what would make me detonate or ping?

wildazme

Reaction score
ok, i have been having a problem for a lil while now and i have no idea why. when i gun the car at full throttle my car gets a pinging detonating sounds. i have just installed 4 new o2 sensors in the car to see if it would help but it hasnt. the fuel filter was changed not all that long ago. the current mods i have are in my signature. i get the pinging problem when i have an 87 octane tune on the car, the only time it stops is if i use 93 octane gas with the 87 octane tune. when i put the 91 octane tune on the car it pings even with 93 octane gas. i took the tune off completely and even stock the car pings unless i use 93 octane gas. any ideas?

Adam

Reaction score
Did you have the KN FIPK on when you got your car tuned or did you add it afterwards? I would run 93 octane if it solves the problem. Mail order or dyno tune? I am gonna bet mail order. You may have a bit too much timing on the 87,91 tunes. Don't let it detonate anymore, thats bad....real bad.

Adam ;)

LI98GT

Reaction score
Could also be carbon build up, but not sure of your mileage. Since you have a tune, I would start there - too much timing. In the mean time, definately go with higher octane gas and/or octane boost.

uncltrvlnmatt

Post Whore
Reaction score
most likely timing is to far advanced. Either run 93 octane or detune the car. Don't let the engine ping.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online

No members online now.