what to do with rusted bolts and oil filter

Enzob007

Reaction score
So I tried removing the oil plug thing and the oil filter, and they are both super rusted to the point that I couldn't get either of them off with some wd40 and a ratchet. Do i just go for it with a breaker bar? or am I better of taking it to a mechanic and getting my oil changed there for 30 bucks and letting them deal with it? I don't want to break anything. and how do i get the filter off? i put a ton of force on it with a oil filter wrench and it is rusted stuck? this is on the 95 gt that has been sitting for 5 years. Here's a couple of pics.
https://gyazo.com/4ef459e203db48997b04fd1637b678c9
https://gyazo.com/4ecf7b76dff01ac6577838c5b278017a

BigBore96

Reaction score
I wouldnt take it to a shop. God knows what theyll do/hide dealing with it.

Try some penetrating lube, let it sit, and hit it with some heat.

You may also try a nice hit or two with a hammer. Should help break them loose. Just dont hit hard enough to damage the pan.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
as he said your options for rusted bolts is oil, heat, or get a little violent with it and I would go at it in that order.

OP
OP
E

Enzob007

Reaction score
how should i heat it? and what about the oil filter

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
how should i heat it? and what about the oil filter

Map gas torch is yourfriend when it comes to heating seized bolts and such.

Show us a pic of the oil filter wrench your using. There’s different kinds and senate better than others.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I just had to pull a filter off using a giant set of channel lock pliers because I could not get it to budge. It's messy, but if you latch on with the hand of God, something is going to give.

07GtS197

Reaction score
I was actually about to suggest channel locks too. And if it comes down to it and you have room stab the oil filter all the way through with the longest screwdriver you can find and you the handle for more leverage to crank it off. A swift kick or two with lots of swearing has always helped me too lol.

Ive never used heat myself but I do know it works well, whenever I have a stuck bolt I grab my 30 inch breaker bar and let her rip. You should be ok if you need to use one.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
One thing to note, be sure to NOT use a 12point socket. Guaranteed to round a rusty bolt!

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

OP
OP
E

Enzob007

Reaction score
I tried channel locks and that didn’t work either. I guess I’ll just go for the screwdriver and the breaker bar and pray that I don’t break anything

98snakehorse

Reaction score
It’s like that. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Swivel-H...75035&wl11=online&wl12=15781838&wl13=&veh=sem

also I’m pretty scared of using heat I’m trying to leave it as a last resort cause this is the first time I’ve done this and I don’t want to blow anything up

Haha I promise you wont blow anything up. Just dont put the torch directly on a gas line or anything you will be fine. That filter wrench looks like a good one. I would try putting something on the end of that filter wrench to use as extra leverage to break it free. Worse case scenario you buy a new oil filter adapter and call it a day -

Part# [FONT=&amp]M6880A50[/FONT]

OP
OP
E

Enzob007

Reaction score
I’m thinking about putting the wrench on and whacking it with a hammer. If that doesn’t work then I guess I’ll try heat

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Putting the hammer to it could break the head off the plug then your screwed. Try the heat. It’s not as bad as your thinking it is.

I don’t ever use the style of oil filter wrench your using. They slip easily. They make one that looks like slip joint pliers but are specially for oil filters. They have rigid teeth that bite into the filter.
Try stabbing it with a large flat head screw driver and if you can’t make that work get you a set of the pliers I’m talking about.

BigBore96

Reaction score
Dont be afraid to tap it with a hammer pretty good either. Itl help break apart any this rust holding it tight.

Screwdriver method does definitely work its just messy

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
yea don't be afraid to let the curse words flow with the anger you feel. There have been times I am sure my neighbors must think I am nuts going around cursing only to end it all with a small celebration dance that includes me flipping off my car, while cursing at some more it but it needs to realize I won....

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
yea don't be afraid to let the curse words flow with the anger you feel. There have been times I am sure my neighbors must think I am nuts going around cursing only to end it all with a small celebration dance that includes me flipping off my car, while cursing at some more it but it needs to realize I won....

Make it your bitch!!!!! [emoji23]

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Down right leg hump it! Make that car submit!

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
senior001

Members online