Who here has painted your intake

Kornnut

Reaction score
I stripped down my typhoon I bought, and I am going to paint it this weekend. Not looking for show quality but what did you use. I bought the hi temp primer. I was wanting some sort of gloss black on it. Can I clear it?

Downshift

Reaction score
When I bought my intake it was used, they had powder coated it ford blue and then painted it black :comando: and it was chipped so I took it to one of my old teachers at the college and he let me use the sand blaster. Got as much of the black off as possible, the blue was NOT coming off. The sand was kinda old and could be more coarse but still it wasnt budging. So I took it home cleaned it really good with superclean and brakeclean and taped it off and painted it semi gloss black with paint I got from work (Autozone). Its the engine enamel stuff. 500degree paint. It looks really good and its held up so far.

scott5

Reaction score
My buddy just took high-temp paint and sprayed his black. When i get my gt-40 or cobra intake im painting it with engine enamel.

94yellowgt

Reaction score
Painted my GT40 intake with left over Dupont Chromabase (2000 Dodge Stratus silver).

Suspect

Reaction score
powdercoat it! svtblack95 can hook u up. O0

SvtBlack95

Reaction score
theres 2 solutions for taking powdercoat off and theres this stuff from eastwood that is made to take off the coatings or you can use acetone used both and they work the same ....... with powdercoating if you dont like the color you can powdercoat over it with any color and you wont know the difference

scootin95gts

Reaction score
so how would you use acetone to take it off?Ive powdercoated before but never thought that stuff would take it off.We always used an orbital sander or sandblast

MeanGrn Gt

Reaction score
if you can powdercoat it go for it. I painted mine with duplicolor high temp engine enamel (500 degree stuff). Its looks pretty good.... shit i need to get pics of it but right now it is not home. When i get it back home i better get er done ;D

SvtBlack95

Reaction score
acetone comes cheap so i bought a couple of gallons of it and you can always reuse it so it lasts for a long time..... dump it in a bucket and throw the part in it fully submerged check back on it about 30 minutes later and watch the powdercoat run off it..... you can also sandblast it after you dip it in the acetone cuz the coating is weak and it will come off very easy

OP
OP
K

Kornnut

Reaction score
Could I clear coat it? I got it painted this weekend and was wondering if I should clear it.

OP
OP
K

Kornnut

Reaction score
167717.jpg

red95gtcoupe

Reaction score
I just used some high temp black paint from WM. I cleaned it with degreaser really good, dried it and put a bunch of light even coats on.

100_0233.jpg

OP
OP
K

Kornnut

Reaction score
Looks real good. I was going to paint the ribs on the intake itself but didn't turn out well. So its all black.

scootin95gts

Reaction score
is there anyway that you could buy the intake like that one to where i dont have to purchase an elbow cuz i like the one piece look

Quick96Mystic

Reaction score
Awww man that looks beautiful :naughty:

red95gtcoupe said:
I just used some high temp black paint from WM. I cleaned it with degreaser really good, dried it and put a bunch of light even coats on.

100_0233.jpg

Downshift

Reaction score
red95gtcoupe said:

100_0233.jpg

Damn that looks great. Thats how I wanted mine, but even when I used semi-gloss engine enamel it still turned out really well glossy haha.

SvtBlack95

Reaction score
im doining my intake manifold this week and my valve covers so i will take some pics of my process before and after freshly powdercoated :)

red95gtcoupe

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I was lucky enough to find a cobra intake out of a 94-95 so I didnt need the elbow. I forget exactly which high temp paint I used, it was something at WalMart. I just made sure to clean it really well and spray light coats. Now that its on the car the hood blanket rubbed off some of the top where the red was (I have a spacer).

Brian

OP
OP
K

Kornnut

Reaction score
169636.jpg

169637.jpg

I gotta fix where the plate meets up with the intake cause some red shows through. Other then that I am happy with the 8 bucks I spent.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cwacaser

Members online