Whats more important to you Dyno / ET's ?

TURBO2000GT

Reaction score
I could care less about either one it's nice to have big dyno numbers and a good track pass but to me as long as I hook and beat that ass on the street I'm good lolol

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score
I could care less about either one it's nice to have big dyno numbers and a good track pass but to me as long as I hook and beat that ass on the street I'm good lolol

HP numbers really make up such a small picture of a cars performance...its kind of comical that its even used so commonly to gauge a cars performance.

I think 1/4 mile times, 60 foot, and trap speeds really take all the variables of your car and crunch them into a few numbers that really describe how well your car performs in straight line performance.

Raffaelli

Reaction score
Neither.

Nothing tells you how bad-ass a car is than an ungodly high trap speed. 150 mph+....

Peak dyno numbers cant tell what kind of car it drives like, (for example a 5-600 hp big block - in comparison to a 5-600 hp strung out honda 2.0L)

And trap times can be misleading too. Wheelspin can eat seconds easy.

Rice_slayer

Reaction score
Dynos are tuning tools...dyno numbers are pointless to me other than the ability to gauge gains from a given part.

I go 100% off track times cause thats really all that matters...isnt that the whole point of improving your hp, to go faster?

I dont care if you make 900 hp on the dyno if you cant show me a timeslip better than 12 seconds who cares.

Id rather have a car that runs 11.50s with 350 hp than one that runs 12.0s with 450 hp on the dyno.
This. Couldn't have said it any better myself. It's nice to see my little Mach 1 beat a brand new GT500 because I can drive and he just has too much money. I honestly have no idea what my RWHP is right now, the guy before me had it dyno'd at 298rwhp, but I had to erase that tune for inspection reasons so I could plate it. I never saw the dyno sheet either, so I have no idea what this car has, nor do I care. Right now, my ETs are my focus, I don't give 2 sh*ts what the dyno says, I just want the dyno runs to get the car tuned properly.

ogre

Reaction score
ET's hands down.

IMO, dyno numbers are good as tuning tools and impress people who don't know much about cars. My most hated stat is 0-60, to many variables to be at all helpfull.

ET & trap speed are the real world application of a person building and driving thier car.

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score
Neither.

Nothing tells you how bad-ass a car is than an ungodly high trap speed. 150 mph+....

Peak dyno numbers cant tell what kind of car it drives like, (for example a 5-600 hp big block - in comparison to a 5-600 hp strung out honda 2.0L)

And trap times can be misleading too. Wheelspin can eat seconds easy.

Some very good points but with that said, wheelspin is part of the equation and trap speeds alone can also be misleading. Wheel spin affects trap speed and a lot of these turbo cars with small engines like to pick up all their speed on the second half of the track.
Using trap speed, et, and 60 foot all together can really give you a good idea of whats going on.

Bottom line, ET tells you how fast your car can get from point A to point B and in drag racing, thats all that matters.

Trap speeds matter if you roll race

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score
ET's hands down.

IMO, dyno numbers are good as tuning tools and impress people who don't know much about cars. My most hated stat is 0-60, to many variables to be at all helpfull.

ET & trap speed are the real world application of a person building and driving their car.

I just hate how they test 0-60 times with street tires on these 500+ hp cars...like wtf do you expect to happen there?

Throw on some drag radials or something and give us a real number.

Your exactly right on the HP numbers...most people actually have the mindset that a 400 hp car is faster than a 300 hp car, no matter what.

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score
damn right it can, that killed my 11 on my last track outing with this barn door im driving.

Tire difference for my car

Street tires: 12.2-12.3~@116 mph 2.0 60 foot
Nitto DRs: no launch, hook in first gear, 11.70@ 120-121 mph 1.8 60 foot
Slicks: Launching, 11.35@121+mph 1.65 60 foot

I saw a full second of ET from my street tires to slicks.

Traction is huge, no doubt about it.

Also would like to point out how many people tried to convince me I would NOT pick up MPH on slicks or Drs with better traction.

When your spinning half way down the track on street tires you can easily pick up MPH with better traction from my experience

sweet94GT

Reaction score
While dyno numbers are fun and cool, you don't win races by showing someone a piece of paper says your car is faster. You win races by PROVING your car is faster at the track. Enter driver mod here

MadStang

Reaction score
Dyno numbers are an unfortunate importance for building my motor... Power to weight limitations in NASA TT as well as American iron are based upon dyno numbers.... the more Hp i make, the more weight I need.

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score
Dyno numbers are an unfortunate importance for building my motor... Power to weight limitations in NASA TT as well as American iron are based upon dyno numbers.... the more Hp i make, the more weight I need.

Do they dyno all the cars on the same dyno/ same day?

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score
if you go to the National Championship, yes. otherwise regionals all you have to do is go to a NASA approved dyno shop.

Hmm, I would assume they choose shops with the same dynos cause you could go to a mustang dyno equipped shop and show a far lower number.

Rice_slayer

Reaction score
I agree 110% on the 0-60 thing, it pisses me off to no end. Do I know what my 0-60 is? F*ck no!!! I launch, and my speedo is almost at 40-50mph almost instantly, 0-60 only matters to brochure readers and street/e-racers to compare e-dick sizes. cut a 1.5/1.4 60 foot and I'm very impressed. I'm personally aiming for 1.6's with this car, changing those POS Race springs out might help :)

MadStang

Reaction score
Hmm, I would assume they choose shops with the same dynos cause you could go to a mustang dyno equipped shop and show a far lower number.

Yes they have numerous rules set forth, one of which it must be on a DynoJet and use SAE J1349 Rev Jun90 with a smoothing of 5.

they even get it at the tire pressure your car must have on the dyno. Very detailed rules.

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score
I agree 110% on the 0-60 thing, it pisses me off to no end. Do I know what my 0-60 is? F*ck no!!! I launch, and my speedo is almost at 40-50mph almost instantly, 0-60 only matters to brochure readers and street/e-racers to compare e-dick sizes. cut a 1.5/1.4 60 foot and I'm very impressed. I'm personally aiming for 1.6's with this car, changing those POS Race springs out might help :)

Lol, I did 1.65 but I have a pretty much 100% street suspension with slicks. I really dont know if the car has much more balls out of the hole to be honest.

Yes they have numerous rules set forth, one of which it must be on a DynoJet and use SAE J1349 Rev Jun90 with a smoothing of 5.

they even get it at the tire pressure your car must have on the dyno. Very detailed rules.

Gotcha, I figured they would regulate that pretty closely.

Power to weight ratio tells a lot more than a HP number anyway which im sure is what they are getting at

Knuckles@Empire

-Never Forget-
Reaction score
Yeh it looks like most people agree that E/T is what really matters when your putting together or atleast talking about a cars straight line performance. When i say E/T i should clarify thats its basically the all encompassing numbers that get printed out. A statement earlier said that MPH at the end of the 1320 is all that matters and i have to disagree, getting a "good" number with a good mph means you have put your particular combo together well. I also want to say that i dont think that just like a sub 10 sec pass is good because of course there are millions of different combos and classes all which have different goals and limitations put on them. Anyways its been very fun reading peoples opinions here, this is a conversation i have a bit with people in person.

302N20

Reaction score
As it has been said, dynos are just tuning tools. They all read different. You can'trace dyno sheets. Timeslips don't lie. I love whooping up on a car with 75-150 more hp than me on the track or on the street and watching them get all butt hurt because I call their car a simple dyno queen.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peasant99

Members online