What to do? Breaking T5 in '98 roadracing

24hrlemons

Reaction score
In two of last three races our mustang has broken its 5 speed. We had the transmission repaired by a local shop who has been in business many years when 2nd gear went out, he repaired the problem and made some upgrades, but not enough however, as two road races later 3rd gear went out in a noisy banging sort of way. Very ugly noises. We are only running a stock v6! its a endurance racing thing.

I can get another T5 on ebay, but with those pressed on gear collars or whatever they're called, I think we'd break again. I don't think the roller vs tapered bearings are making a difference (as per mech that is one diff between v8 and v6t versions) but the gears mech. is weak on these v6 transmissions.

What should look for in a rebuilt T5?

OP
OP

24hrlemons

Reaction score
Thanks for input.

A guy on the team found this kit which seems promising. Remember we only have a v6, so don't have monster power. :crybaby2:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FMS-M-7000-A/

The G-force looks good but is a lot of cash and designed for high horsepower..... any input on the ford kit? :eek:ccasion14:

S

IceMan

Reaction score
You can get an older TKO or a 3550 for $500-$700. Don't mess with T5s. Just look up on most of the boards. They are there.

OP
OP

24hrlemons

Reaction score
I saw this on the internet so it must be true.... so am I reading this right, the v6 shaft will fit in a v8 gearbox?

I will look for TKO, but T5's are everywhere.

TIA Scott

OP
OP

24hrlemons

Reaction score
oops forgot to paste
-----------------------

http://www.moderndriveline.com/Technical_Bits/t5_history.htm

1994 and 95 were the last two years Ford used the T-5 behind a V-8. With the introduction of the SN95 Mustangs, the bell housings in both 3.8L and 5.0L were made deeper to place the T-5 shifter in the correct location to the body. This in turn made the input shaft longer. The neutral safety switch was eliminated, as it was no longer needed. The GT 5.0L Mustangs received the standard input shaft bearing and aluminum bearing retainer, where the Cobras continued with the tapered or "cupped bearing" input shaft and steel front bearing retainer. Torque ratings for both remained the same as the 93 T-5 models. 4 cylinder T-5s were no longer needed when the 3.8L V6 motor came along and was replaced with 3.35 first gear ratio and a .68od. The only difference between the 3.8L and standard 5.0L T-5 was the input shaft length. Changing input shaft of the 3.8L T-5 with 93 input shaft, will result in a 93 and early spec T-5. Everything else remained the same.

Today's V-6 Mustangs sports the last of the T-5s. The T-5 behind the 3.8L is a 3.35 first gear set with a .68 over drive. What makes these different from the rest is the electronic speedometer trigger. No longer is there a mechanical driven cable system. It has the longer input shaft equipped with a steel front bearing retainer and reverse synchro brake assembly. Torque rating is 300ft/lbs.

blackpony

Reaction score
get a t-5 outta v-8 car and it will bolt right in with no mods... they are a little stronger also... i broke 2 in my old 97 v-6 car and all it had was cai and cat back...