What should I look to pay for wax and buff by a good body shop?

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
To wash, clay, wetsand, compound with M105, then M205, then scratch/swirl remover, then wax, then sealer... Ugh you're looking at at least 20 hours to do it correctly. Just thinking about it makes my head start ringing from the sound of the Porter Cable lol

haha. I've never done a detail to that extent. I gotta try that out on my car, get the hang of it then weezel people into me doing it haha.

slow90coupe

Reaction score
I wouldn't try it on something like your car man. You'll sand through the clear. I came very close to doing this when I took my wing off and was getting rid of the ring it left. I'd only wetsand on fresh paint or a newer car with plenty of paint left.

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
Man I think it's becoming clear that I've been undercharging. Like said it is a lot of work and takes a good amount of time, even a small car.

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
For friends on the weekends I only charge like $20 an hour. People I don't know, $75.

OP
OP
Photonfanatic

Photonfanatic

Reaction score
Guess I don't know enough about this process. What exactly do you mean by a full "correction"? I never thought they wet sanded on a car that they were not painting. Also my color is opal frost.

whiplash473

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Unless the car has been painted and has a ton of orange peel there is no reason to wet sand..there's nothing that the right compounds can't fix

EDIT: full correction being a multi step process and usually goes something like:

-Wash vehicle
-Hit vehicle with quick detailer
-Start with high cut compound with either wool or foam pad
-Then a slightly lighter cut
-if needed then hit with a slightly lighter cut
-polish
-hand glaze/wax depending on vehicle/customer/$quote

Sent from bored/stroked iPhone

OP
OP
Photonfanatic

Photonfanatic

Reaction score
Unless the car has been painted and has a ton of orange peel there is no reason to wet sand..there's nothing that the right compounds can't fix

EDIT: full correction being a multi step process and usually goes something like:

-Wash vehicle
-Hit vehicle with quick detailer <--What is this?
-Start with high cut compound with either wool or foam pad
-Then a slightly lighter cut
-if needed then hit with a slightly lighter cut
-polish
-hand glaze/wax depending on vehicle/customer/$quote.

So for everything you listed off, a reasonable price is $200?

slow90coupe

Reaction score
honestly since the car is silver, I'd detail it for $125. It wouldn't take very long to get it looking as good as it's going to look.

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
Yeah slow90s right. Now if it was a black car, that'd be a nightmare and probably a minimum of 200 bones. Onyx me and you both dude, I feel like I've been giving almost free details lmao

OP
OP
Photonfanatic

Photonfanatic

Reaction score
Dang. Just had to spend a bunch of money on my house. Wife decided to yank down kitchen wallpaper and spray texture. Guess I will be doing this myself. Is there a good youtube vid on the entire process? I find that I learn the best by watching someone else first.

I mean I know there is a metric shit ton of vids out there on the subject, but you guys seem to know what you're talking about, so I'm asking if there might be a vid you know of, that you would recommend.

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
What color is the car? I charge $200 for a full paint correction and full detail inside and out. That's considered cheap to most people, so keep that in mind.

Do you travel? haha. Both cars could use a nice polish and wax, no time :(