whining noise from rear end

BillG

Reaction score
Ok folks it's back from AC repair and I'm noticing a few things while driving with no radio. I'm getting a whining noise from back so wanting to know if its something I need to be worried about. Second I have no check engine lights but it accelerates kind of weird and it could be because I'm use to driving a truck.

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
You siad at one time car has been sitting for a while
Check to see if any leaks on the diff. Could be low on gear oil
If not change it and see if it goes away
And also add the the positive traction oil / additive with it

OP
OP
BillG

BillG

Reaction score
a slight whine is not unusual. If it keeps getting worse then get worried.
You said at one time car has been sitting for a while
Check to see if any leaks on the diff. Could be low on gear oil
If not change it and see if it goes away
Yea it sat in a garage and the rear cover was covered with oily crude but there was no sign of leaks since it has been sitting in my garage and cleaned up. I was wondering if fluid may or is an issue. Will pop the check bolts out and check. I may even break down and get it serviced just to be safe. Will have to call and see how painful it would be. It has the SVO differential cover on it. Thanks so much for insight.

ron

Reaction score
I changed the bearings 2 times after I put 3:55s in my 97 vert . I autocross it 1 time a month in the summer on a parking lot . 85/90 degrees on blacktop . the 3rd time I set it up a little looser. it does whine a little but I havnt had a problem yet.

OP
OP
BillG

BillG

Reaction score
Ok guys. Gonna jump in with both feet and change the rear end gear oil and take a look and see what it looks like. The big question is do I run synthetic or conventional and do I add the additive. According to the book its 3.75 quarts for this thing. Any suggestions or what have you guys used in the past.

D3VST8R96GT

Reaction score
They changed the recommendation for all ford rear ends. Pretty sure its 75w90 and for some reason I want to say it only comes in synthetic. You need friction modifier if your running the ford LSD dif. You may just need to add fluid to make the whine go away.
The information is from the hip lol

01yellercobra

Reaction score
75w-140 is specced for the carbon fiber clutch packs and only comes as a synthetic. 75w-90 is for the other style and is available in both conventional and synthetic. I have both kinds in my garage.

OP
OP
BillG

BillG

Reaction score
They changed the recommendation for all ford rear ends. Pretty sure its 75w90 and for some reason I want to say it only comes in synthetic. You need friction modifier if your running the ford LSD dif. You may just need to add fluid to make the whine go away.
The information is from the hip lol
I drained the rear. Couldn't get the plug out of front plug and wasn't going to strip or round out the plug. Lucky for me it has a ford racing SVO cover on it with drain plug and fill plug built in. I called ford and they said 75w140 or 80w90 would work. Now the question is I got synthetic and guys at garage say don't add friction modifier. So now I just need to know if I need it or not. Gonna clean every thing up inside in morning. Need to order new bolts for cover, had a few that the allen heads where close to rounded out.

OP
OP
BillG

BillG

Reaction score
75w-140 is specced for the carbon fiber clutch packs and only comes as a synthetic. 75w-90 is for the other style and is available in both conventional and synthetic. I have both kinds in my garage.

This is for a 95 vert that they put a cobra engine and drive train in. No tag on rear so I have no clue what is actually in rear. Got 75w140 full synthetic so just need to figure out if I need additive or not.

01yellercobra

Reaction score
This is for a 95 vert that they put a cobra engine and drive train in. No tag on rear so I have no clue what is actually in rear. Got 75w140 full synthetic so just need to figure out if I need additive or not.
Needing additive depends on the fluid you have. It'll say if it has friction modifier on the bottle somewhere. If it doesn't say it then I would add some.

PinkieT

Reaction score
It says it is good for limited slip differentials, so I'm thinking you should be good to go. The fine print on the back of the bottle might tell you it meets Ford specs. If I was at work, I would go check a bottle.

OP
OP
BillG

BillG

Reaction score
It says it is good for limited slip differentials, so I'm thinking you should be good to go. The fine print on the back of the bottle might tell you it meets Ford specs. If I was at work, I would go check a bottle.
Thanks so much man for info.

OP
OP
BillG

BillG

Reaction score
Alright got it drained and cover cleaned up and it is a ford racing cover with the ford stamp on the inside so now to the important question. I sprayed the inside down with brake cleaner and cleaned it all out. No Metal and no crud inside at all but it was awful dark on the gears and everything looked like it was smoked . Now as I was turning the rear wheels to clean the whole assembly I did hear a squeak as I was turning sounding like from pinion gear area. Oh and the front plug may be stripped cause I can't get anything to stick or lock into it to remove it. Might be why it has the racing cover on it. I'm sure it didn't come stock. I have no tag so no way of knowing what's in it. Gears look good with no signs of wear and it didn't seem like 2 quarts came out of the rear end.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online