wheres my oil going

danielson631

Reaction score
ok guys my low oil light came on today and it never did before unless i was parked on a incline with the engine facing downhill.
i checked it and it seemed low so i put more in. this happened maybe once before.

my question is, where the hell is my oil going?? it is not leaking outside the car, bc there is never any on the ground, and its not dripping onto anything.
my head gaskets are good from what i believe, and there is no oil in my coolant, and smoke does not come out of my tailpipes when i accelerate.

i did notice once that when i decelerate at a high rpm, i get a little bit of extra smokey exhaust, but nothing ridiculous.

can anyone explain to me where my oil may be dissapearing too?

Javi

Post Whore
Reaction score
im thinking the rings are gonna need to be replaced?

OP
OP
D

danielson631

Reaction score
its a 1996 cobra only mods are CAI and o/r H pipe car has 125,000 miles on it. sorry should have included that in statement above.

duff daddy

Legend
Reaction score
well if its when you decel im enclined to think its possibly valve seals starting to get worn or you could have a ring thats getting a little weak. i would do an oil change, and get some fresh stuff in there. then set your trip odometer and see how quickly it uses oil say a quart over x amoutn of miles

OP
OP
D

danielson631

Reaction score
Javi said:
im no expert but from what i have read it doesnt seem to be the piston rings. the car does not have any blue smoke coming out of the exhaust, like i said before it smokes a little bit when i decelerate at a high rpm, but the smoke is normal color, not really white or blue. i have not experience a loss of power niether.

i guess the best thing to do would just do a leakdown or compression test? any idea how much could one of these cost bc i do not have the equipment

Javi

Post Whore
Reaction score
Duff Daddy said:
well if its when you decel im enclined to think its possibly valve seals starting to get worn or you could have a ring thats getting a little weak.

yup.

danielson631 said:
i guess the best thing to do would just do a leakdown or compression test? any idea how much could one of these cost bc i do not have the equipment

you can rent it at the at just about any auto part sto', its very easy to use aswell.

duff daddy

Legend
Reaction score
well your oil doesnt magicly vanish, im sorry but what im trying to tell you is that it has 2 basic places to go, past the pistons or past the valve seals and in to the cylinder. other then that, if its not in the oil, then you may have alot more issues. BUT Ford, Chrysler and other manufactuers say its NORMAL to use 1 qt of oil for every 1,000 mi of usage

gearhead

Reaction score
danielson631 said:
Javi said:
im no expert but from what i have read it doesnt seem to be the piston rings. the car does not have any blue smoke coming out of the exhaust, like i said before it smokes a little bit when i decelerate at a high rpm, but the smoke is normal color, not really white or blue. i have not experience a loss of power niether.

You don't necessarily lose power if your oil control rings start to wear, or if your valve stem seals are going bad.

Like Javi said, I'd rent a CLT and do it yourself. They're a little over $100 bucks (Matco price) if you want to buy one. It's a good diagnostic tool to have.

I also agree with Duffman. Get some fresh oil in there before you do it, and measure how long it takes to go a quart low. My valve stem seals have been leaking since I got the car. I lose about a quart every 1.5-2k miles, and it hasn't gotten any worse in almost 4 years. I guess I'm just used to the blue smoke and having to keep a closer eye on the oil level.

Mean98GT

Reaction score
I had an oil leak on my car when I first got it. It was very small and almost unnoticeable. It was on the passenger side valve cover. The seals went bad. It did not drip went parked except for just a small amount on the sway bar. It really only leaked when I drove it. Maybe check the sway bar for some oil? Its worth a shot if you think your really not burning oil.

chaz

Reaction score
Im sure its just burning a little, not enough to see. My wifes car was burning about 1.5 Qt every 1000 miles and I added 1 qt lucas oil stabilize to it the next oil change and it went 5000 miles and only burned 1/2 qt. Stuff works great on cars over 100k miles

vermilion

Legend
Reaction score
possibly oil is slinging while you drive it from the main seals and not sitting. i have blow by and bad seals and add a quart every 100 miles. my engine is reaching 130k. it still runs great. i dont know about valve seals in cobras but in GTs they were notorious to be bad from the factory.

gearhead

Reaction score
Vermilion said:
possibly oil is slinging while you drive it from the main seals and not sitting. i have blow by and bad seals and add a quart every 100 miles. my engine is reaching 130k. it still runs great. i dont know about valve seals in cobras but in GTs they were notorious to be bad from the factory.

Holy crap a quart every 100 miles? You don't even need to change it, just keep puttin it in!!

duff daddy

Legend
Reaction score
gearhead said:
Vermilion said:

Holy crap a quart every 100 miles? You don't even need to change it, just keep puttin it in!!

its actually more of a reason to change the oil filter and oil that your burning it because of sludge and the higher temps caused by lack of lubrication over a greater amount of time

lordgufi

Reaction score
oil can also enter the combustion chamber through the PCV. if your rings are indeed wearing out and allowing a bit of blow by it only accelerates this problem.

gearhead

Reaction score
Duff Daddy said:
gearhead said:
Vermilion said:

its actually more of a reason to change the oil filter and oil that your burning it because of sludge and the higher temps caused by lack of lubrication over a greater amount of time

You might was well pour it straight into the exhaust if you're burning that much though. That's a lot of money to pour into your engine, literally.

duff daddy

Legend
Reaction score
i go though a quart evewry 500... i couldnt give two shits less its funny when i show ppl my slips and i run faster with less hp AND burn more oil in an oil change then they use in 2 hahaha

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online