Whats more important to you Dyno / ET's ?

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
I havent seen a thread like this here so im asking now......whats more important to you, a good dyno sheet with big numbers or a fast ET? This is a heavy subject in the Lightning community since most owners are so fast to point out there numbers on the lastest roller spin and then there is always somebody who points out " if you havent got a time slip on it the dyno sheet means squat" ( yes ive seen that exact post before numerous times )

Anyway what are your thoughts on the two? If you spend money on mods doesnt the dyno and power production mean a lot to you? Not just a fast ET? Lets say you put a grand in go fast goodies you did some weight reduction at the same time then went to the track and saw a .4 reduction in your ET how would you know if it came from additional power production or the new diet you put it on? You could easily assume your making more power when in fact you could have nothing over what you previoulsy had and just gained some et from cutting the dead weight.

To me I feel they are equaly important when your looking at performance improvements. You cant go off a dyno sheet alone or a time slip. Ive seen guys split on either side of the fence and be more focused on one or the other and some like me want to know where they stand on both sides for a more accurate picture of where their ride sets. So whats more important to you? Knowing how much power you have, or knowing your in a certain time class?

Brian95SVT

Legend
Reaction score
no thoughts or you just holding out on me.......? lol

Haha. I'm kind of 50/50 on the argument. It's nice to have big dyno numbers but if you can't get it to the ground and make a respectable pass then it is just big numbers. I agree with what you said. I think they are equally important. I am more interested in seeing something with a better ET then seeing something make ungodly amount of power and unable to use it. Seems like basically useless power if you can't get traction.

2v_takeover

Reaction score
I personally like the feeling of getting the lowest ET' with the lowest amount of power. People around here don't understand that you need to be able to drive well, not just show me the vehicle pamphlet.

the.greg

Reaction score
I agree both are important, but it really depends most on the driver's goals. If it is a track car, or if you go to the track alot I'd say low Et's, but if it is a daily driver, maybe dyno sheets are more important. My car is a daily driver, as I commute to college full-time and work too so I'm afraid to put slicks on it and launch it hard regularly at the track (dont want to have to replace rear or trans), but I am very concerned with overall driveability and dyno numbers. I also live 2 hours from the nearest 1/4 mile track so I dont have the opportunity to try to improve my Et's as much as I would like. For example my car has the hp potential for low 12's easy, but I know with my street tires, mostly stock suspension, and lack of track practice Id feel great to hit a high 12.
Great topic

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score
Dynos are tuning tools...dyno numbers are pointless to me other than the ability to gauge gains from a given part.

I go 100% off track times cause thats really all that matters...isnt that the whole point of improving your hp, to go faster?

I dont care if you make 900 hp on the dyno if you cant show me a timeslip better than 12 seconds who cares.

Id rather have a car that runs 11.50s with 350 hp than one that runs 12.0s with 450 hp on the dyno.

vermilion

Legend
Reaction score
i see the dyno numbers to gauge where your time should be. then from there at the track you can tune your suspension to achieve where it going to be.

LilRoush

Reaction score
To me it depends on what you are doing.
Road course and drag strip (actual racing) - hp/dyno numbers mean nothing.

However, when I was building my V6 serveral years ago there was a big race to see who would be the first over 500 (then 600) rwhp in the V6. So at that point, the number mattered just to set the mark.

I agree a dyno is a tool to use. Know the breaking point of your motor and tune it within a usable limit. The number is really just a number.

Knuckles@Empire

-Never Forget-
Reaction score
ET period, as stated above dynos are used as a tuning tool. as for the claim that HP tells you were you should be in ET land, theres alot more to factor in that just raw HP. I think a good time slip indicates a well done car as well as a capable driver. My car could turn the dyno to the tune of 2 hp and if it cracked an 7.90 ill be happy as can be.

OP
OP
Lightning Struck

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
BTW, I know this is extremely off topic but I love your L.

thank you sir, your cobra looks sexy as well

Dynos are tuning tools...dyno numbers are pointless to me other than the ability to gauge gains from a given part.

I go 100% off track times cause thats really all that matters...isnt that the whole point of improving your hp, to go faster?

I dont care if you make 900 hp on the dyno if you cant show me a timeslip better than 12 seconds who cares.

Id rather have a car that runs 11.50s with 350 hp than one that runs 12.0s with 450 hp on the dyno.

Yes I agree dyno is a tuning tool, but with that said if we take that as a literal use only then why does everybody put their dyno numbers in their sig / car details ect....
Its no different than putting a et in there, and et is NOT a tuning tool.

forcefedhatch

Reaction score
I'm more concerned about the torque and the actual power curve at xx/rpm , and my actual 60ft numbers, the first 200 feet determine my runs being an auto, good torque down low, low 1.xx' 60's then I know I have seen the improvement if no further suspension mods have been made... Seat of pants method in a sense lol..

Sent from my iPhone

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score
thank you sir, your cobra looks sexy as well

Yes I agree dyno is a tuning tool, but with that said if we take that as a literal use only then why does everybody put their dyno numbers in their sig / car details ect....
Its no different than putting a et in there, and et is NOT a tuning tool.

I consider dyno numbers more of a guideline or estimate of power. they can be manipulated and all dynos read differently. ET is an exact measurement
Its cool to see power but lets be serious, there's a million other variables that determine how a car performs

Steve-Oh

Legend
Reaction score
Back when I was in Highschool it was allll about track times. That's all I heard about, "Steve with the 15 second Cobra." Unfortunately this was back when she was all screwed up and the car was running very poorly (mass air and incorrect chip). Regardless, I look at it from a horsepower perspective anymore because I guess I got so discouraged from my track days. "hey that car has 500 hp, must be fun to drive!" Don't get me wrong, when the car is all finished I will be taking it to the track but it'll be for my own personal enjoyment, not really one for flaunting numbers around. I just enjoy driving the car, and driving it FAST!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carolinastang78

Staff online

Members online