How fast should the convertible top go up/down?

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
Going through my new (to me) 2000 GT trying to sort everything out and get it 100%. The convertible top functions fine, but it seems rather slow.

I've topped off the fluid/bled a few times now and no significant change. Pretty confident I don't see any bubbles in the line, and the fluid is nice and clean (i think it was replaced recently in the past).

I've watched some youtube vids of cars operating the top and it seems then can go from open to close rather quickly. Mine opens faster than it closes. It seems like i can sit there and hold the button for 20-30 seconds and it just slowly makes it way up. I can time it later and gets some actual numbers.

But if i do determine it's slow, what should I be looking at next? Swap out the lift cylinders? Or the motor?

Barry Oiler

Reaction score
i had the same problem with my 2004. I had recently changed out the pump and cylinders. The top operated fine for awhile but started operating really slow. Checked fluid and for air and OK. Later had the alternator fail. After replacement of the alternator the top operated at normal speed.

OP
OP
M

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
I'll keep that in mind, but one of the first things i had to address with this car was the charging system as I bought it with the typical Mach 460 convertible water short issue. Had a power drain. Replaced the amps and battery and tested the alt and all seems ok now with the charging system. Just went on a 1.5 week vacation and the car sat and cranked over fine when I returned.

But i'll put my DMM on the battery and see if i'm getting significant voltage drop or current flow when the top operates.

OP
OP
M

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
Timed it this afternoon.

10 seconds to open

16 seconds to close

OP
OP
M

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
Surfed YouTube tonight looking at for sale videos of low mileage SN95 convertibles and timed the top operation.

Pretty consistent.

~6 seconds to open
~8 seconds to close

maillemaker

Reaction score
OK I counted in my head yesterday and it's more like 10 seconds for mine.

OP
OP
M

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
Best vid showing open and close. Approx 6 seconds to open and 8-9 to close.

Mine is way off this, so need to pick if I should try cylinders or motor… hmmm.

GTamas

Reaction score
My '94 does it in:
~8 seconds to open
~11 seconds to close
I don't remember it ever being faster. It is stock everything, pump and oil, it was never serviced in the past 29 years.

OP
OP
M

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
Mine is definitely much slower than that, especially when closing. Almost seems like it struggles to get to max height, and then speeds up as the weight of the top starts pulling it down to the windshield. It's noticably sluggish until it peaks. The video above looks much more consistent.

Over the winter i'll pull the 1/4 panels and inspect the cylinder and make a decision as to if i'll try the cylinders or motor. I may try one more top off/bleed again just to be sure.

OP
OP
M

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
I’ve always done it that way as well.

Checked charging system, and did one more top-off/bleed. No difference. Slow to close.

This winter I’ll try either cylinders or motor or both.

OP
OP
M

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
This winter I’ll try either cylinders or motor or both.

SO it's the winter "storage" season. Cleaning the car up and going through the interior i put the top up partially. It was mostly verticle. I just needed a little headroom and intended to put it back closed.

Over the course of an hour or so, the top "bled" down and self-folded itself from it's vertical position. Both sides bled down evenly.

Given that, is that normal behavior? Or does that point to an issue with the motor? I doubt both cylinders leak evenly but who knows.

Going to replace either the motor or cyinders but just trying ot decide which to do first. Ideally all three but i don't want to throw parts at this issue

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suprasuavy

Members online