blower.

Is there any benefit to going with NPI cams over PI?

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
yes, going with a blower specific cam, and of course the blower would be better.

Good choice on the LCA's :)

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Ya know, it's been a while since I looked, I just checked MPH and Livernois

Here's the catalog from Crower, the stage 2 cam is supercharger profile.
they make great cams.
http://www.crower.com/misc/m_cat.shtml

Anyone else know where to get a set of NPI blower cams? Cmon DroptopPony! (he knows, I'm sure)

Steven

Legend
Reaction score
aluminum driveshaft
panhard bar
full length sfc's
supercharger
supporting fuel upgrades and ignition for the blower
cams/heads/intake

Jrgunn5150

Post Whore
Reaction score
You gave it, lol. The Crower stage II SC is the best off the shelf NPI blower cam out there, but IMO, for the price of cams, springs, and install labor, PI cams are a pretty sweet deal

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
shiznit, I misread you and thought you were saying they arn't the best...
My bad!

Carry on!

realitygt

Legend
Reaction score
kind of wondering for him and me, but if he would put pi heads and cams on his car and slap a blower on top would that be too high of compression for a blower? and what would be the max boost you guys would say to run on the stock lower end?

OP
OP

97woodward

Reaction score
So is the difference between PI cams and Crower Stage II Blower Cams worth $650? what do you think the RWHP difference would be between the crowers and the PI cams?

I am paying for the installation of both my PI Cams and Intake manifold kit , so I want to do this right the first time.

Fets

Post Whore
Reaction score
Idk...that one guy on here has a blower and he was going to get custom blower cams but he went with pi cams because it gave him more power over the blower cam.

Jrgunn5150

Post Whore
Reaction score
sʇǝɟ said:
Idk...that one guy on here has a blower and he was going to get custom blower cams but he went with pi cams because it gave him more power over the blower cam.

No, he got PI cams because he wasn't going to swap springs, so the best he could gain was 10-15 rwhp over PI cams.

IF you swap spring's, the gains are more like 40-50. I have no idea what that's worth to you.

Fets

Post Whore
Reaction score
Oops my bad. How hard or why wouldn't someone change springs aswell?

Jrgunn5150

Post Whore
Reaction score
It takes a special tool to change springs, or another 2-3 hundred bucks in labor. On top of what they cost in the first place.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peasant99

Members online

No members online now.