Which is the better deal?

1994gt

Reaction score
I have a 94 gt with 130k miles on it. Want to upgrade to gt40, gt40p heads and intake. Not sure if I want to swap the cam as well and tune it or just leave the stock cam in it. I have 2 options off craigslist for gt40p heads. First is a set that came of a running foxbody. He bought the car with them on it and isn't sure if the valve springs have been upgraded or not but they come with 1.7 crane roller rockers and said they ran on an e cam with no problem and they are $300 for the headers and roller rockers. Second option is a set that has been upgraded with trick flow springs and had the deck resurfaced 10k miles ago and don't come with anything else but the heads for $350. Neither state anything about a valve job or anything else other than what I stated here.

I heard that that if you run a cam other than stock that the 1.6 rr are good but stock cam can run 1.7 rr for a little extra lift but may have ptv issues. Are any othe these a good option or should I just find some stock ones and do the work myself, and by myself I mean machine shop. I can buy a n set of aluminum heads from lmr for $900 so I don't want to be too deep into gt40 heads. I know the aluminum heads are the way to go but budget wise right now aren't an option. I'm just wanting a little more punch out of my stock motor until I get around to building another one. Btw, my motor right now has the typical bolt ons. Headers, off road X pipe, flow master dumps, Cai, 70 mm throttle body, and a msd tune up. My headers are the bbk shorties and I'm already running 90 degree plug wires so I shouldn't have issues running gt40p heads according to what I've read.

So so what are your thoughts on this? I'm not looking for the "300hp to the wheels" like many others are from this setup, but just a bump to keep me happy. You know us, can't ever leave these cars alone.

Addermk2

Reaction score
I have a 94 gt with 130k miles on it. Want to upgrade to gt40, gt40p heads and intake. Not sure if I want to swap the cam as well and tune it or just leave the stock cam in it. I have 2 options off craigslist for gt40p heads. First is a set that came of a running foxbody. He bought the car with them on it and isn't sure if the valve springs have been upgraded or not but they come with 1.7 crane roller rockers and said they ran on an e cam with no problem and they are $300 for the headers and roller rockers. Second option is a set that has been upgraded with trick flow springs and had the deck resurfaced 10k miles ago and don't come with anything else but the heads for $350. Neither state anything about a valve job or anything else other than what I stated here.

Of those two options, I'd get the set with the trickflow springs. But lets be honest here.. do you even know if the springs were installed correctly in the first place.

Once upon a time, I was sucked into the "buy cheap heads and be good to go" whirlpool. after pricing out the parts necessary to freshen the heads, and the machine work itself... I was up near the $900 range. IMHO with all the great aluminum heads available, buying GT40 iron's is an unwise purchase.

I heard that that if you run a cam other than stock that the 1.6 rr are good but stock cam can run 1.7 rr for a little extra lift but may have ptv issues.
You dont have 1.6 RR's from the factory. If I recall correctly, they don't even have a roller tip.

Are any othe these a good option or should I just find some stock ones and do the work myself, and by myself I mean machine shop. I can buy a n set of aluminum heads from lmr for $900 so I don't want to be too deep into gt40 heads. I know the aluminum heads are the way to go but budget wise right now aren't an option. I'm just wanting a little more punch out of my stock motor until I get around to building another one. Btw, my motor right now has the typical bolt ons. Headers, off road X pipe, flow master dumps, Cai, 70 mm throttle body, and a msd tune up. My headers are the bbk shorties and I'm already running 90 degree plug wires so I shouldn't have issues running gt40p heads according to what I've read.

So so what are your thoughts on this? I'm not looking for the "300hp to the wheels" like many others are from this setup, but just a bump to keep me happy. You know us, can't ever leave these cars alone.

Don't buy junk parts just for the sake of buying parts. If you don't have the money to build it right now... save it. Af for what can be done for a good "bump", Have you considered gears?

OP
OP
1994gt

1994gt

Reaction score
I have but I don't have any of the special tools to install them as in a press. I currently have 3.08 and I want 3.73. It's a manual transmission.

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
You would feel a pretty big difference with the gearing.

As Adder noted, of the two I would have also gone for the trickflow, albeit there are better options out there. and factory is not rollers.

Gears you can usually have said and done at a reputable shop, parts and labor for somewhere in the 4-500 range

blackdemon007

Reaction score
Local speed shop near me did whole rear end (axles, gears, and differential) for $350.

OP
OP
1994gt

1994gt

Reaction score
I just called the local ford dealer and they wanted $1060 to do it all. Gears and new seals. That's nuts. I'm not sure of any speed shops near me that would do any of that. I'm usually fixing things myself so I don't know of any good shops in my area.

blackdemon007

Reaction score
I just called the local ford dealer and they wanted $1060 to do it all. Gears and new seals. That's nuts. I'm not sure of any speed shops near me that would do any of that. I'm usually fixing things myself so I don't know of any good shops in my area.

Where are you located, I'm sure someone here can point you to a good shop.

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I am sure someone near you can install gears. That $350 is a steal. My estimate was including price of new gears, lube and seals though.

EVILSN

Reaction score
A top end and cam install is really simple actually. I just did a e cam and gt40 top end to my wife's car with my old parts off my car. I would save your money and go for some AFR heads, or even gt40x heads if your on a budget. and for the gears that's not a bad job either of you have a press available.https://vimeo.com/143012341

Sent from my iPhone using My dick

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
senior001

Members online